Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Advice Requiered - Garage carried out wrong work

Search this Thread

Old 15 November 2005, 12:58 PM
Nimbus
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Advice Requiered - Garage carried out wrong work

My Car failed it's MOT a couple of weeks ago due to excessive play in the steering (the part that joins the track rod to the steering rack). I asked a few places for quotes and took it to a local garage that had done some other work for me. I tried to explain the problem to the guys there stating what it said on the MOT failer report (drag link end ball joint has exessive play). When I dropped the car off I asked if he had the right parts as they were not too sure on the phone. He showed me what Subaru had sent, but I could not tell if this was right or not as I'm not a machanic.

When I picked the car up I asked if there were any problems and he said no. They had even done the 4 wheel alingment. I asked if there was any play in the wheels now and again told no. All well then I thought.

When I re-booked the car in for it's retest the guy said to check that they had indeed done the right bit as he had seen other cars where they had replaced the wrong parts. I've just been out to check and they have infact replaced the part of the track rod nearest the wheen, not where it joins the rack. I jacked up one of the front wheels and there's still play in rod! I don't know how they managed to do the wheel alingment with it like this, or why they failed to mention it when I picked the car up, despite my asking the specific question!

Where do I stand on getting this put right? I've now no time to get the car in for a free re-test so that's another £30+ down the drain. Should they replace the correct parts FOC? I don't mind paying for the correct parts themselves, but not the labour. I also want a free MOT out of them. How should I play this?

Urgent advice apprecated as I'me taking the car back at 3pm to get the hand break adjusted after the replaced the rear disks and pads.

Thanks

Last edited by Nimbus; 15 November 2005 at 01:01 PM.
Old 15 November 2005, 01:18 PM
mad_dr
Scooby Regular

Providing you were clear on the symptons and allowed the garage to diagnose the problem, it is their responsibility to ensure that they buy the correct parts and fit them properly. If you have paid for a specific problem to be sorted, it is their issue to do so.

It would be a different matter if you had simply driven in and asked them to replace a specific part.

As far as I know, if they have done the former, the sale of goods act applies and the work carried out is not fit for purpose. I think that as long as you give them the option to return the car to it's original state, they have to provide a refund.

Be reasonable. State your case and explain that you're looking for a win-win solution to suit you both. Explain that you feel that they have not carried out the correct work and offer for them to fit the correct parts - as you have suggested - with you paying for the parts but not labour. Alternatively, ask for a full refund. Also ask for a contribution towards the MOT retest - say 50% if they offer to fit the correct parts free.
Old 15 November 2005, 01:23 PM
Nimbus
Scooby Regular

They didn't look at the car before they carried out the work, although I did explain on the phone what the problem was and tell them what the MOT report stated. They weren't familer with the terms on the report I think. What gets me most is that they should have been able to see that the problem was not fiixed and there was still play in the joints when the carried out the work, especially when I specifically asked if the was any play now.

Cheers
Old 15 November 2005, 01:26 PM
mad_dr
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Nimbus
They didn't look at the car before they carried out the work, although I did explain on the phone what the problem was and tell them what the MOT report stated. They weren't familer with the terms on the report I think. What gets me most is that they should have been able to see that the problem was not fiixed and there was still play in the joints when the carried out the work, especially when I specifically asked if the was any play now.

Cheers
Exactly - PLUS they should have known by the symptoms, what would need doing to fix it! If they were unsure of the problem, syptoms, terms or solution, they had every opportunity to turn the work down and refuse your custom. The fact that they took the work on makes it their responsibility to ensure that they deliver.
Old 15 November 2005, 05:05 PM
Nimbus
Scooby Regular

Well, it went pretty well. They offered to fit the correct parts at the cost of parts only less a small discount including another wheel alignment. The also spoke to the place were I had the MOT done and after explaining they agreed that they would still be able to give a free re-test even though the repairs will be after the 14 days.

Not ideal, but I can live with this.