Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

extended opening hours - is this right???

Search this Thread

Old 24 November 2005, 11:29 AM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default extended opening hours - is this right???

OK it is upon us and i am happy to see how things go and can't wait to say 'i told you so!' when it all goes wrong

Anyway

I was half listening to the news last night and i am sure i heard it said that some pubs will have last orders as per usual, chuck out at 11:20hrs appprox and then re-open their doors at midnight to allow people back in to continue drinking.

I am have heard it all wrong and it does sound a daft thing to do but if this is the case will it not cause just the sort of problems we have now. with drunk peole on the street hanging around the pubs waiting to get back in or going for food and then back to the pubs?!?

This is not he case for all premisis so not sure what the point is.

Paul
Old 24 November 2005, 11:32 AM
Scooby-Mark
Scooby Regular

Don't know if it is correct but sounds like the sort of stupid idea that would be thought up
Old 24 November 2005, 11:38 AM
fast bloke
Scooby Regular

This was just last night as the new hours didn't apply until midnight. It will be straight through tonight
Old 24 November 2005, 11:38 AM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

I suspect it was for last night only, the new law didn't become active until midnight.
Old 24 November 2005, 11:39 AM
fast bloke
Scooby Regular

Talking

Originally Posted by OllyK
I suspect it was for last night only, the new law didn't become active until midnight.
Thats what I said
Old 24 November 2005, 11:41 AM
STi wanna Subaru
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by fast bloke
Thats what I said
Maybe he doesn't speak Irish?
Old 24 November 2005, 11:42 AM
unclebuck
Scooby Regular

Let the misery commence. (Glad I don't live near a pub)
Old 24 November 2005, 11:43 AM
TelBoy
Scooby Regular

Talking

Well done, Paul, finger on the pulse
Old 24 November 2005, 11:44 AM
fast bloke
Scooby Regular

Talking

Originally Posted by STi wanna Subaru
Maybe he doesn't speak Irish?
Ah to be shore to be shore dahad be da tord toime da has happend tday

Dya loike moi dag
Old 24 November 2005, 11:45 AM
Chip
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by unclebuck
Me too.

Chip
Old 24 November 2005, 11:47 AM
STi wanna Subaru
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by fast bloke
Ah to be shore to be shore dahad be da tord toime da has happend tday

Dya loike moi dag
Old 24 November 2005, 11:47 AM
TelBoy
Scooby Regular

Question

Isn't the likely effect *less* of the misery? That is, less tanking up to beat the 11pm deadline, and people wandering home only when they're skint or too tired to continue, and probably in much less of a mood to cause trouble..??
Old 24 November 2005, 11:49 AM
fast bloke
Scooby Regular

I think it will be a good thing - the people who usually hang around the chippy fighting will stay in the pub until they are completely snottered and then have to be taken away by ambulance. They will get to the hospital and find after a 5 hour wait that they wont be treated cos of the new NHS plans, so they will have to crawl home from the hospital, at about 11.00AM. All us decent citizens should be sat safely behind they keyboard while they are picking fights in the chippy at lunchtime (maybe with the exception of Poor Guy)
Old 24 November 2005, 11:57 AM
InvisibleMan
Scooby Regular

im sure itll be less too. Last orders at 11pm then chucking out at 11:20pm. ok so i might drink slow & like a girl but 20mins to down alcohol doesnt sound good, drinking too quickly, thats when itll hit you.
Also whats not good is those bars thats like last orders, ok times up, music stops & you get bundled out by bouncers within 5mins. Its a sudden physcological downer that im sure doesnt help

Last edited by InvisibleMan; 24 November 2005 at 11:59 AM.
Old 24 November 2005, 11:57 AM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by TelBoy
Well done, Paul, finger on the pulse
How does **** off!!! sound Tel

TBH i could not see it as a working solution but makes sense for last night so thanks for putting me straight.
Old 24 November 2005, 12:04 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

It may or not work, but it seems to be giving the wrong message somehow, rather like putting cannabis in the lowest class of forbidden drugs!

This lot seem to be very good at instituting new laws and rules without thinking it through first!

Glad I don't live near a pub either.

Les
Old 24 November 2005, 12:08 PM
TelBoy
Scooby Regular

Temporary effect, in my opinion, that was/is bound to occur.

Once the novelty's worn off, i don't forsee problems.
Old 24 November 2005, 12:09 PM
unclebuck
Scooby Regular

Isn't the likely effect *less* of the misery? That is, less tanking up to beat the 11pm deadline, and people wandering home only when they're skint or too tired to continue, and probably in much less of a mood to cause trouble..??
If drunks want to fight each other who cares? I used to live in Clifton Bristol - a well known place for big groups of tw@ts to go on pub crawls. 11:00pm used to get loads of noise, people puking, peeing, vandalising cars etc every Friday and Saturday 52 weeks a year. But - it only lasted about 20 mins and they were gone (although this was intollerable enough). What will happen now is that this period will last for several hours instead of a few minutes. As I say, i'm glad I no longer live in an area blighted by pubs.
Old 24 November 2005, 12:11 PM
suprabeast
Scooby Regular

I agree with Telboy, wasn't there a big outrage when pubs could stay open all day. Everyone was under the impression that punters would then stay in the pub all day and there would be trouble.

But now no one even thinks about it
Old 24 November 2005, 12:11 PM
TelBoy
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

I don't see why that should be the case at all, UB.

Primarily because there won't be masses of drunken people out on the pavements at the same time now. No??
Old 24 November 2005, 12:19 PM
STi wanna Subaru
Scooby Regular

If drunks want to fight each other who cares? I used to live in Clifton Bristol - a well known place for big groups of tw@ts to go on pub crawls. 11:00pm used to get loads of noise, people puking, peeing, vandalising cars etc every Friday and Saturday 52 weeks a year. But - it only lasted about 20 mins and they were gone (although this was intollerable enough). What will happen now is that this period will last for several hours instead of a few minutes. As I say, i'm glad I no longer live in an area blighted by pubs.
there will still be the same number of people going home at different times. So it could be very likely that there is less noice, bother etc. Still it wont bother you UB as all you do is sit on here or watch TV
Old 24 November 2005, 12:19 PM
unclebuck
Scooby Regular

I don't see why that should be the case at all, UB.

Primarily because there won't be masses of drunken people out on the pavements at the same time now. No??
No. Because they will be there all of the time. 20 mins - get rid of them end of. Now it will be 2-3hours of it instead. As I say if you've never lived in an area blighted by this sort of stuff you have no idea of the misery it causes to residents. I say again - I'm glad I don't live in an area where there are pubs.
Old 24 November 2005, 12:22 PM
TelBoy
Scooby Regular

I think you're being overly pessimistic here. The point i'm making is that although these people WILL be coming out at all times, rather than all at once, the very fact that they AREN'T all there together, and have in fact only left the pub because they're ready to go home, will in my opinion *reduce* the overall nuisance burden. I guess we'll have to wait and see, but i reckon it will work well.
Old 24 November 2005, 12:28 PM
unclebuck
Scooby Regular

I think you're being overly pessimistic here. The point i'm making is that although these people WILL be coming out at all times, rather than all at once, the very fact that they AREN'T all there together, and have in fact only left the pub because they're ready to go home, will in my opinion *reduce* the overall nuisance burden. I guess we'll have to wait and see, but i reckon it will work well.
No - I have direct experience of these sorts of people (clearly you don't - just like the New Labout politicians who have these clever ideas). The new laws may prevent groups fighting with other groups, but this was never a problem. What it will do nothing to prevent is people puking on the street, pi$$ing in your garden, throwing take away litter everywhere, breaking property, putting traffic cones on the roofs of cars, stealing road signs, shouting, singing rugby songs etc, etc, etc. In fact this will increase because it will happen oover a longer period of time meaning that people will get even more drunk than ever and there will be even less police around to prevent it.
Old 24 November 2005, 12:37 PM
TelBoy
Scooby Regular

I just don't agree. I think that by the time people leave now, it will be because they've had enough, both in terms of drink and the hours they're prepared to sit in a pub. A lot of the problems you've cited i would argue stem *directly* from the closing time mentality.

Oh, and i have about 15 bars within about a third of a mile of me, if that makes a difference here
Old 24 November 2005, 12:39 PM
paul-s
Scooby Regular

once your drunk enough to already leave a road-cone on someones car, staying in the pub for longer will only make you ready for bed. once your past p1ssed its a case of keeping your eyes open.

I honestly cant see anything happening. Places were open later last night and nothing reported on the news. We shall see how the weekend goes however.

Staggering closing time will illiminate the need for people to rush to the pub after going home from work, getting there about 8 and having to chuck beers in order to get p1ssed by 11.

Wait and see - unless of course you can already see into the future and *know* whats going to happen, in which case why are you wasting your powers on Scoobynet ?
Old 24 November 2005, 12:45 PM
STi wanna Subaru
Scooby Regular

No - I have direct experience of these sorts of people (clearly you don't - just like the New Labout politicians who have these clever ideas). The new laws may prevent groups fighting with other groups, but this was never a problem. What it will do nothing to prevent is people puking on the street, pi$$ing in your garden, throwing take away litter everywhere, breaking property, putting traffic cones on the roofs of cars, stealing road signs, shouting, singing rugby songs etc, etc, etc. In fact this will increase because it will happen oover a longer period of time meaning that people will get even more drunk than ever and there will be even less police around to prevent it.
IBy that I take it you used to live next to a house of students
Old 24 November 2005, 12:48 PM
paul-s
Scooby Regular

let him have his paddy, he must have superhuman future telling powers
Old 24 November 2005, 01:02 PM
CooperS
Scooby Regular

Off out round the toon this weekend to give the new laws a test-run
Old 24 November 2005, 01:17 PM
Scooby-Mark
Scooby Regular

Talking

To be honest I see no reason why the new laws won't work, at the end of the day the sort of idiots that go around damaging other peoples property will still do it at 2am, 3am, 4am or whenever they leave the pub.

I used to live in Köln in Germany and they never had the problems we have at 11pm and 2pm, people just drifted off when they felt they were ready.

I now live a mile away from Broad street in Birmingham and see the problems regularly, people buying double rounds before last orders, drinking at mad speeds to get their quota in before 11pm and then all arriving on the street looking for the same thing, food and a taxi which leads to the inevitable fight !!

I also think on the plus side it could well make clubs etc.. cheaper, who will pay to get in somewhere and pay over the odds for a pint just to get a late drink, now that your local can stay open longer.

Quick Reply: extended opening hours - is this right???