Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Dog cages for cars?

Search this Thread

Old 28 November 2005, 04:04 PM
Leagro
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Dog cages for cars?

Interested to know if anyone out there uses a dog cage\crate in their car to transport dog(s) around.

I've currently been using a dog bag, but as we're getting a new car (Volvo V50) I'm looking for an alternative. The dog bag is ok, but doesn't seem to have the structural strength to cope with out dog (retriever size). Also, it's rather enclosed, which the dog vocally objects to (annoyingly)!

I was thinking about using a dog cage instead, as we used on inside the house when he was a puppy. I've found a website that does custom made ones for you car (for the right money, of course!)

Anyone else use a dog cage in a car? Are they practical for car use?
Old 28 November 2005, 04:11 PM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

I have the proper Subaru Dog Guard (mind you, that wasn't cheap). Volvo do a fold up one on their estates that is very good as well. I'd go for something like that unless you want to section off the boot. In which case you can go for the custom approach you suggest or you can buy a standard dog crate. I have seen both in use with our dog club. The custom made ones do look nice. Crates & custom have the advantage over a standard guard in that you can leave the tailgate up when parked and the dog can get some air.
Old 28 November 2005, 04:21 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

Never had a custom cage in the car. In the Impreza I had the subaru dog guard, which seemed to do the job, and in the volvo, the volvo dog guard. My friend had 3 Weims in the back of a mondeo with a standard halfords dog guard thing and it was safe and secure, as were the hounds

Unless you need to have other things in back as well as the dog then I don't see a need to have a cage.
Old 28 November 2005, 04:45 PM
Leagro
Scooby Regular

I'm looking for added protection to the boot area from the dog. Unfortunately our dog is a Window Licker in every sense & will spend ages when he first gets into the car "licking the windows!". Also, he has a habit of attracting dirt\rolling in ****, etc so I'd like to contain it as much as possible in the boot.
Old 28 November 2005, 04:49 PM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Leagro
I'm looking for added protection to the boot area from the dog. Unfortunately our dog is a Window Licker in every sense & will spend ages when he first gets into the car "licking the windows!". Also, he has a habit of attracting dirt\rolling in ****, etc so I'd like to contain it as much as possible in the boot.
Lol - portable jet wash and a muzzle / gaffer tape!!

A standard crate will do the job assuming you can get one big enough that he can get in to and that will fit the car. You can always buy plastic coated mesh and custom build something yourself.
Old 28 November 2005, 04:53 PM
Brendan Hughes
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Got one from a petshop in Tunbridge Wells, cost 70-quid odd IIRC, it would do for your dog (ours is now slightly too tall for it ). Folds flat, goes in the boot of the car when we went on holiday, extremely useful for reassuring hotel owners. He was acclimatised to it as a pup, slept in it at night, became his personal space; an adult might not be so happy.

Edit - just re-read - practical for car - well, ours was slightly too small for the height of the adult dog as if we'd bought the next size up, its length wouldn't have fitted between the two wheel wells. So depends on what car you have and what interior dimensions.

We don't use it now really except when we absolutely must.

Last edited by Brendan Hughes; 28 November 2005 at 04:56 PM.
Old 28 November 2005, 10:11 PM
stevewrxwagon
Scooby Regular

We had a custom one for our old Legacy from Hamsterbaskets.co.uk. Fantastic quality & customer service - 2 big benefits, no rattles & you can control access more easily as you can open the tailgate & your dog is still safe as you then have to open the cage door......

Downside is having to take the cage out if you are not transporting the dog & you want to use the boot for something else or living with the faffing about when all you want to do is put the shopping away & you have to open the tailgate & then the cage door.....

If you do go this route, make sure you double check the measurements - we got them wrong & then had to return it for 'adjustments'!

Steve
Old 28 November 2005, 10:35 PM
Ken 275
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Have a look / post on here :

http://www.volvoclub.org.uk/about.php

Good luck.

K.
Old 28 November 2005, 10:59 PM
drumsterphil
Scooby Regular

Suggest you check out Barjo cages.

www.barjo.co.uk

My parents have one in their Range Rover and it's a very well engineered piece of kit (and also Rottweiler proof! )
Old 29 November 2005, 01:48 PM
MooseRacer
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by stevewrxwagon
We had a custom one for our old Legacy from Hamsterbaskets.co.uk. Fantastic quality & customer service - 2 big benefits, no rattles & you can control access more easily as you can open the tailgate & your dog is still safe as you then have to open the cage door......

Downside is having to take the cage out if you are not transporting the dog & you want to use the boot for something else or living with the faffing about when all you want to do is put the shopping away & you have to open the tailgate & then the cage door.....

If you do go this route, make sure you double check the measurements - we got them wrong & then had to return it for 'adjustments'!

Steve
Another thumbs up for these guys. You can also take your car to them to be measured if you're close by.
Old 29 November 2005, 01:57 PM
Diablo
Scooby Regular

Hi mate,

There is no substitute for a made to measure cage
Old 29 November 2005, 02:10 PM
Leagro
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the info - Hamsterbaskets.co.uk was the site I looked at originally for custom made cages - good to know they have a few recommendations here.
Old 29 November 2005, 02:30 PM
kbsub
Scooby Regular

I have had a couple of Lintran dog boxes , not cheap but when your done stick it on eBay and get most of your money back , also saves getting dog snot all over the rear and side windows

http://www.lintran-products.co.uk/
Old 11 December 2010, 07:29 AM
nik52wrx
Scooby Regular

We used a cage when our dog was smaller but now she's grown we've opted for a full guard behind the seats with a divider piece which is useful as it gives the dog 2/3rds of the boot and the remainder is for shopping etc.

Bought from here...
http://www.travall.co.uk/?gclid=CKeZ...FWZk4wodRSiC3Q

Nik.
Old 11 December 2010, 09:26 PM
Adrian F
Scooby Regular

I use a Light'N'Easy collapsible fabric crate (£50) in the back of my WRX Wagon which is quiet and easy to take in and out (to get to the spare tyre for example) As it has a fine mesh sides it traps a lot of the fur when my Chessies shake. I can leave the car doors and tailgate open in warm weather with dogs zipped inside the crate when they were to young to stay on command

I take it out and wash it regularly but you dont get all the smell of "Dog" out but can leave it in the garage when not taking the dogs.

It is tall narrow and long so allows other things beside it but these type of crates come in various sizes.

The other advantage is i have the back seats down and the crate pushed forward to try and keep my dogs out of the rear crumple zone as if they were in the boot and some idiot runs into the back of me they would be killed
Old 12 December 2010, 01:10 PM
Puff The Magic Wagon!
Support Scoobynet!

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

I always use a foldup dog-crate for taking the dog around - refuse to otherwise. Dog can get through the gap in the Volvo one anyway (Border Terrier)

The idea of a dog crate is if you have an accident and the back door flies open, doggy doesn't bugger off into the middle of the road in fright and cause more mayhem.