Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

sliding tackles playing 5-a-side footy. will people get the hump?

Search this Thread

Old 04 November 2005, 11:55 PM
hoskib
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default sliding tackles playing 5-a-side footy. will people get the hump?

can't think why it's a problem but a few of us have been playing for about a month now and i picked up a few niggly comments tonight

am i breaking some unwritten code of conduct or is it the fact i'm stopping people making passes or scoring?

personally i'm thinking sour grapes and TBH i just do it instinctively from my younger days of playing.haven't come close to injuring anyone, so why the little bits of moaning
Old 05 November 2005, 12:04 AM
fatherpierre
Scooby Regular

It's meant to be free flowing and intricate.

I play twice a week and there's no sliding/heavy tackles at all. It's too small an area for that.
Old 05 November 2005, 12:16 AM
hoskib
Scooby Regular

fair comment but most weeks we get 10 people turn up so only 4 outfield players and the pitches are pretty big and i'm not taking the **** by bashing peoples ankles out or anything stupid like that

may have to curb the lunging though by the sounds of it

don't know about intricate, a dozen out of shape henry wannabes don't make for free flowing football

cheers for the advice though
Old 05 November 2005, 12:17 AM
matt85
Scooby Regular

Slide tackling isnt usually allowed in 5 a side.
Old 05 November 2005, 12:23 AM
hoskib
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by matt85
Slide tackling isnt usually allowed in 5 a side.
bollocks, it's all i'm good at
Old 05 November 2005, 12:28 AM
fast bloke
Scooby Regular

had to punch a guy in the gob once to explain that slide tackling on astroturf wasn't the greatest idea he ever had. Never played 5AS outdoors and if you can slide tackle indoors in shorts then you are far too hard to argue with
Old 05 November 2005, 12:33 AM
hoskib
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by fast bloke
had to punch a guy in the gob once to explain that slide tackling on astroturf wasn't the greatest idea he ever had. Never played 5AS outdoors and if you can slide tackle indoors in shorts then you are far too hard to argue with
oh no, it's outdoors on some funky plastic grass with loads of rubber granules on it for 'grip'

it would appear i'm in the wrong then

still, until i get a slap might aswell keep it up, should ruffle a few feathers

Trending Topics

Old 05 November 2005, 12:38 AM
CrisPDuk
Scooby Regular

Sliding tackles on astroturf You must either be as hard as nails, in which case I'm not gonna argue or into a bit of kinky friction burn style action, in which case I'll just givee you a wide berth
Old 05 November 2005, 12:39 AM
fatherpierre
Scooby Regular

You'll end up with a broken leg if you keep it up

One bloke used to play with us, and he was a bit keen (thought he was a bit good) and used go in hard. He stopped turning up after getting an hour of ankle rattlers by blokes who'd had enough of him playing like a ****.
Old 05 November 2005, 12:45 AM
hoskib
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by fatherpierre
You'll end up with a broken leg if you keep it up

One bloke used to play with us, and he was a bit keen (thought he was a bit good) and used go in hard. He stopped turning up after getting an hour of ankle rattlers by blokes who'd had enough of him playing like a ****.
seem to get comments along the lines of surprised you haven't pulled you groin/hamsring etc

was going to buy some astroturf boots but thought it might stop my 'slideabilty'

seriously though, not trying to play like a nobber, hence the initial question. don't want to **** anyone off as it's really good fun and don't want to **** it up by putting people off 'coz some nutter will slide in from all over the park.
Old 05 November 2005, 12:47 AM
hoskib
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by CrisPDuk
or into a bit of kinky friction burn style action, in which case I'll just givee you a wide berth
Old 05 November 2005, 12:56 AM
davegtt
Scooby Senior

You want to do slide tackles etc get out of bed on a sunday morning and play some real football. 5 a side is for the passing game etc.... its all good fun at the end of the day but if your style is hard and rough then 5 a side isnt for you
Old 05 November 2005, 01:27 AM
Little Miss WRX

If I were you, check the rules of the competition......generally no slide tackles are allowed in indoor 5-a-side.

I referee an outdoor 6-a-side comp which is played on half a normal playing field. Slide tackles are allowed, but not in the over 35's tournament.
Old 05 November 2005, 01:31 AM
fast bloke
Scooby Regular

So sayeth an expert,

Hi hun - have you heard from BB recently? Think something bad might have happened (like he found out where I have a tab)
Old 05 November 2005, 08:46 AM
Swen6
Scooby Regular

When i used to play on a tuesday [had to stop also cause of lack of comment from people], it was a general rule if you couldn't get there then don't bother trying, it's not worth risking injuring yourself or the person your 'going in' on.

Also if you were to play in say one of the Power Leagues, the minute you go to groung it would be a free kick to the other team.
Old 05 November 2005, 08:52 AM
DeltaBravo 9
Scooby Regular

slide tackling in a gym playing 5 a side is a definite no no !! to be honest with you it's a really stupid thing to do , to risk a serious injury just to get the ball in 5 a side is crazy , as it's only supposed to be a bit of fun ! i wouldn't say it's carved in stone but it's an unwritten rule
Old 05 November 2005, 10:23 AM
hoskib
Scooby Regular

thanks for the comments guys (and girl), we play on outdoor pitches which is a bit like astroturf but the 'blades' of grass are very fine and about 1" long so doesn't burn too much (unlike proper astroturf).

i don't go lunging in from behind or steaming in studs raised, more a blocking slide and i'd like to think the only damage i'm gonna do is to myself.

not really a hard tackler as such, just with sliding i seem to be able to get my feet in the right places to block a pass or shot (don't want to make myself out to be some sort of animal here!)

best bet seems to be to make an assertive effort to stop doing it though
Old 05 November 2005, 12:00 PM
Account deleted by request
Scooby Regular

I play twice a week, as said before 5 a side is a passing game.

Also, everybody has to earn a living and its a dam site harder to do with a broken ankle or leg.

chop
Old 05 November 2005, 01:04 PM
Nicks VR4
Scooby Regular

Ex Ref and player here

Slide tackles are not allowed in 5-a-side or 7-a-side Instant red card if properly refereed

Played a game once on AstroTurf and got slide tackled busted ankle and serious burns to arms and legs
The guy was banned from the league
Old 05 November 2005, 06:59 PM
Robertio
Scooby Regular

Must be a southern thing - I used to slide tackle on any surface when I played up north, and while not everyone did it there was never any problem. Only played a couple of times down here and people took offense to it, couldn't understand why as I never make contact with the other player - just hook foot around ball, or if indoor toe poke it against the wall back behind the player, then get up and collect my wall pass.

Only time I've caused myself any real pain during 5-a-side was when I decided it would be a good idea to try an overhead kick - wooden floors are fairly painful to land back first upon

Based on some of the comments on this thread 5-a-side should really be 5 on one side and none on the other as they might get in the way and spoil the fun. Surely the point in keeping score is so that one side or other wins, thereby being competitive. Obviously when you are playing with mates you do take extra care not to injure one another, as it is just a bit of fun, but surely you are trying to win?
No wonder teams made exclusively of people from the UK never win anything, it seems the whole - it's the taking part that counts - thing is a lot more widespread than I thought.
Old 05 November 2005, 09:38 PM
Swen6
Scooby Regular

[QUOTE=Robertio]
No wonder teams made exclusively of people from the UK never win anything.[QUOTE]

Same could be said about all teams, you look at any [for this instance football] team, no successfullteam is made soley with homegrown players.
Old 07 November 2005, 11:59 AM
scoobylav
Scooby Regular

I echo Robertio's comments I used to play Indoor 5's every week in a gym in Scotland. Slide tackling was part and parcel of the game and was accepted. Obviously malicious two footed tackles were frowned upon but normal sorted by a few punches.

In the years I played I never saw a serious injury to legs or ankles.

IMHO if you aint sliding you aint trying
Old 07 November 2005, 02:37 PM
Jay m A
Scooby Regular

Location: Class record holder at Pembrey Llandow Goodwood MIRA Hethel Blyton Curborough Lydden and Snetterton

FFS its simple . Football is a contact sport, if you're going to slide tackle then you can bring the player down as long as you get the ball first. In no way should you bring someone down on a hard court / astro. If tackled on grass there is enough give in the ground to stop injury sustained from the fall (generally- things can happen of course). But on hard court or astro, injuruies / burn can /will happen from the fall.

You cannot say "my slide tackles won't touch the player" because that's bollocks - whats the point then. If you're not close enough to get the ball and need to dive in to block then you are at the last chance - and you are assuming the bloke is about to pass/ shoot/ what ever a certain way. If he decides to take a touch/hold it up/change direction etc then you've already committed yourself, dived in and can/will draw a foul. Fine on grass, everyone knows the score. But on hardcourt if you bring a player down thats not on period.

People play 5AS to practice touch, keep fit etc. It is not the beautiful game. If you slide in then any decent player will drag the ball back and you left on the floor, hopeless.

In fact anyone who feels he needs to slide in during a 5AS game is hopeless and wouldn't get in our team.

Next you'll be saying "why can't I head the ball, its not against the rules in 11AS"
Old 07 November 2005, 03:33 PM
davegtt
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by Jay m A

People play 5AS to practice touch, keep fit etc. It is not the beautiful game. If you slide in then any decent player will drag the ball back and you left on the floor, hopeless.

In fact anyone who feels he needs to slide in during a 5AS game is hopeless and wouldn't get in our team.

Next you'll be saying "why can't I head the ball, its not against the rules in 11AS"
Agreed, its all about skill, movement and fitness, not about who can tackle the hardest and make sure the opponent thinks twice about trying to nutmeg you like you would in 11as....
Old 07 November 2005, 05:51 PM
STi wanna Subaru
Scooby Regular

You don't slide tackle at 5-a-side. Anybody who does is simply not good enough to play the game.
Old 07 November 2005, 08:00 PM
Robertio
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by STi wanna Subaru
You don't slide tackle at 5-a-side. Anybody who does is simply not good enough to play the game.
LOL, strange how I was offered trials at premier league teams when I was at college - that I turned down having done my ligaments in. In the last semi-competitive match I played I scored a half volley from 10 yards inside our opponents half, got my second straight from a corner and missed my hatrick because my corner near the end of the match came back off the post (FWIW the keeper was just back from having trials at Dunfermline) as we lost 4-3
Despite playing hundreds (used to play with 3 teams in 3 different leagues) of competitive matches I was never booked and can only remember giving away 4 free kicks, one of which was putting my head down and getting kicked in the head as a bonus By comparison I was fouled 26 times in one half (was around this time I brought a close to playing competitive football at the ripe old age of 20), by which point I could hardly walk never mind play football.

Slide tackling for indoor football - show opponent the outside, he kicks ball passed you, if you are very quick you can turn and slide, either hooking the ball between foot and shin or play the ball off the wall without going near your opponent. In both cases you take the ball, have it in your possession and pose no risk to your opponent. It's not the sprint lunge slide tackle often seen in 11-a-sides, but is never the less a slide tackle.
Old 07 November 2005, 08:38 PM
STi wanna Subaru
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Robertio
LOL, strange how I was offered trials at premier league teams when I was at college - that I turned down having done my ligaments in. In the last semi-competitive match I played I scored a half volley from 10 yards inside our opponents half, got my second straight from a corner and missed my hatrick because my corner near the end of the match came back off the post (FWIW the keeper was just back from having trials at Dunfermline) as we lost 4-3
Despite playing hundreds (used to play with 3 teams in 3 different leagues) of competitive matches I was never booked and can only remember giving away 4 free kicks, one of which was putting my head down and getting kicked in the head as a bonus By comparison I was fouled 26 times in one half (was around this time I brought a close to playing competitive football at the ripe old age of 20), by which point I could hardly walk never mind play football.

Slide tackling for indoor football - show opponent the outside, he kicks ball passed you, if you are very quick you can turn and slide, either hooking the ball between foot and shin or play the ball off the wall without going near your opponent. In both cases you take the ball, have it in your possession and pose no risk to your opponent. It's not the sprint lunge slide tackle often seen in 11-a-sides, but is never the less a slide tackle.

Not talking about 11's. At 5's if you slide tackle you are going to ground which as you will know is the last resort to tackle a player as once on the ground you are fully committed and if you don't take the ball you have taken yourself out of the game. As also previously mentioned a slide tackle at 5-a-side even if you take the ball means a high percentage chance you will bring the other player down and on the 5 a side surfaces this is not good due to the posibility of injury. You should be able to show retraint enough not to have to slide tackle.
Old 07 November 2005, 08:50 PM
ozzy
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Depends who you are playing with, but I've never seen many slide tackles in 5's. Personally, I don't feel you need to do it as it's designed to practice ball control, but I do enjoy a bit of a physical game. I've seen a few punch-ups with over enthusiastic 5's though

Robertio, you may get a bit more respect if you'd actuall played first team for Real Madrid I've played with a few ex-professionals and they were just as **** as me
Old 07 November 2005, 10:19 PM
Swen6
Scooby Regular

LOL, strange how I was offered trials at premier league teams when I was at college
No disrespect you may well have been a good player but lots of people get offered trials by teams, it's only something to brag about if you make it.
Some bloke who played football with my brother had trials with Spurs and QPR, and he should of been playing with the kids who need a bell in the ball to help them find it, he was that ****e, he got subbed in my brothers team and never saw him again. Also a childhood friend had trials with arsenal, he got sent off in one of the practice matchs and was sent home and he was a feckin good player, just shows they can give a chance to someone and take it away just as quick.
Old 08 November 2005, 07:29 AM
turbonuttabastard
Scooby Newbie

Must be a southern thing - I used to slide tackle on any surface when I played up north, and while not everyone did it there was never any problem. Only played a couple of times down here and people took offense to it, couldn't understand why as I never make contact with the other player - just hook foot around ball, or if indoor toe poke it against the wall back behind the player, then get up and collect my wall pass.

Only time I've caused myself any real pain during 5-a-side was when I decided it would be a good idea to try an overhead kick - wooden floors are fairly painful to land back first upon

Based on some of the comments on this thread 5-a-side should really be 5 on one side and none on the other as they might get in the way and spoil the fun. Surely the point in keeping score is so that one side or other wins, thereby being competitive. Obviously when you are playing with mates you do take extra care not to injure one another, as it is just a bit of fun, but surely you are trying to win?
No wonder teams made exclusively of people from the UK never win anything, it seems the whole - it's the taking part that counts - thing is a lot more widespread than I thought.
Definitely not a southern thing mate.
Where I used to play , virtually no rules it was a war zone .
The object was 1)to avoid getting tackled near the hose reel
2)get your opponent hung up on the hose reel
Epsom Baths circa 1967
All poofs today , frightened of a bit of body contact you lot.
It was about hurting your opponent and minimising injury to yourself by getting in first -brilliant.
5 aside is or was a very violent code of football - not for the faint hearted
I agree the Jocks can put it about , not many I played with did'nt have plenty of bottle , some verging on the pschopathic - love it!

Quick Reply: sliding tackles playing 5-a-side footy. will people get the hump?