Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Cats marking their territory - help !

Search this Thread

Old 07 November 2005, 10:29 AM
RoShamBo
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cats marking their territory - help !

Very non scooby I know but.....

We have a 9year old cat & a 2 year old cat (who get on fine) but we have just introduced a new 1 year old cat into the home & the new cat has started “marking” & the older established cat has started poo-ing in places around the house.
Now my thoughts are new cat marking his territory, unsure, trying to stamp his mark on the house etc & the older cat feeling threatened & doing the same “this is my house young upstart” etc.
The other 2 year old cat does nothing like this.

Anyone have any experiences of how to stop then marking / scenting etc around the house. We have tried Felaway before (on our 9 year old cat the died recently) & had little/no effect at all.

They all use the same litter tray, perhaps that’s the issue – the older cat does not want to go to the toilet as the new cat as it has his scent all over the tray?

I have spoken it over with a couple of vets, they all swear by Felaway (plug ins or spray) They also say spray a diluted mix of citrus & water onto the places they spray as they don’t like it. They also said try putting their food where they spray as cats don’t like to eat where they can smell their own wee.

Etc etc – anyone have any advice to help us stop them marking?

Thanks

Rump.
Old 07 November 2005, 10:39 AM
Brendan Hughes
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

This is easy. Open the back door each morning, and let the cats out all day. They will naturally find their own territory (pooing in neighbours' gardens, sitting on neighbours' cars etc) and your problem will be solved.

<opens popcorn....>
Old 07 November 2005, 10:44 AM
RoShamBo
Scooby Regular

What about at night when they are in for 8 hours at a time?
Old 07 November 2005, 10:57 AM
InvisibleMan
Scooby Regular

A catflap? so they can come & go as they please. Theyre *supposed* to sleep all day then go out at night, have their food at whenever time then go out & scratch yer neighbours car & ****'n'dig up their flowerbeds if theyre house cats then its definately trickier.
Old 07 November 2005, 11:20 AM
Big Den
Scooby Regular

I'm presuming the new young cat is a male (TOM) so he's at the virile, I'm a stud stage - get him along to the vets for the old ***** off operation = no more spraying as he will now be a JAFFA (not to be confused with T'ILKE from Stargate either who is a Jafar).

HTH

Den
Old 07 November 2005, 11:36 AM
RoShamBo
Scooby Regular

He has been "done" but apparantly 20% still spray after the op so guess he is one of those.

Doing some homework, people suggest a sprinkle of ginger or lemon spray to stop them going in a particular spot (they hate both apparantly) or adding another litter tray.

What I do know is they are a pain in the *** but me doing research on this is getting me huge bonus points from the wife who loves cats......I nearly have enough credit to get that pool table I want !!
Old 07 November 2005, 12:05 PM
wrxtankie
Scooby Regular

Location: A.K.A RAIDEN, Watford & Tidworth. V7 STI Type RA Spec C, V2 STI,97JDM WRX, Daytona 675R

You want a different tray for each mog mog and then put their food dishes where they have ****,

Cats being super clean animals dont like ****ting on their dinner table.

Once settled you can reduce the number of food dishes
Old 07 November 2005, 12:29 PM
Brendan Hughes
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Question

Originally Posted by RoShamBo
What I do know is they are a pain in the *** but me doing research on this is getting me huge bonus points from the wife who loves cats......I nearly have enough credit to get that pool table I want !!
Why do you want to buy them a pool table? I'd have thought that a litter tray and a scratching post are cheaper than baize.
Old 07 November 2005, 04:39 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Brendan Hughes
Why do you want to buy them a pool table? I'd have thought that a litter tray and a scratching post are cheaper than baize.
Yeah, but imagine the income if the cats got good at pool.........no-one would believe it, and everyone would bet against the cat, you'd clean up.

Clean up? Back to original question?

My sis had one that sprayed. She followed it around with a Jif lemon filled with water, and let it have a blast to it's face every time it let fly. It soon learned.

Alcazar
Old 07 November 2005, 05:52 PM
scoob_babe
Scooby Regular

Location: Nobody knows how to tie the simple knots that I know

I'll second Alcazar's suggestion with a jif or plant mister with water. All we have to do to stop ours misbehaving is shake the mister at her and she stops immediately. The only thing is, you have to catch him in the act otherwise he won't understand what he's done. You should also keep new cat away from the existing ones and let them get to know eachother a bit at a time. We had Amber in one bedroom with a new tray and food bowls to let her get used to new house before we let her near the other cat.
Old 07 November 2005, 06:38 PM
MZP
Scooby Regular

OK, cats are virtually untrainable. You have to make it awkward.

Male cats hate citrus smeels, like lemon/orange zest. They also dont like standing on tine foil, so if he does it in in a certain place cover this in tin foil for a bit.

The only real solution (like a few people have indicated) is to break the 'its ok to poo in my house' rule, by allowing them free access via catflap.

Also, negative reinforcement such as squirting with water, making a loud bang (such as dropping a book in their vacinty) sometimes works. In the end though, it may do it just to spite you!

Grin and bear it I would say it is just as likely to be a reaction to a stressor, and he may grow out of it.
Old 07 November 2005, 06:41 PM
MZP
Scooby Regular

We had a bengal who we tried the water spray on (to stop her eating everthing in site). Had completely the reverse effect, we discovered that she loved water. Was a positive reinforcer!

You experienced confusion until you've seen a cat rubbing round your legs whilst you're in the shower.....