Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Speeding- 6 Points in 1 year!

Search this Thread

Old 02 November 2005, 08:27 AM
CyprusScooby
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Speeding- 6 Points in 1 year!

A friend of mine has just been caught for speeding. He already has 3 points already and he has only been driving for a year.
He is a delivery driver and can't afford to lose his licence.
Is there any way out of this?
Old 02 November 2005, 09:27 AM
SCOOBY TOWERS
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Basically - No.
Get a good barrister and try the "I'll loose my job" plea - taking along his boss to back him up / confirm the sack awaits him (dependants on his wage etc may also help).

Last time my boss had a simialr case (he's a magistrate) he made the boss give the lad all his holidays for this year & next on block, then banned him for that length of time.
Harsh but somehow fair
Old 02 November 2005, 09:33 AM
hedgehog
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There are lots of defences but in the first instance he must not be tempted to tell lies or claim, for example, that someone else was driving. In the mean time he should do absolutelty nothing but should keep all the paperwork he has been sent and should take himself over to www.pepipoo.com for some discussion of his situation. It may be that he has a good legal defence with a fair chance of success. Another option is to get a good motoring solicitor (not just someone who spends all his time doing divorces or something) to prepare a defence for him but this will be expensive. When his job is at stake the expense might be worthwhile.

I take it you saw the letters in the Daily Mail concerning the problems with the laser speed guns? They were most interesting and certainly put paid to the "if you've done nothing wrong you have nothing to fear" line. For example:

TWO months ago, a member of my staff felt unwell and I offered to run her home. As we drove round a bend, I noticed a parked vehicle that had a 'Police Speed Camera' sign on it. I immediately looked at my speed and noticed I was doing 36-38mph. I automatically hit my brakes.
After I dropped off my colleague, I went back to check the speed limit of this part of the road. I was delighted to note it was 40mph, and never thought any more about i, until I received a letter from Strathclyde Safety Camera Partnership informing me I had been caught speeding at 52mph.
I contacted them for a photograph as evidence, and they sent me one showing my pick-up truck with another vehicle to my left (outside lane), a second vehicle immediately behind me and possibly a third driving in the opposite direction - lots of activity which could have been picked up by the laser.
I have. now received a 'conditional offer of fixed penalty' of £60 and three penalty points on my licence. If I choose to stand my ground and question the validity of the equipment, I have been warned that I may face a fine of £1,000 and six penalty points if I fail to prove my innocence. Quite a threat if you stand up for your rights.

JACK CRAIG via e-mail