Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Green nuts = control freaks

Search this Thread

Old 05 November 2005, 05:49 PM
hedgehog
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Green nuts = control freaks

You might find this interesting: So called "transport guru" David Begg addressed the Scottish green party conference on the subject of controlling motorists. One of the things he seems to want something done about is motorists who change lanes!! However, I think it is useful in giving a clear picture about where the greens stand: they want control of every tiny aspect of your life and they want it now and they already have many of "their" people involved in making government policy decisions on transport. If you click on the link you will find the comments by the AA at the end surprising in view of the fact that they are supposed to represent motorists.

http://news.scotsman.com/scotland.cfm?id=2194012005

Transport guru wants speed gadget for motors

IAN SWANSON
SCOTTISH POLITICAL EDITOR

TRANSPORT guru David Begg is calling for speed restriction devices to be put in all cars as part of a zero-tolerance policy.

The former Government adviser and Edinburgh transport convener believes breaking the speed limit should be as unacceptable as drink-driving and says that tougher laws will help cut pollution, reduce road deaths and combat congestion. He will tell the Scottish Green Party conference tomorrow that satellite technology could help make speeding a thing of the past.

Mr Begg, a guest speaker at the conference, said: "The policy I would like to see Government and the Scottish Executive adopting is rigid enforcement of speed limits on the road network.

"The best way is in-car speed-limiters, linked to satellites.

"It's new technology which is already available and within ten years it will be fitted in most cars."

He said one version of the system meant a motorist who exceeded the speed limit would trigger an audible signal inside the car, warning him to slow down.

But a more advanced version would simply not allow drivers to go over the speed limit except in emergencies, when the system could be overridden.

"I will be saying that if we were to ensure motorists stuck to the speed limit it would cut carbon emissions from cars by ten per cent.

"Driving fast is much more fuel inefficient - if you go at 90 mph in a 70 mph limit, you burn up more fuel and emit more carbon.

"And if cars stuck to the speed limit it would also cut road fatalities by 40 per cent."

He said ending speeding would also help cut congestion on routes like the Edinburgh city by-pass because a consistent speed resulted in a smoother traffic flow than motorists accelerating, braking and changing lanes.
Old 05 November 2005, 06:37 PM
drumsterphil
Scooby Regular

There's no sweeping generalisations in there, is there?!

Neil Greig, director of policy with the AA, said Mr Begg's ideas were interesting and could be welcomed by motorists if sold in the right way.
Good to see the AA now following the RAC is not looking after motorists rights!

He said ending speeding would also help cut congestion on routes like the Edinburgh city by-pass because a consistent speed resulted in a smoother traffic flow than motorists accelerating, braking and changing lanes.
Why don't they INCREASE the speed limit so there's less people on the road at any one time?..........

Just how do you become a 'transport guru'?
Old 06 November 2005, 07:06 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Wonder why they are so quick to attack the motorist buit don't have the guts to really hammer the Government over the pollution caused by aircraft travel and the vast increase in that encouraged by enlarging airports.

Frightened of big business I suppose, like the Government!

Les
Old 06 November 2005, 05:35 PM
hedgehog
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by drumsterphil

Just how do you become a 'transport guru'?
I the case of Begg he has a degree in economics and is very proud of the fact that he can't drive, I suppose that puts his green credentials through the roof and into the mega-lentil bracket. He probably has a cupboard full of golden lentil and silver sandal awards for screwing things over for others.

He was then closely involved in creating the congestion in Edinburgh which resulted in the vote on the introduction of congestion charging. He created bus lanes, narrowed roads, introduced pinch points changed the phasing of traffic lights etc. etc. to generate the "need" for a congestion charge to drive motorists from their "socially divisive" private transport. In the end, of course, the good people of Edinburgh saw through his scam and they voted against his charge and told him to bog off.

Since this time the greens have hailed him as a "transport guru" and everyone else has hailed him as "That idiot who can get nothing right."
Old 06 November 2005, 06:05 PM
unclebuck
Scooby Regular

the good people of Edinburgh saw through his scam and they voted against his charge and told him to bog off.
What a shame the 'good' people of England don't seem able to do this and seem happy to take it up the ar*e at every opportunity.
Old 06 November 2005, 06:11 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is EXCELLENT news for those of you who get caught speeding!!

Imagine it .........

No more speeding tickets!!

No more mickey mouse speed trap detectors - saving you £300+!!

I can't see anyone on here opposing the control of their speed ............ as it does what they cannot do, avoid speeding tickets!!

99% approval rating from ScoobyNet, I guess??

GREAT NEWS!!!

Pete
Old 06 November 2005, 06:15 PM
_RIP_
BANNED

Originally Posted by pslewis
This is EXCELLENT news for those of you who get caught speeding!!

Imagine it .........

No more speeding tickets!!

No more mickey mouse speed trap detectors - saving you £300+!!

I can't see anyone on here opposing the control of their speed ............ as it does what they cannot do, avoid speeding tickets!!

99% approval rating from ScoobyNet, I guess??

GREAT NEWS!!!

Pete
Isnt it time you pi$$ed off to your grave sad old man?
Old 06 November 2005, 06:21 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

How thoughtful of you Pete ...

Pity its all come too late for you...!
Old 06 November 2005, 08:40 PM
astraboy
Scooby Regular

But a more advanced version would simply not allow drivers to go over the speed limit except in emergencies, when the system could be overridden.
*tapes down override button*

astraboy.
Old 06 November 2005, 11:19 PM
hedgehog
Scooby Regular

The concern about that is that, of course, everytime you interfer with the override function the system will "phone home" to report your crime. I've no idea how such actions will be dealt with but one thing I would be sure of is that it will involve some transfer of funds from your account to theirs.

You must remember that this system will also know where you are all the time and this information will be logged for reasons that I can't even imagine, maybe in case there were reports of motorists changing lanes in the area at the time. We can't expect some lentil muncher to understand why a motorist might want to change lanes when he has never driven himself.