State of the economy?

Search this Thread

Old 17 October 2005, 11:44 AM
Hanslow
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default State of the economy?

How many of you would agree with this?

What do you reckon would happen if/when it all goes down the pan?
Old 17 October 2005, 11:47 AM
Reality
BANNED

Originally Posted by Hanslow
How many of you would agree with this?

What do you reckon would happen if/when it all goes down the pan?
Same thing that always happens when Labour spend money we haven't got - they'll get booted out and someone will have to sort it out !

Seeing the warning about power supplies the other week looks like we could be heading for another winter of discontent
Old 17 October 2005, 12:01 PM
SJ_Skyline
Scooby Senior

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This has been brewing for the last 4 years with Brown's borrowing based on his "predictions" for future growth. This was emphasised by him changing the period of the economic cycle a couple of months back thus altering the metric by which he's measured - this amounts to moving the goalposts.

There's a couple of things that will happen:
- Tax increases to fund his absurd spending plans.
- Government spending cut - yeah right
- Brown finds another pot to plunder - probably a tax on the fund pots used to underwrite insurers.

The sooner the economy collapses, the sooner people will see him for the incompetent fraud he really is
Old 17 October 2005, 12:03 PM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Reality
Same thing that always happens when Labour spend money we haven't got - they'll get booted out and someone will have to sort it out !

Seeing the warning about power supplies the other week looks like we could be heading for another winter of discontent
Well at least it may give the nuclear industry a shot in the arm, a few more jobs and so on. Other than that, it'll be the 1970's all over again and it'll take the Tories or whoever another 10 years to get it all back in to shape in time for NL to become the "All New Labour Party" and pi$$ it up the wall all over again.
Old 17 October 2005, 12:11 PM
Account deleted by request
Scooby Regular

wheres UB when you need him
Old 17 October 2005, 12:11 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

There is no doubt about it. We've had the rise...it cannot continue like that. It must at some stage come to a halt, and eventually fall in to decline. What his job should be is making sure this decline is gradual and not a crash. Something upon which I severly question.

The daft thing is, the main stay of the problem with decline is growth is through NL red tape, bureaucracy and ignorant taxation policies which has been a big factor in stifling further growth. Businesses are struggling, the majority of tax payers are feeling the pinch and cutting back on personal and business expenditure is the only option (or moving overseas ).

Not to mention the colossal wasteage through the money chasm benefits system and Europe. Also the severe neglect of public services meaning further wastage through complete lack of reform and incorrectly implemented investment. All of which has a knock on effect.

Finally the lack of control and monitoring on the major banks operational strategies could be another huge detriment to enconmy. God knows how many hours a week I spend trying to sort out business finances through what is nothing short of sheer intentional incompetence. It costs uk businesses £billions. I'd hate to think what it has cost our business, through their monumental and continual **** ups

Well, that's another fine mess you've got us into Stanley

Last edited by ALi-B; 17 October 2005 at 12:17 PM.
Old 17 October 2005, 12:13 PM
Petem95
Scooby Regular

The economy is in a VERY bad way - the only reason things have seemed good for so long is that the government has allowed house prices to bubble fueling a MASSIVE consumer spending spree which is keep the economy on the boil until recently, and to keep up their spending theyve removed £5billion from pensions which will cause massive damage in the long run (but hey they dont look that far ahead)

Look at whats happening now:

- £1.1trillion UK consumer debt
- Rocking numbers of people going backrupt
- Unemployment rising at fastest rate since last crash
- House price crash almost inevitable
- Inflatation rocketing mainly due to oil (high inflation means interest rates need to rise)

The problem is you either accept things are out of hand, and theres a crash/recession, then slowely things get going again - or you keep doing things to put off the correction for longer and longer (whats been happpening), meaning that when the crash comes it will be even worse.

Trending Topics

Old 17 October 2005, 12:28 PM
rossyboy
Scooby Regular

Received 94 Likes on 58 Posts

and if you had read a magazine in the Sunday Times yesterday, it would have really depressed the hell out of you like it did me.

They reckon oil will be completely gone in 30-40 years and some suggest it will even start to get scarce in 10. Wars will be fought over it (like they aren't already ) and it will lead to a return to the stone age when it goes. Foraging in your garden for bugs to eat and the like when the distribution networks collapse.

They reckon that there just isnt the dramatic innovation anymore that is needed to keep the growth of the last 200 years going.

I am not going to buy this paper anymore in case I just end up shooting myself
Old 17 October 2005, 12:45 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

We're ALL better off than we were 8 years ago ............... if you are NOT then I put it to you that you have been incompetent in managing your life!!

Sort yourselves out ..... not look to Government to wipe your ***** for you!!

Bleet, bleet, moan, moan ...... while those that do - DO!!

Pete
Old 17 October 2005, 12:50 PM
Dracoro
Scooby Regular

Is your mouth full of sand pete?
Old 17 October 2005, 12:52 PM
SJ_Skyline
Scooby Senior

Pete,

I put it to you that you're a fool!

p.s. I spotted these on ebay for you
Old 17 October 2005, 01:04 PM
Diablo
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by pslewis
We're ALL better off than we were 8 years ago ............... if you are NOT then I put it to you that you have been incompetent in managing your life!!

Sort yourselves out ..... not look to Government to wipe your ***** for you!!

Bleet, bleet, moan, moan ...... while those that do - DO!!

Pete
LOL

But how much better off again might we be under a tory government

It's been heading this way for a while though.

To answer the question posed by the original poster, yes I agree with what the BBC have reported. Only the very stupid would think that Gordon Brown has done a good job.

Consumer debt is about to implode, bankruptcy figures will increase, spending will go down, retail and manufacturing will see a slump in sales etc, etc, etc.

Personally, that's fine by me because that's my business. But unlike Pete, I can see that its not good for everyone else.
Old 17 October 2005, 01:08 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Come on then .............. hands up which losers are NOT better off than they were 8 years ago???

Lets see you, lets see who cannot run their affairs properly!!

If no-one comes on here and states that they are a loser then I will conclude, and everyone else can too, that Mr Brown has done a FANTASTIC job!!

I'm waiting .............

Pete
Old 17 October 2005, 01:12 PM
Dracoro
Scooby Regular

Things have been fine up till now. Many people are more concerned though about what things will be like in the future.
Old 17 October 2005, 01:21 PM
Diablo
Scooby Regular

Come on then .............. hands up which losers are NOT better off than they were 8 years ago???

Lets see you, lets see who cannot run their affairs properly!!

If no-one comes on here and states that they are a loser then I will conclude, and everyone else can too, that Mr Brown has done a FANTASTIC job!!

I'm waiting .............

Pete
LOL

Typical - ignore the pertinent point

BTW - before I continue, I think it is pretty obvious that Pete votes tory anyway, despite how he may protest to the contrary and that he just does this for a wind up.

Like I said - how much better again may we, and the economy be, if we had had 8 years of tory government?
Old 17 October 2005, 01:21 PM
Dieseldog
Scooby Regular

These ********* (probably should be "this ********") who demand we salute NL when things are going well personally, yet tell us we are responsible when things go badly really are the root of everything wrong with this country - never mind the facts or the truth or forward thinking - just shout loud and long and spin a yarn so Labour get re-elected.

We need to face facts - Brown is overspending, he's been unrealistic and disengenuous with his forecasts, admittedly not helped by his parties blundering, short sighted, expensive foreign policy that's helped push the world into recession and the only people who are going to pay for his simplistic deceiving policies are us. Am selling up in the new year and am sorely tempted to take it abroad. The satisaction of avoiding paying Brown taxes would be great
Old 17 October 2005, 01:23 PM
Diablo
Scooby Regular

I should add, that I would happily have foregone the benefits of a lower starting tax rate for, say, less crime on our streets (due to an underfunded police force having to rely on speed cameras to generate income, for example)
Old 17 October 2005, 01:27 PM
Diablo
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Dieseldog
These ********* (probably should be "this ********") who demand we salute NL when things are going well personally, yet tell us we are responsible when things go badly really are the root of everything wrong with this country - never mind the facts or the truth or forward thinking - just shout loud and long and spin a yarn so Labour get re-elected.

We need to face facts - Brown is overspending, he's been unrealistic and disengenuous with his forecasts, admittedly not helped by his parties blundering, short sighted, expensive foreign policy that's helped push the world into recession and the only people who are going to pay for his simplistic deceiving policies are us. Am selling up in the new year and am sorely tempted to take it abroad. The satisaction of avoiding paying Brown taxes would be great
Mate, Labour get re-elected because the majority of their support are lacking in the intelligence to see beyond their "ah vote Labour because ma father voted labour, and his before him" sheep like mentality of the average low income shop floor brit.
Old 17 October 2005, 01:31 PM
SJ_Skyline
Scooby Senior

From a works canteen conversation:

"I bet you put a cross against Labour then?"
"No, I put a tick. You tick the one you want and put crosses against the ones you don't want"

Old 17 October 2005, 01:36 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

I'm a loser and running away
Loser Number1

NEXT!!??

Pete
Old 17 October 2005, 01:38 PM
Dieseldog
Scooby Regular

Shame you have to make up others quotes, you sad little man.

Still, good to see you sticking to NL principles...
Old 17 October 2005, 01:38 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Diablo
I'm not a happy TORY voter - being a TORY supporter makes me a loser!!
Loser number 2

NEXT??!!

Pete
Old 17 October 2005, 01:40 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Shame you have to make up others quotes, you sad little man
Loser number 1 ............. just cutting through the crap, mate!!

You can't hack it here so want to run away ..... that was what you said, wasn't it????

Pete
Old 17 October 2005, 01:45 PM
Dieseldog
Scooby Regular

You can't hack it here so want to run away ..... Pete
More to do with the idea of saving myself quite a lot a year, and taking pride in the fact that I wouldn't be contributing to Browns madcap policies, thus hastening his demise. It all helps!
Old 17 October 2005, 02:08 PM
Petem95
Scooby Regular

So as pslewis is a blind follower of NL policy, he will no doubt agree with NL that house prices wont crash (GB has put an end to boom and bust remember?....), so rush out there and get a 10x salary interest only mortgage. It'll be great in the long term because house prices will continue to rise at 20% a year forever wont they... And while youre at it get out those credit cards and spend spend spend!! The economy is in great shape says GB, look at his growth forcasts! All rosy!!.....

Heres the afore mentioned Times article for anyone interested:
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article...813695,00.html
Old 17 October 2005, 02:11 PM
Diablo
Scooby Regular

God, I am such a ***** sucking ******
Pete
LOL

See, anyone can do that
Old 17 October 2005, 02:13 PM
Diablo
Scooby Regular

- just "cutting through the crap", of course
Old 17 October 2005, 02:35 PM
kingofturds
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

new labour are totally incompetent some of their policies are just mindless.

the country is in the grip of drunken yob culture,lets open pubs up for 24 hour drinking that should sort it

1.3million on the dole and 2.7 million on incapacity benefit lets not make those poor folk work, lets open our country up and let in 1.3 million eu workers

violent crime at an all time high, lets cut jail terms and tag em that'll show those scumbags
Old 17 October 2005, 02:56 PM
Reality
BANNED

Originally Posted by Petem95
Heres the afore mentioned Times article for anyone interested:
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article...813695,00.html
Very Interesting

Very Worrying

Very hard to argue with

If you read nothing else this week - READ THIS !!!!
Old 17 October 2005, 03:08 PM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by rossyboy
and if you had read a magazine in the Sunday Times yesterday, it would have really depressed the hell out of you like it did me.

They reckon oil will be completely gone in 30-40 years and some suggest it will even start to get scarce in 10. Wars will be fought over it (like they aren't already ) and it will lead to a return to the stone age when it goes. Foraging in your garden for bugs to eat and the like when the distribution networks collapse.

They reckon that there just isnt the dramatic innovation anymore that is needed to keep the growth of the last 200 years going.

I am not going to buy this paper anymore in case I just end up shooting myself
The quote was:
But, on the most optimistic projections, there are only 30 to 40 years of oil left. One pessimistic projection, from Sweden's Uppsala University, is that world reserves are massively overstated and the oil will start to run out in 10 years.
Note the use of the word "reserves". By that, they mean we can sustain current demand (which tends to increase year on year) for 30 - 40 more years, NOT that oil will run out completely in 30-40 years. While oil maybe finite, we will never use it all. IIRC - 30 year oil reserves are about the highest we have ever had.

Quick Reply: State of the economy?