Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Professional CV company??

Search this Thread

Old 17 November 2005, 11:19 PM
princessyin
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Professional CV company??

Does anyone have any suggestions of who I can use for updating my CV? Been made redundant from my first job since graduation and don't have much to put it in it (currently stands at 1 A4 page ). Need to have a professional looking CV so i can at least get a look in for jobs i'm applying for.

Thanks
Old 18 November 2005, 08:45 AM
Ray_li
Scooby Regular

Don't know if its true but I've been told someone reading loads of CVs can spot a professional CV
Old 18 November 2005, 08:55 AM
mart360
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by princessyin
Does anyone have any suggestions of who I can use for updating my CV? Been made redundant from my first job since graduation and don't have much to put it in it (currently stands at 1 A4 page ). Need to have a professional looking CV so i can at least get a look in for jobs i'm applying for.

Thanks

total jobs. com & just engineers.net.

both i believe offer a professional cv service. but i think you have to pay.

Mart

forgot to add, unless at director level, dont go over 1 page of a4 you get approx 10secs to evaluate a cv at first cut. over 1 page and chances are you wont get a second cut..

best method. double side an a4, looks very professional too

Mart

Last edited by mart360; 18 November 2005 at 08:57 AM.
Old 18 November 2005, 09:09 AM
Drunken Bungle Whore
Scooby Regular

The general job websites can give you lots of good advice - try:

www.reed.co.uk or www.monster.co.uk

Some thoughts about putting it together - write down all the things you do during a typical day. Then go through it and ID the things that don't get done if you're not at work - i.e. what are the things you have sole responsibility for?

Key things employers like to see these days - involvement in projects and change programmes.

Also, don't keep a rigid CV. Tailor it for each job you apply for - employers assume that the things you list first are the most important/ what you did most of - so change the order of things depending on the ad you're replying to. Also change the wording to match their language - each organisation has it's own way of saying things so tune into that from how they've worded the ad.

Good luck!

Old 18 November 2005, 09:52 AM
paulr
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Drunken Bungle *****

Key things employers like to see these days - involvement in projects and change programmes.
Care to expand a bit please.
Old 18 November 2005, 10:08 AM
Drunken Bungle Whore
Scooby Regular

No problem! Most organisations are going through some sort of change - new technology, new ways of doing business etc and many of them are keen to see applicants who've had experience of dealing with change - either leading the implementations (projects) or being on the front line and making it work.

Lots of people are resistant to change at work so employers are generally keen to see people who are flexible and can bring their experience(s) with them.

For example I've been working with 1000+ delivery drivers introducing electronic data terminals - safe to say they've not all been wild about the idea - but some of them have really seized the opportunity to make it work. They've got involved in training the other drivers how to use it, they've taken an interest in how the system works, they've helped us iron out teething troubles etc. If they leave the organisation then that's really valuable stuff to put on their CV.

Does that help?

Old 18 November 2005, 10:12 AM
paulr
Scooby Regular

Thanks yes.