Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

i am going to have one of these in my xmas stocking...

Search this Thread

Old 03 November 2005, 11:22 AM
sarasquares
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up i am going to have one of these in my xmas stocking...

has anyone got an opinion on these?
Old 03 November 2005, 11:26 AM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Prefer to see an xmas stocking on a woman's leg than the end of a bed
Old 03 November 2005, 11:27 AM
Sbradley
Scooby Regular

Now I was thinking that but wasn't going to say it.

Actually, from what I recall of a thread elsewhere, Ms Squares would be the ideal leg to model...
Old 03 November 2005, 11:28 AM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

Why bother?

If you're going to drive, don't drink at all, simple as. A unit is not an acurate reflection of how much alchohol you have in your blood, your body mass, eating while drinking will all have an effect.

Also what do you do when you have had your 2 halves or whatever, thinking you should be OK and then find you're not? Do you risk it? Leave the car miles away and get a taxi?
Old 03 November 2005, 11:30 AM
Daz34
Scooby Regular

Sara, if walking outside & looking at your dayglo yellow Impreza doesn't sober you up I don't know what will
Old 03 November 2005, 11:31 AM
sarasquares
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by OllyK
Why bother?

If you're going to drive, don't drink at all, simple as. A unit is not an acurate reflection of how much alchohol you have in your blood, your body mass, eating while drinking will all have an effect.

Also what do you do when you have had your 2 halves or whatever, thinking you should be OK and then find you're not? Do you risk it? Leave the car miles away and get a taxi?
its more for the next day when we all think we must be sober. its an easy mistake to make, i havnt got a clue if i woud fail a test the next day, for £60 its a small price to pay imo
Old 03 November 2005, 11:32 AM
BlkKnight
Scooby Regular

Tanita make a cheaper (simpler) breathalizer (circ £15.99).

Gives results like OK or NOT Ok to drive.

Perfect for the morning after.

Trending Topics

Old 03 November 2005, 11:49 AM
Sbradley
Scooby Regular

Seriously, while I agree in principle with what OllyK said, it's good to have the reassurance in the morning. And it can be very deceptive just how long you stay over the limit for. We used to have an 8 hour bottle to throttle rule when I was flying. We had a combined mess dinner one evening and two of the guys were on an early hop. They were very sensible indeed, and though the drink was flowing freely they stopped a good 10 hours before their ramp time.

The post mortems showed that they were both still way over the drink-drive limit at the time of impact.

Personally I don't drink and drive full stop. I don't believe there is a *safe* limit. But I also recognise that there is a legal one and that you want to be sure you're below it...

SB
Old 03 November 2005, 11:51 AM
STi wanna Subaru
Scooby Regular

Why where my posts and choppers deleted?
Old 03 November 2005, 11:54 AM
sarasquares
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Sbradley
Seriously, while I agree in principle with what OllyK said, it's good to have the reassurance in the morning. And it can be very deceptive just how long you stay over the limit for. We used to have an 8 hour bottle to throttle rule when I was flying. We had a combined mess dinner one evening and two of the guys were on an early hop. They were very sensible indeed, and though the drink was flowing freely they stopped a good 10 hours before their ramp time.

The post mortems showed that they were both still way over the drink-drive limit at the time of impact.

Personally I don't drink and drive full stop. I don't believe there is a *safe* limit. But I also recognise that there is a legal one and that you want to be sure you're below it...

SB
what he said^

my point exactly. i think we would all be shocked if we were breathalised the day after. even though you are sober the next day a test could prove otherwise

look at all the die-hards that say parking sensors are for people that cant drive and Road Angel users shouldnt speed....

nothing wrong with being extra safe, it doesnt mean you are being irresponsable just because you want to be sure
Old 03 November 2005, 11:55 AM
sarasquares
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by STi wanna Subaru
Why where my posts and choppers deleted?
what did the posts say
Old 03 November 2005, 11:56 AM
sarasquares
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by BlkKnight
Tanita make a cheaper (simpler) breathalizer (circ £15.99).

Gives results like OK or NOT Ok to drive.

Perfect for the morning after.
this one is calibrated so its re-usable, how many times can the one you mentioned last for?
Old 03 November 2005, 11:59 AM
Jamo
Cooking on Calor

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

id prefer to see your leg in a stocking sara
Old 03 November 2005, 12:01 PM
STi wanna Subaru
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by sarasquares
what did the posts say
it was the ones about the vibrating 'toy'
Old 03 November 2005, 12:06 PM
sarasquares
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by STi wanna Subaru
it was the ones about the vibrating 'toy'
lol, that one
the mods are working hard today
Old 03 November 2005, 12:17 PM
boxst
Scooby Regular

Old 03 November 2005, 12:20 PM
Jamo
Cooking on Calor

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

thats what I want for christmas steve
Old 03 November 2005, 12:21 PM
Karl 227
BANNED

Do you think it would suit you?
Old 03 November 2005, 12:23 PM
sarasquares
Scooby Regular

i cant see annything
Old 03 November 2005, 12:24 PM
talizman
Scooby Regular

Whilst it is commendable to test yourself the morning after, unfortunately, their accuracy cannot be relied upon, and hypothetically, if you were stopped and found to be over the limit, the fact that you self tested negative won't stand as a defence as it is not a recognised, calibrated testing method.

My fear would always be that the device has given a false negative and that I may actually be over.....

Like others have said, the only reliable method is simply not to drive the next morning if you have had a bucket the night before.
Old 03 November 2005, 12:25 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

yo could just count up the no. of units youve had ........much cheaper/safer

remember body doesnt start to break alcohol down for an hour after imbibing.

...oh if you cant quite recall how many youve had/what constitues a unit- youll obviously need more time out untill you do.........
Old 03 November 2005, 12:26 PM
DeanF
Scooby Regular

Just don't drink at all whilst driving, But a good idea for the morning after

Dean
Old 03 November 2005, 12:39 PM
BlkKnight
Scooby Regular

The tanita one is reusable - it takes little aaa batteries.
Old 03 November 2005, 12:54 PM
sarasquares
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by talizman
Whilst it is commendable to test yourself the morning after, unfortunately, their accuracy cannot be relied upon, and hypothetically, if you were stopped and found to be over the limit, the fact that you self tested negative won't stand as a defence as it is not a recognised, calibrated testing method.

My fear would always be that the device has given a false negative and that I may actually be over.....

Like others have said, the only reliable method is simply not to drive the next morning if you have had a bucket the night before.
but you could be over the limit the next evening and not no it. i am sure that the devise cannot be relied upon that you use it at your own discretion
Old 03 November 2005, 12:59 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

Sara, first question I'd ask is where you can get it calibrated and for how much and how often it needs to be done.
Saying it can be calibrated is only any good if there is a reputable company who can calibrate that particular model of breathalyser.

Look at the self righteous NSR's spouting off saying "just don't drink". How pathetic and small minded. Can't they find something positive for once? Rather than constantly finding something wrong with everyones view/post

There are times such as mornings after where poeple honestly don't know if they under or over the limit. Yet feel sober and feel like they are ok to drive, when it isn't the case, a device that can give a second opinion, even if questionable is better than nothing. It also must be taken into account it is difficult to count the amount of drink you have comnsumed if your drunk, and the unit levels for each indivdual drink vary depending on its strength. How often is the average person in a pub going to peer at the tiny list at the the end of the bar stating the %APV of each drink and work out their "safe consumption"?. Also the failure appreciate that dehydration, body mass, health has an effect on the way each individuals body copes with alcohol.
(And don't bother to reply and/or quote the above text...I've typed my 2pence and don't require anymore of your pathetic small minded justifications as to why your right and never ever wrong )
Old 03 November 2005, 01:17 PM
sarasquares
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ALi-B
Sara, first question I'd ask is where you can get it calibrated and for how much and how often it needs to be done.
Saying it can be calibrated is only any good if there is a reputable company who can calibrate that particular model of breathalyser.

Look at the self righteous NSR's spouting off saying "just don't drink". How pathetic and small minded. Can't they find something positive for once? Rather than constantly finding something wrong with everyones view/post

There are times such as mornings after where poeple honestly don't know if they under or over the limit. Yet feel sober and feel like they are ok to drive, when it isn't the case, a device that can give a second opinion, even if questionable is better than nothing. It also must be taken into account it is difficult to count the amount of drink you have comnsumed if your drunk, and the unit levels for each indivdual drink vary depending on its strength. How often is the average person in a pub going to peer at the tiny list at the the end of the bar stating the %APV of each drink and work out their "safe consumption"?. Also the failure appreciate that dehydration, body mass, health has an effect on the way each individuals body copes with alcohol.
(And don't bother to reply and/or quote the above text...I've typed my 2pence and don't require anymore of your pathetic small minded justifications as to why your right and never ever wrong )
thats more like 1p worth, do you want some change?
Old 03 November 2005, 01:17 PM
talizman
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by sarasquares
but you could be over the limit the next evening and not no it. i am sure that the devise cannot be relied upon that you use it at your own discretion
Absolutely, and like I said, commendable to consider using something, when most folk don't bother.

My personal opinion is that I'd be scared of inaccuracies and a false sense of security = drivng ban.

Top Gear mag or Auto Express evaluated a bunch of these products a few years back and most were found to be inaccurate at best and downright useless at worst! One or two were fairly decent in the test, so may offer a reasonable gauge for you if you find the right one.

Anyway, if you are still over the limit the following night, its not a breathaliser you need, it an AA subscription!
Old 03 November 2005, 03:23 PM
sarasquares
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by talizman
Absolutely, and like I said, commendable to consider using something, when most folk don't bother.

My personal opinion is that I'd be scared of inaccuracies and a false sense of security = drivng ban.

Top Gear mag or Auto Express evaluated a bunch of these products a few years back and most were found to be inaccurate at best and downright useless at worst! One or two were fairly decent in the test, so may offer a reasonable gauge for you if you find the right one.

Anyway, if you are still over the limit the following night, its not a breathaliser you need, it an AA subscription!
i spose the only way to trust the gadget is if it says you are over the limit then you are and if it says you are ok then exercise caution
Old 03 November 2005, 03:38 PM
Reality
BANNED

My pal had one of these and one light we carried out an experiment.

The wife was driving - so didn't have any drinks at all - everybody else was getting blotto.

After a large amount of drinking we all had a go on the machine.

Wife - Clear
Me - Over
Pal - Over.

We then had coffee.

Wife - Clear
Me - Over
Pal - Clear

Me and my pal were having trouble standing upright at the time - so accurancy seems a problem !

I wouldn't trust my license to one of these machines.
Old 03 November 2005, 03:43 PM
sarasquares
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Reality
My pal had one of these and one light we carried out an experiment.

The wife was driving - so didn't have any drinks at all - everybody else was getting blotto.

After a large amount of drinking we all had a go on the machine.

Wife - Clear
Me - Over
Pal - Over.

We then had coffee.

Wife - Clear
Me - Over
Pal - Clear

Me and my pal were having trouble standing upright at the time - so accurancy seems a problem !

I wouldn't trust my license to one of these machines.
do you remember what one it was

Quick Reply: i am going to have one of these in my xmas stocking...