Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Best way to get sponsorship for racing??

Search this Thread

Old 04 November 2005, 03:56 PM
Kev_turbo
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool Best way to get sponsorship for racing??

Hi,

I am in need of some advise from people who have no doubt been in a similar position to this themselves.

My wife has just found out she has won a place in the Formula Woman 2006 championship and is now in need of raising some sponsorship.

For those that don't know, this is a single make race series (Caterhams this time) for women who have never held a race license. Hazel applied 12 months ago and has worked her way through the elimination, training and race days to where she is now. ( www.formulawoman.co.uk )

Hazel has so far approached the local media to ask about coverage of her progress etc with some success. She has also written a presentation detailing basically who she is, her background, what the series is, what the benefits would be to sponsors and costs that need covering and is looking to start approaching local companies in the next week or so to ask for funding.

Does anyone have any hints, tips etc they could pass on or even better a spare few £k they are willing to part with (more details available by PM'ing me). This is totally new to both me and my wife so any info would help

Thanks

Kev
Old 04 November 2005, 05:49 PM
Robbie T
Scooby Regular

Make friends with rich people who own businesses

HTH
Old 04 November 2005, 07:35 PM
davyboy
Scooby Regular

She'd need to be really fast or really fit.
Old 06 November 2005, 11:30 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

It is really difficult believe me. Usually you have to "know someone" to get any success or use one of the management organisations.

I raced for a good many years and was only ever able to get minimal help. Success on the track did not seem to help very much. Money always seemed to follow money in my experience.

Good luck anyway.

Les
Old 06 November 2005, 02:42 PM
GaryCat
Scooby Regular

It is very difficult. I used to work with Lorraine Pinner who came a close 2nd in the original FW championship and despite being a proven winner, having a professional attitude, great looks, good website, lots of business contacts etc etc she was unable to secure sponsorship for any further racing series.

Basically you need to know people in the racing business, or be rich, or sell your house like Mansell had to.
Old 06 November 2005, 04:26 PM
Kev_turbo
Scooby Regular

Thanks for all the replies, might have got somewhere with a family friend this weekend, we wait and see

Kev

Trending Topics

Old 06 November 2005, 07:51 PM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

Not much help, but well done Hazel
Old 06 November 2005, 08:32 PM
PG
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Kev_turbo
Hi,
For those that don't know,
Kev
I would assume that would be most and tbh therein lies the problem.
There will be very little in the way of TV coverage, the crowds wont be massive so they wont get much for their money. I dont think it will be easy.
I know Gavin Pyper who was doing quite well for himself. He was fortunate that his old mans wealth was equal to his skill which no doubt helped him get to where he did.
As for what he is doing now....I dont know.
Well done to her though.
Old 06 November 2005, 09:18 PM
rr_ww
Scooby Regular

Try FEMALE brands. Maybe Bra manufacturers, Tampon makers. Lipstick perhaps. ( Cooking utensils )

Seriously BTW, if you try and get JCB Trucks on board they wont be interested as probably 90% od the viewers will be female and not be a target audience for sponsors. Whereas Anne Summer, will be interested.

However, I despise the FW championship as its a gimick and not a serious help for a budding female racing driver. But thats another matter....
Old 06 November 2005, 10:09 PM
Kev_turbo
Scooby Regular

PG,

TV coverage last year was 1 hour for each meet shown on ITV straight after the F1 races, can't get much better than that.

rr_ww,

That was my thought too (womens stuff, white goods, etc) and something she will be looking into. Why do you despise it, a number of the women from last years championsip have now got jobs in motorsport. It wasn't designed for the existing female race drivers - you could not apply if you hold a race license however it has brought others into the sport, my other half for one.

Kev
Old 06 November 2005, 10:17 PM
rr_ww
Scooby Regular

Ok, since you ask.

If you want to race in BTCC (for example) what do you think a potential team boss wants to see in a driver. I would say he wants to see the best person available at the time. A person that has competed against other top class drivers and beaten them all.

Not someone that enters a championship thats ONLY for a certain group of people. Its tantamount to saying "Well, you arent good enough to beat the guys, so we'll invent a series just for you ladies" I would dearly love to see more women on a grid. Competing against others on a like for like equal footing. Id love to see Plato beaten fair and square by Mrs Smith in another car.

But FW doesnt do that. Hence my remark about it being a gimick. The best woman in that series may well be a fantastic driver. The next Damon Hill even. But shes not exactly competing against all and sudry to proove it. Racing is a meritocracy. You have to be better than EVERYONE. Regardless of their age or sex or hair colour. EVERYONE.

HTH
Old 07 November 2005, 06:40 AM
Kev_turbo
Scooby Regular

rr_ww,

I don't agree with your post at all.

Yes FW is a bit sexist, Fman would not be allowed I am sure but FW is a business and seems to be a successful one.

FW has been set up to introduce women to motorsport, if they win the series - well done. It could be seen as being the same as winning the 3rd division football cup. You have beaten your peers, you are top of your set, but there are still loads above you who are better. However with a win under your belt you progress up a league (or race series, one woman has now entered the clio cup) where the opposition is better. If you win that then well done, up you go again eventually reaching the top (but more likely staying with the masses in the mid tables).

I am sure this is how Plato managed to get his drive in BTCC and if the women are good enough they would be in the same place.

You only have to be better than those you are racing against at the time. Not everyone. It is up to the individual then what they do with that win, sit in comfort and race against those you know you can beat or move up a level. Hence the different race series within the same dicipline (rallying - Super 1600, Gp N, Gp A, WRC etc, etc)

Kev

P.S. The end of the arguments, it might be gimicky but it works and gets media coverage. My other half is in it as it stands and on the look out for sponsorship not a slagging off for entering FW instead of the BTCC!!

Last edited by Kev_turbo; 07 November 2005 at 06:43 AM.
Old 07 November 2005, 03:41 PM
rr_ww
Scooby Regular

Hmmm. You say its in Caterhams this year? (as opposed to RX8s) Then why not just enter the Caterham challenge, or whatever its called. Then she can claim to be the best Caterham driver in the country should she win the championship. Then potential sensible bosses will say. "Shes the best Caterham driver out there, thats why we hired her for next year."

Imagine if FW was replaced with Formula Left Handed. So only people who write with their left hand could enter. And the winner could say. Im the best left handed Caterham driver. Still think anyone will consider that as being the same as "The best Caterham driver in the country"
Old 07 November 2005, 03:46 PM
Brendan Hughes
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Kev_turbo
I am in need of some advise from people who have no doubt been in a similar position to this themselves.
ISTR that'll be Squizz then.
Old 07 November 2005, 04:29 PM
Squizz
Scooby Regular

Did I hear my name?

Hi Kev and hearty congratulations to Hazel!

My wife Karen is currently a reservist in case anyone drops out of the 100 now finalists. Karen's caterham driving part of the assessment was wet, and although she overtook all the other candidates in her group she managed to spin on the final corner of her last lap.

She was gutted, but I managed to convince her it might be ok and to complete the other tests. So all in all not a bad result.

I think Hazel can be proud of her achievement. I know from watching closely on all the days at Dunsfold that the level is stratospheric compared to last time. This time, some real racing types have entered to show how it's done!

However...

We were already getting cheesed off with the organisation and some other charges being put to the girls. I assume Hazel wants to race at Pembrey? Originally they wanted £750 + vat, now they want £300+vat and more on top ofr vehicle insurance. That's just the tip of the iceberg for next year, I bet...

We'd already organised racing in the MR2 challenge for 2006, which looks really fun with good people and a prepared car is only about £2.5K!!! We're going to use our small scale sponsors for our own racing instead.

But...

Karen got made redundant on Thursday so now everythings up in the air.

Anyway - Best of luck to Hazel, we'll be supporting her. Keep us informed of what's happening.

Squizz
Old 07 November 2005, 05:10 PM
Kev_turbo
Scooby Regular

Cheers Squizz, YHPM

rr_ww, she doesn't want to be the best driver in the world. She wants to have fun!!!

P.S. Is there a left handed caterham challenge, i am eligable