Flu Vaccine Runs Out.....

Search this Thread

Old 22 November 2005, 12:38 PM
unclebuck
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Flu Vaccine Runs Out.....

Ding Dong Merrily on High....

As the selfish and the stupid push their way to the front of the queue in order to vaccine themselves against 'bird flu'!! supplies have run out leaving the genuinely vulnerable at risk from the common influenza virus.

Anyone with half a brain should know that this will offer no protection at all against aviant flu if it did ever cross into humans. Of course, these people clearly don't possess even a small fraction of a brain between them.

With behaviour like this from the 'able bodied' what hope is there for the elderly and genuinely needy in our society ...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/4456876.stm
Old 22 November 2005, 12:40 PM
davegtt
Scooby Senior

Everyman for himself
Old 22 November 2005, 12:46 PM
ajm
Scooby Regular

I knew this would happen... I was talking to a doctor about it 6 months ago saying they really should restrict who gets it because people (and I include certain politicians with this) can't seem to get their heads around the fact that vaccines can't be made until the viral form presents itself!

Certainly in our area you need to be over 60 I think, or particularly vulnerable due to certain illness etc. in order to be eligable to be vaccinated against the more common forms of influenza.

Still, while they are busy getting themselves vaccinated for nothing the rest of us can stock up on petrol, milk and bread!

I wonder if Tony has been done!...
Old 22 November 2005, 12:48 PM
drumsterphil
Scooby Regular

Well, if the media (NL-front?) hadn't tried to spread mass-panic over the threat of Avian flu then we wouldn't be in this mess!

People never fail to amaze me as to how stupid and gullable they can be!
Old 22 November 2005, 12:58 PM
springbok
Scooby Regular

I cann't believe that doctors would give out the influenza jab to anyone who is not in the 'at risk' criteria.

My surgery had a flu clinic about a month ago.
If you are in the at risk group you get sent a card to say come in on the 'flu jab day'
They wouldn't just give it out like sweeties
Old 22 November 2005, 01:11 PM
SJ_Skyline
Scooby Senior

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This would be so much easier with ID cards and a national ID database. Only the needy would get the jab and with a national database it would be easy to identify that the needy were also those that voted labour at the last election. Killing off a chunk of the older population would also make the hole in the pension funds look a lot smaller.

Cynical - moi?
Old 22 November 2005, 01:11 PM
Sport160
Scooby Regular

But they do. For example where I work we have a company doctor from a local surgery. The company arranges with the doctor for flu jabs for as many staff as want to have it, regardless of risk category.

Anyway I thought many of the shortages this year were caused by a significant manufacturing/supply issue at one of the drug companies. IIRC one of them had its entire product rejected after testing.
Old 22 November 2005, 01:22 PM
Nicci
Scooby Senior

My doctors send me a letter every year telling me to go for a flu jab as they think I am high risk (I disagree).

Each year I have to contact them to say I do not want the jab. I would rather an old person gets protected against flu.
Old 22 November 2005, 01:39 PM
unclebuck
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Sport160
But they do. For example where I work we have a company doctor from a local surgery. The company arranges with the doctor for flu jabs for as many staff as want to have it, regardless of risk category.
Yes, we get this as well. Needless to say I decline as I don't consider myself 'high risk'. Seemed that most of those taking up the offer were the usual suspects that are always gorging on anything provided free by the company. You know, the middle management self-seeking door mat types.
Old 22 November 2005, 01:47 PM
Sport160
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by unclebuck
Yes, we get this as well. Needless to say I decline as I don't consider myself 'high risk'. Seemed that most of those taking up the offer were the usual suspects that are always gorging on anything provided free by the company. You know, the middle management self-seeking door mat types.
LOL, interesting analysis. I wonder how you can define the risk category by either their position in the company, or by looking at them

However it does seem wrong that commercial organisations are able to obtain supplies regardless of risk category, when there are supply shortages
Old 22 November 2005, 02:11 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Billy boy will be drinking free Tamiflu every morning for breakfast!

Les