Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

CD/Amplifier/Wireless Speakers?

Search this Thread

Old 29 November 2005, 12:54 PM
RESSE
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Question CD/Amplifier/Wireless Speakers?

I am looking at replacing my Technics CD player + amplifier (birthday presents in 1987).

They have given excellent service, but technology has moved on........

Question is, what is a good single play CD + amplifier + wireless speaker combination.

The CD and amp need to fit in a "slot" above the TV - height is approximately 6" - width not so important.

Is Technics the way to go, and are wireless speaker systems available for home systems?

Richard
Old 29 November 2005, 01:41 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Have a look at www.cyrus.co.uk They do a multi room jobbie, not sure if the speakers are wireless.

Their CD players win many awards, and their amps have started to as well.

Alcazar
Old 29 November 2005, 02:02 PM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Budget ??

I think you may be wanting a one box home cinema system, which comprises of CD/DVD player (maybe even VHS too) with surround processing and amplification built in. Wireless speaker systems are available, but will be a PIA. Speakers need a reasonable power supply which usually comes direct from the amp, try running them on batteries and they won't last long, especially when they need to also power up RF/IR receivers too.

Have a look at some of THESE for a start. Whichever you go for, make sure it's multi-region as then you can buy better quality and cheaper media on the net

Cyrus gear is usually first rate, but the prices also reflect this. I have an old (17yr) Cyrus amp (II & PSX) and CD player (dad7) which back in '88 cost me IRO £1500 which I still use daily and have compared to much new equipment (Musical Fidelity, Arcam, Sugden plus some valve amps) and I have no desire to waste money on replacing it as it still holds it's own against the new stuff. I also run a Pioneer multi-region DVD (565 with SACD & DVD-A) through a 7.1 Pioneer (VSX811) amp for movies. It was relatively cheap compared to the Cyrus stuff, but is superb for the money (£300 DVD and £280 amp).

If you want good surround you will pretty much have to accept that there will be wires and speakers all over the place, but with flat profile cabling and some of the small discrete surround speakers available it needn't be too intrusive. You could look at some of the psuedo surround systems (Bose ??) which use angled speakers to bounce surround effects off walls to emulate true surround sound, but they aren't very good IMHO.

Last edited by corradoboy; 29 November 2005 at 02:12 PM.