Search this Thread

Old 16 October 2005, 05:50 PM
hedgehog
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Frightened? You will be

http://observer.guardian.co.uk/uk_ne...593204,00.html

Drivers face 24-hour spy cameras

Fury over 'attack on liberties' as Newcastle pioneers a tracking scheme that could catch on

Lorna Martin
Sunday October 16, 2005
The Observer

A network of hi-tech cameras capable of tracking the movements of every car could become a feature of cities across Britain.
The North East is set to become the first region to introduce a controversial system which automatically records information about every vehicle passing through Newcastle and the surrounding area.

The scheme, which has provoked a heated debate with critics saying it smacks of Big Brother tactics and raises questions about individual freedom, could give a glimpse into the future of driving in Britain.

Under the plans, automatic number plate recognition cameras, similar to those now used by police to trace the 8.5 million cars which are untaxed, uninsured or suspected to be involved in criminal or terrorist activity, would be situated throughout Tyne and Wear and administered by the local council. Other local authorities are understood to be considering introducing similar systems.

The aim of the £1million Newcastle scheme, unveiled last week, is to gather information about the frequency and distance of journeys made by drivers in the area and to explore the possibility of road user charging.

'When a car enters the network, the camera records the number plate, and then when the car shows up somewhere else on the network it cancels itself out,' said Greg Stone, the council's executive member for transport. 'It means we can get a picture of how many people are doing very short journeys.'

He insisted identifying information on motorists would not be stored.
'We are not tracking identity. We are simply tracking vehicles to establish journey patterns.'

But critics of congestion charging warned a number-plate logging system was a step closer to a fully-fledged road-pricing network. They also expressed concerns about infringements of individual privacy.

Martin Callanan, the MEP for North East England, said there were huge implications for civil liberties: 'This is a huge intrusion by the state into people's everyday lives, and it is all being done by stealth.

'My main concern is that this system is, in effect, recording where everybody has been in their car in Tyneside at any time of the day or night. This information will be stored on a local council computer, and I fear we are a short step away from when that is linked to the DVLA system and the council will know where every individual person is, day or night. There are huge civil liberty implications.'

His concerns were echoed by many drivers in the city. George Naisbitt, the managing director of a taxi company, said politicians were 'hell-bent' on driving people out of their cars and on to public transport.

'They are making it as difficult as possible for drivers to get into the town. The government is trying desperately to get the British public to give up their cars. But I don't think they realise it is a task akin to un-inventing the wheel. They are living on cloud-cuckoo land if they think people are going to leave their cars at home and stand in a queue for a bus or a train or a metro that does not come on time,' said Naisbitt.

He had no problem with police CCTV cameras which ringed the city centre.
'They serve a useful purpose: fighting and tackling crime. But this new scheme is just about monitoring private individuals in their cars.'

Neil Quinn, 23, a metallurgist, said he objected to the idea of his movements being monitored: 'I feel you can't do anything on the road without people knowing about it. It feels like an invasion of privacy.
You get into your car to get away from things.'

Despite their concerns, motoring organisations said it was inevitable that more CCTV cameras would crop up across Britain in the future.

Kevin Delaney, an RAC road safety adviser, said there would be much more monitoring and control of drivers in the years ahead.

'Much of it will be benign. Drivers are prepared to trade a bit of privacy to be able to know the shortest route from A to B. The idea of all these hi-tech cameras and such close monitoring takes a bit of getting used to. In 20 or 30 years, people will wake up and book a slot on the M1. This monitoring system is the first step.'

Last edited by Chris L; 16 October 2005 at 08:52 PM.
Old 16 October 2005, 06:05 PM
dexter
Scooby Regular

Well my take on the situation is that all of this will come in, whether we like it or not, along with satellite systems which stop us putting our foot down when we feel like a quick drive.

So.........enjoy your Scoobies, and other quick stuff, whilst you can girls and boys, as I fear that we are the last generation that will be free to experience it.
Old 16 October 2005, 06:49 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by dexter
Well my take on the situation is that all of this will come in, whether we like it or not, along with satellite systems which stop us putting our foot down when we feel like a quick drive.

So.........enjoy your Scoobies, and other quick stuff, whilst you can girls and boys, as I fear that we are the last generation that will be free to experience it.
...............in THIS country, at least

Time for civil unrest, methinks. Refusal to carry numberplates could be the first step?

Alcazar
Old 16 October 2005, 07:13 PM
hedgehog
Scooby Regular

I wonder why the only focus of all this activity is to track motorists? I mean, if this were really about public safety and security then surely some bloke on a bike is just as likely to be a murderer as a motorist? This raises the question why no attempt is to be made to track cyclists, for example.

The comments by the RAC are also amazing in view of the fact that they are supposed to represent motorists. For a start most drivers already know the shortest route between A and B and currently they don't have to book a slot on the M1 so why should they want to, specially at £1.43 per mile.

Of course because of the current and recent policy to "discredit" the motorist by blaming all accidents on him, painting him as someone who randomly mows down children for a laugh and implying that global warming is his fault through some mysterious mechanism many members of the public are willing to subscribe to the assertion that there needs to be more "control" of motorists. What they are actually subscribing to is more control of everyone, full stop.
Old 16 October 2005, 10:15 PM
CLSII
Scooby Regular

I'd thoroughly recommend George Orwells '1984' to anyone who hasn't read it.

It should have probably been called '2014'

Ironically all this from a Labour government
Old 16 October 2005, 10:35 PM
Ben WRX Bug-Eye
Scooby Regular

Just another excuse to raise even more revenue from the motorist. When will this ever increasing persecution of the car user level off I wonder. I use public transport in the week and it is an awful and stressful experience. I think the average motorist already contributes way more than their fair share to the government funds, and yet they always find ways to justify more. 'Congestion' certainly seems to be New Labours favourite smoke screen.

Anybody still believe we don't have an elected dictatorship?
Old 16 October 2005, 11:03 PM
Luminous
Scooby Regular

I so hope that when the next General election comes along this becomes an issue.

Whatever we say now counts for nothing. We need to make a fuss when it matters. Then simply vote for the party that has the best transport policy

Trending Topics

Old 17 October 2005, 08:31 AM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
Thumbs down

Whatever we say now counts for nothing. We need to make a fuss when it matters. Then simply vote for the party that has the best transport policy
NONE of the lying scumbags have a decent transport policy.

Read "Mike Rutherford" in Motoring Express.

Alcazar
Old 17 October 2005, 08:47 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Dexter, you still have a vote-at the moment! Worth doing something useful with it.

CLSII, Try reading Animal Farm by the same author first just to set the scene as to how far we have got at the moment. 1984 will apply soon afterwards.

I have noticed bright green cameras appearing all over the place these days. They look similar to the dark blue ones and are often in the same place Are these ANR cameras I wonder?

Les
Old 17 October 2005, 09:09 AM
KiwiGTI
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Luminous
I so hope that when the next General election comes along this becomes an issue.

Unfortunately the majority don't vote with their brain anymore, if they do vote at all.

Basically democracy now works like this :

I'm happy and doing OK - vote for the incumbent party.
The economy is stuffed and I'm struggling - vote for the opposition party.
Old 17 October 2005, 09:37 AM
Muffleman
Scooby Regular

The legislation decision seems fairly simple to me, it's a damn sight easier to catch motorists than real criminals - so let's do that !!!
Old 17 October 2005, 09:56 AM
SJ_Skyline
Scooby Senior

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Drive with no numberplate, whats the worst that can happen? You get stopped and "did you know you had no numberplate sir?", 7 day producer.

There will be no police patrols to stop you anyway!!

Sounds like they are trying to make motorist synonymous with criminal I do hope they realise that this will affect deliveries of nuts, tofu and sandals to the North East!
Old 17 October 2005, 01:40 PM
NotoriousREV
Scooby Regular

Remember, the voting public that voted NL in also voted to keep Chico in X Factor. That should tell you everything you need to know.
Old 17 October 2005, 09:22 PM
a1oku
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Originally Posted by dexter

How depressing!Whatever happened to revolting youth?When you are young,you are broadminded and narrow waisted,when you get older,you become narrow minded and broad waisted.Im a bit older than many of you on here.In my first flush of youth,in the sixties we didn't take crap.......from anyone.Womens' liberation,the pill,free love,anti racism,the works.When we didn't get what we wanted we went out onto the streets!!Today many of you seem to have been brainwashed by total crap about speed being dangerous,( I actually think that tosspots hogging the middle lane doing 50 or 60 are more dangerous),you seem to accept 'expert' opinion without question( using mobiles is dangerous when driving),they can be at times,but only at times.You accept that crime is at unacceptable levels,viz the threads about Scoobies being nicked etc but you do nothing about the enormous waste of manpower being diverted to 'traffic ' duties.You accept without question, totally unnecessary increases in petrol tax,being ripped off by fuel companies and the enormous infringements being made,in the name of the common good,in the field of personal freedom and computer monitoring of your lives.No doubt you will accept identity cards in due course,with a few platitudes being posted,but very soon the posts will be about other 'important' matters like insurance costs and how fast your car can go etc and the big issues seem to merrily pass you by!!!Somebody,please tell me I've got twenty and thirty somethings wrong cause if I'm right ,the future is certaintly not orange,it's black because a generation is willing to accept crap and do nothing about it!!!!Rant finished but for God's sake wake up and open your eyes!!!
Old 17 October 2005, 09:42 PM
StickyMicky
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by NotoriousREV
Remember, the voting public that voted NL in also voted to keep Chico in X Factor. That should tell you everything you need to know.
FPMSL