Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

freeview aerial

Search this Thread

Old 30 October 2005, 02:31 PM
paul-s
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default freeview aerial

got sky downstairs, bought a freeview box for a few extra channels in the room, signal strength is right on the minimum level for getting a picture/channel, so sometimes it goes funny.

Question, if i change the aerial to a supposed digital reciever aerial thing will this make a difference ? Will I get a couple more channels like e4 which im not getting now as this one doesnt pick them up ? or will it still be crap like it is now...

ta

paul
Old 30 October 2005, 02:36 PM
Scooby Soon!
Scooby Regular

I am getting 36% at the moment on my Argos £30 box, this is the minimum amount I have forund you can operate on so you dont get blocky interfeance. What I did was sit on the roof moving the aerial 1mm at a time while on the phone to someone in my front room. They watched the signal percentage until I got the highest amount. You wouldnt believe theat only moving the aerial by about 5mm can affect the picture by about 15%!! In my case it went from 20% up to 36% also old coax cable effect the picture a lot (some of my rooms it wont work because the cable is old)
Old 30 October 2005, 02:40 PM
paul-s
Scooby Regular

I have the aerial in the loft and have tried moving it about to get the best %. The cable is 2 joined together halfway through a connector thing.

Would a different aerial benefit me or just be the same as it is now ? Im only picking up 3 frequencies i think with my standard one.
Old 30 October 2005, 03:30 PM
Scooby Soon!
Scooby Regular

My aerial is about 5 years old, people in our little gang of houses (about 6 houses in our street who all know each other quite well) all got it after my neighbour had someone out to play with his aerial (didnt put a new one on just played around with the old one, it must be 10 years old). According to Freeview no one should be able to pick up didgital tv in this area but everyone has managed to pick it up even with old aerials BUT they are all fixed on chimmney pots, I wouldnt think having one in your loft would be doing you any favours.

Give a local TV aerial company a call and find out if they have got it working for anyone in your area, they will also let you know if its possible.
Old 30 October 2005, 04:07 PM
paulr
Scooby Regular

I tried a freeview box 2 years ago with the standard aerial in the loft,only got a few channels.Six months ago when E4 went on freeview i tried again but with a new wideband aerial from Maplin (£39) in the loft.Works a treat,get everything.
They even said i could return it if it didnt help.

So the answer to your question is yes,a new aerial should help.
Old 30 October 2005, 07:45 PM
kammy
Scooby Regular

Also have as less connections from arial to TV. Got a good telling off from an TV engineer when mine had four connectors in less then 10 meters.
Old 30 October 2005, 07:53 PM
Ken 275
Scooby Regular

Your solution may be a new co-axial cable.

I tried a Signal Booster but still no joy.

How many TV's do you have spliced to the main lead?

K.

Trending Topics

Old 30 October 2005, 09:35 PM
suprabeast
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by paul-s
got sky downstairs, bought a freeview box for a few extra channels in the room, signal strength is right on the minimum level for getting a picture/channel, so sometimes it goes funny.

Question, if i change the aerial to a supposed digital reciever aerial thing will this make a difference ? Will I get a couple more channels like e4 which im not getting now as this one doesnt pick them up ? or will it still be crap like it is now...

ta

paul
just pay for sky in your room you pikey
Old 30 October 2005, 09:44 PM
sti-04!!
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by suprabeast

Agreed

Old 30 October 2005, 10:33 PM
paul-s
Scooby Regular

Old 31 October 2005, 10:46 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

The proper aerial will help since it will be correctly tuned fpr the frequency. The connector in your coax is likely to produce extra losses too. So well worth replacing the entire run of coax so that it is new and in one piece. Old coax is also likely to have extra losses as well. Do a good job on the cable connections too. Waterproof the aerial connections with Vaseline-best stuff for the job.

Friend of mine did all of that and worked a bit at the aerial positioning and now has perfect reception from what was very poor beforehand.

Les
Old 31 October 2005, 11:19 AM
Robbie T
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by suprabeast
Agreed, a TV link is only £85 from sky IIRC. If not find your local friendly sky man and they will usually do it for a bit less (for holding folding), where are you i have a mate who works for sky?