Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Phone call costs

Search this Thread

Old 22 October 2005, 11:16 AM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Phone call costs

Phone charges are a black art to me. But general question. Is a land line to mobile call charge about the same as mobile to mobile? I know tariffes vary so just want an indication please. dl
Old 22 October 2005, 11:53 AM
Spoon
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by David Lock
Phone charges are a black art to me. But general question. Is a land line to mobile call charge about the same as mobile to mobile? I know tariffes vary so just want an indication please. dl
David- Difficult one depending on mobile tariffs really. The same mobile to mobile provider will be cheaper as a rule, as will cross network minutes.

Ringing a mobile from a landline also varies to a degree, again depending on the landline provider. However as a rule it can still be on average circa 15p a minute peak to call a mobile from a landline. (As prices again vary between airtime providers). Weekends are again approximately half the peak costs, less in some cases. (maybe 4p minute).

If you know what provider you are ringing and use the same, and your tariff costs are known, then mobile to mobile can be cheaper at peak times. (5p a minute).

You really have to know mobile and landline charges to give a definitive answer is what it all boils down to.
Old 22 October 2005, 12:13 PM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

Thanks Spoon, that's very helpful and I knew it wouldn't be straightforward !!!

I am asking 'cos: my daughter and 2 pals have just rented a flat at their uni town. They have taken on a Telewest Broadband connection (£14.99 month so not too bad and speed being upgraded). For an extra £16.50 per month they can have a phone line with unlimited evening and weekend calls (£5.50 per month each). Being girls they chat endlessly on the phone (all have mobiles) but most of their pals also have mobiles so having a FOC landline facility is not much use unless land line to mobiles shows a saving. However when they call their aged parents who answer on a landline they are going to save quite a bit by not using a mobile - in fact I will save as I won't get the "please call me back" message! And there are things she won't have thought of like waiting in a phone queue for 30 mins for her ISP help line or whatever. Hence the question David