Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Anyone know about Jobseekers Allowance etc?

Search this Thread

Old 23 November 2005, 10:45 AM
EddScott
Scooby Regular

Received 64 Likes on 32 Posts
Default Anyone know about Jobseekers Allowance etc?

My GF has been off work since October. The basic story is we split, she left her job and went to live in England with her folks. We get back together and shes now looking for work.

However at the start of November she tried to claim contributory jobseekers allowance. She called them today to ask what was happening and according to them she didn't pay enough NI during 02/03 so shes not entitled to a penny.

She didn't work full time during 02/03 becuase she took time out to look after our noew born daughter. Other than that, she has been in employment since she was 18.

Has anyone had to make this sort of claim before? She will have a job shortly but you'd think that during this time when she really needs it they'd actually do what they are supposed to do and help people whilst looking for work.

I F*cking hate this country! We recieve no working families becuase they overpaid us 3 years ago and have been telling us ever since we owe them. They now say she isn't entitled to jobseekers yet we've both had good jobs and obeyed the "system". Yet you've got these complete work shy b****ds who just hold thier hand out and money is shoved into them.
Old 23 November 2005, 11:09 AM
Stiff
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I can understand excatly where you're coming from there. I got nothing but messed about when I got laid off and the organisation when going in to sign was appaling. As for telephoning to enquire about something, forget it. You're lucky if you can get through and if you somehow manage it you end up getting passed from one office to another as they all claim "this isn't the dept you want. I'll put you through to someone else....."
I once went to sign once and was told "You didn't need to come in today, the offices are being moved about. They should have told you that last time you came! Just come back next time as normal" Rang a few days later to ask why I hadn't recieved any money. The reply "Your claim's been cancelled as you didn't turn up to sign on" WTF
Then they get my Surname wrong.
Then they get my N.I. wrong.
Then My Address.
Then my bank details.
It's been an utter farce from start to finish and can't wait to find work again.
Sorry for the rant. I feel better now.
Old 23 November 2005, 12:59 PM
EddScott
Scooby Regular

According to a website called "AskCab" (citizens advice) the way your entitlement to contribution based jobseekers allowance is decided is your level of NI paid during one year from the last two tax years.

Now they've said they are going from tax year 02/03 which is her worst year due to time of looking after the baby. I don't see why the could not have used 03/04 or 04/05 which will have a much higher level of NI contribution. And whats more if it is one of the last two tax years why are they using a tax year three years ago.

Shes talking to citizens advice now to see if they can shed some light on this and then she's back to the jobcentre to argue the above point and to start her appeal process. If shes luck she might get some money by the time our daughter goes to Uni.
Old 23 November 2005, 01:04 PM
mart360
Scooby Regular

As you know i got made redundant last week,

the jobcentre (haha) is the last place on my list to be visited.

why.

because if i want to be patronised, spoken to like i,m two years old, and generally made to feel inadequate, i can get that in many other places.

benefits,,, what feckin benefits,,, your wife works, good she can support you.

need money, sorry where not a charidy. have you thought of retraining, being a brickie. a plumber...

your not being very copoerative we have plenty of jobs,,, maccy d,s burger k etc..

Mart
Old 23 November 2005, 01:11 PM
InvisibleMan
Scooby Regular

they dont even know themselves so youre fighting a loosing battle. If you are entitled expect it 3-6months later.
Old 23 November 2005, 01:16 PM
Petem95
Scooby Regular

Youve just got to lie a bit to get money out the system mate

Just get your gf to change her name to Sajib Mohammed - tell her to dress up in a ninja outfit, go to the jobseekers place and claim shes an illegal immigrant and refuses to work because its against her religion - then look forward to a flood of benefits, new house and automatic que-jumping for the NHS!!.....
Old 23 November 2005, 01:27 PM
EddScott
Scooby Regular

mart360 - they did suggest that she might like to try Wimpy.

She was working as a home carer but that job sucked pretty bad largely due to the crap attitude of the other carers and indeed the local council carers - one old boy who ate dog food and eventually died of something non-dog food related was considered pefectly fine even though he was barking.

She wants to retrain as a hairdresser of all things which means a years full time education. Shes really only looking for something to cover her few bills and a bit of spendo for clothes etc. I pay everything else although it can become annoying having to carry someone for a while. Considering my hairdresser charges me £10 a pop for 15 minutes, my GF should be able to keep me once trained!

Its not that we are really in the poo with money buts its very frustrating when the system stiffs you royally.

Trending Topics

Old 23 November 2005, 02:56 PM
JamesG
Scooby Regular

She should be able to claim income based JSA. If she has no income, she may be entitled to the full amount, which is the same amount as contributions based. The system is a nightmare though and wouldn't wish it on anyone.
Old 23 November 2005, 03:31 PM
EddScott
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by JamesG
She should be able to claim income based JSA. If she has no income, she may be entitled to the full amount, which is the same amount as contributions based. The system is a nightmare though and wouldn't wish it on anyone.
Apparently not becuase I'm working. Only course of action now for her is attempt to appeal which is probably a waste of time but I'll write a letter for her tonight.

If I were a less honourable person,, I'd just stop work, hold my hand out and watch my *** grow - and father about a dozen kids and never work again AND be better off than I am now.

R
Old 23 November 2005, 03:57 PM
InvisibleMan
Scooby Regular

if your working & have at least £3k savings then no she wont