Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Anyone been to Maldives in December?

Search this Thread

Old 15 October 2005, 08:35 PM
Deep Singh
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone been to Maldives in December?

This is very confusing. Brochures/websites all say the best time to go is Nov to Apr but then also quote some of the highest rainfalls for Dec. I don't understand it.

Does it mean it rains heavy for a hour everyday and then clears up?

I have to take my holiday in Dec, it would ruin it if it rained most the time.

Can anybody help?
Old 15 October 2005, 08:42 PM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

Never been to the tropics, but I think you're right about the short bursts of heavy rain. Probably quite a relief as it will cool things down a little, and give you chance to go get a beer and some lunch
Old 15 October 2005, 09:05 PM
Christ
Scooby Regular

December's a good time of year to go, I think peak rainfall is around June/July..

I took this in December 2004:

Old 15 October 2005, 10:35 PM
albob
Scooby Regular

Received 51 Likes on 40 Posts

I spent a YEAR there when I was in the RAF - when it rains it RAINS for DAYS! - like several inches....... well 200mm (it was a long time ago........)
this link will give u some idea on the sun/rain variation

www.unisurf.com/weather.html

alan
Old 15 October 2005, 10:53 PM
Deep Singh
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the input.

This is what I don't understand. On this link by albob the text states that Nov onwards is the dry season/monsoon but then the graph shows 200mm of rain for the month. What am I missing?
Old 15 October 2005, 11:44 PM
SamUK
Scooby Senior

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

was there for 7 nights in the 1st week of October....(Rain and clouds)
Old 16 October 2005, 12:30 AM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

Oh! I want to go there so much! The only thing is,its just watersports to do there apparently and nothing else. Not that i dont like it but I'd rather do more activities and see tons of places etc etc on a holiday.Looks like a paradise tho.
Very similar look to the Caribbean!

Trending Topics

Old 16 October 2005, 09:07 AM
P1Fanatic
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Turbohot
Oh! I want to go there so much! The only thing is,its just watersports to do there apparently and nothing else. Not that i dont like it but I'd rather do more activities and see tons of places etc etc on a holiday.Looks like a paradise tho.
Very similar look to the Caribbean!
Thats the whole point, you go there to chill out. No jet skiing or speed boats. Most islands offer plenty of trips. But too be honest if your worrying about not having anything to do then its probably not the place for you.

Spent two weeks in april. Best holiday Ive ever had. Really does live up to the brochure pictures. April is the last month of the so called dry season and we only had one day of rain. Even then its so warm and everyone was out snorkelling.

Deep Singh - you will find that even the real time weather reports are very inaccurate as the weather changes per island/atoll. I personally would have no problems about going in Dec.

Cheers,
Simon.

P.S. Heres some of my pics to help convince you

http://community.webshots.com/user/p1fanatic
Old 16 October 2005, 09:42 AM
Deep Singh
Scooby Regular

Turbohot, as others have said its a 'chill out' holiday. You can always combine it with another place like Dubai/India/Sri Lanka to add some adventure

Top pics Simon! Its worrying that Sam went for a week and had rain and clouds all the time. I'm trying to find info on how the weather system varies from atol to atol.

Anymore info welcomed

Deep
Old 16 October 2005, 10:44 AM
Milamber
Scooby Senior

I went in January and it was hotter than you can believe 46 degrees at some points. When it rains you're grateful. It's quite something to see when it does start to rain, imagine the heaviest rain you've ever seen in Britain....... then triple it.....and add 10.

It does sound a bit boring but trust me you soon get into the swing of it. The first couple of days I was panicking and regretting booking, by day 3 I couldn't be bothered walking to lunch. From then on it's the most relaxing holiday you could ever imagine.

Go, and stop worrying about it!
Old 16 October 2005, 10:47 AM
555-Shaggy
Scooby Regular

We were there last November.. and it rained.. overnight.. but the days were dry.. we had maybe a quick shower one lunch time but 10 mins later was all dry again and you would never know it had rained.. I'd avoid the monsoon season (may/july) monsoons are not fun when you are stuck in the middle of one, but no hesitation about going any other time... just go.. its an awesome place.. I love the flight into Mali....

Old 16 October 2005, 10:48 AM
Milamber
Scooby Senior

P1Fanatic, just browsed your photos. You cheated! you were wearing shoes.......

No news, no shoes
Old 16 October 2005, 10:49 AM
Kieran_Burns
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

The Maldives is totally about relaxing and enjoying just not worrying - we made 1 breakfast in the 14 days we were at Meedhuparu - you just don't need to rush anywhere.

When it rains, by God it rains - we had ONE storm pass over - and you could physically hear the rain front pass over the hut. Astonishing amount of water in such a short period of time!

Oh, and I hope you Geckos Chirping little buggers
Old 16 October 2005, 01:38 PM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

P1Fanatic, superb pics!
I will definitely go now.Always wanted to do so but I was told that it could be quite boring.It wont be if you go with someone interesting anyway
Old 16 October 2005, 01:44 PM
P1Fanatic
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Kieran_Burns
The Maldives is totally about relaxing and enjoying just not worrying - we made 1 breakfast in the 14 days we were at Meedhuparu - you just don't need to rush anywhere.

When it rains, by God it rains - we had ONE storm pass over - and you could physically hear the rain front pass over the hut. Astonishing amount of water in such a short period of time!

Oh, and I hope you Geckos Chirping little buggers
Lol I dont think I missed one breakfast - partly due to my sri lankan friend in the restaurant that made the best belgian waffles with golden syrup

Simon.
Old 16 October 2005, 01:54 PM
P1Fanatic
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Milamber
P1Fanatic, just browsed your photos. You cheated! you were wearing shoes.......

No news, no shoes
Lol that was my birthday meal. Was excellent. Champagne and 3 courses right next to the sea. Only 3 other tables and so dark could only see their candles. Food was lovely - prawns tasted so good.

Was only wearing flip flops to avoid stepping on the crabs on the beach on the walk to the restaurant. Only other time I wore shoes was on Male.

One thing I found was a lot of people said things we really expensive. However when I got there bottle of corona was $3, walls magnum was $2.50. Same price as UK if not cheaper - which is amazing considering the isolation.

Simon.
Old 16 October 2005, 01:56 PM
P1Fanatic
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Turbohot
P1Fanatic, superb pics!
I will definitely go now.Always wanted to do so but I was told that it could be quite boring.It wont be if you go with someone interesting anyway
For me a holiday is all about relaxing. No better place in the world IMHO. If your a sightseeing person then there is still a fair bit to do. However Id recommend going for 7-10 nights as 2 weeks might start to bore you as you cant exactly jump in a taxi and try another restaurant one night.

I want to go back next year but mrs wants to try somewhere else which Ive agreed as good to try different places. Will definetely go back soon though.

Simon.
Old 16 October 2005, 02:02 PM
P1Fanatic
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Deep Singh
Turbohot, as others have said its a 'chill out' holiday. You can always combine it with another place like Dubai/India/Sri Lanka to add some adventure

Top pics Simon! Its worrying that Sam went for a week and had rain and clouds all the time. I'm trying to find info on how the weather system varies from atol to atol.

Anymore info welcomed

Deep
Tbh you could be unlucky and get rain any time of the year. But I personally think you will be fine in December.

As we were there in April when the season changes the ocean was like a millpond. Looked like glass for as far as the eye could see. Loads of dolphins. flying fish, sharks, turtles, rays you name it.

Best trip we did by far was the cheesily named "loveboat cruise". We and 4 other couples went on an old sailing boat for the day. All food and drinks included. Drop offs at a sandbank and reef in the middle of the ocean - cant see anything in any direction. Back on board for lunch. 100's of dolphins with baby ones jumping out of the water doing somersaults. Unbelievable.

It is very hot being close to the Equator. Most recommend factor 40 for the first few days otherwise you will burn. Especially on your back and legs when snorkelling.

Seaplane transfer was good. Cramped and hot but approx 10mins to North Male Atoll as opposed to 1hr by Dhoni. Views are better as well Some of the further atolls can take 4hrs + by dhoni. Well worth the £50 return we paid each IMHO.

Any questions let me know.

Cheers,
Simon.
Old 16 October 2005, 02:51 PM
Suresh
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

We spent 2 weeks on Thudufushi with Kuoni in Dec 2000 at the end of our honeymoon.
Only place I've ever been to that was even better than the brochure!
Had no rain whatsoever from what I can remember.

As Nike would say - just do it!!

Suresh
Old 16 October 2005, 05:09 PM
Dr Hu
Scooby Regular

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

P1Fanatic - what island is that?

Went about 5 years ago and loved it - fancy going again, looks a nice resort that one...
Old 16 October 2005, 05:42 PM
P1Fanatic
Scooby Regular

Meeru Island Resort (Meerufenfushi). Was a 3.5* resort but they have moved upmarket with some seriously nice Jacuzzi Water Villas.

Thing that swung it for us was a) Friends reccommended and b) the amount of info we found on the UK forums dedicated to the resort - http://www.meeru.co.uk/forum/

Cheers,
Simon
Old 16 October 2005, 07:25 PM
Gymbal
Scooby Regular

If I remember if you go to the northern end of the atolls the climate does vary slightly compared with southern end islands hence the variation of rainy seasons. We went to Hakura in mid November no rain at all. Would certainly go in December north or south!
Old 16 October 2005, 09:15 PM
Deep Singh
Scooby Regular

Thank you very much for all the input. Planning to do a couple of days in Dubai and then 7 in Maldives.
Old 16 October 2005, 11:29 PM
druddle
Scooby Regular

P1 - thought i recognised the picture, i have one identical. We went to Meeru on April this year and it was amazing. Omlette and waffle man was awesome in the mornings, we had a room on the beach that was half in the water with stingrays and sharks swimming past every 30 seconds !!!

Pic 1

Pic 2

Pic 3

Dave
Old 17 October 2005, 12:35 PM
P1Fanatic
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by druddle
P1 - thought i recognised the picture, i have one identical. We went to Meeru on April this year and it was amazing. Omlette and waffle man was awesome in the mornings, we had a room on the beach that was half in the water with stingrays and sharks swimming past every 30 seconds !!!

Pic 1

Pic 2

Pic 3

Dave
How freaky. You were there same month as as and also in Berks. We were there April 9th-23rd what about you? We did first week in a land villa and 2nd week in a water villa - which is what you stayed in from your description. In the land villa we ate at the restaurant nr main reception. The new restaurant in meeru village was much better - waffles for starters Loved the grilled steaks etc. Suringa was the guys name - on chef training from Sri Lanka. Never a bead of sweat on his head even when on that grill for hours.

We made friends with a couple staying in the jacuzzi water villas which are in a different league. Massive with plasma tv, dvd, seperates stereo, huge shower and bathroom and oriental style furniture. Also a nice big balcony hanging over the water which was great at night as had a light to turn on and watch the sharks chasing the fish.

Did you do the loveboat cruise?

Simon

P.S. cant seem to view your pics
Old 17 October 2005, 04:27 PM
Deep Singh
Scooby Regular

Can't see the pics either!
Old 17 October 2005, 05:32 PM
druddle
Scooby Regular

P1 - will try and sort out the pics. We got there on 24th April i think for a week and yes we stayed in a water villa. Meeru village end was alot nicer i thought. Went sea fishing and caught a MASSIVE red snapper - and ate it for $5 extra !! It was too big to fit on the platter so they had to cut it in half !!

Didnt do the loveboat cruise, but did some fishing and snorkelling. Did the dolphin sunset cruise which was OK.

Dave
Old 17 October 2005, 05:39 PM
P1Fanatic
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by druddle
P1 - will try and sort out the pics. We got there on 24th April i think for a week and yes we stayed in a water villa. Meeru village end was alot nicer i thought. Went sea fishing and caught a MASSIVE red snapper - and ate it for $5 extra !! It was too big to fit on the platter so they had to cut it in half !!

Didnt do the loveboat cruise, but did some fishing and snorkelling. Did the dolphin sunset cruise which was OK.

Dave
We didnt try the fishing but everyone who went said it was good fun. We did the sub trip but was waste of money IMHO.

House reef was pretty good. We found a leopard shark and a turtle we swam with for about 30 mins.

Even managed to get out sailing on the Cat one day. That was a good laugh as the wind picked up and we were zipping around the boats.

Village end was far better. The sand in the restaurant and bar is watered ever night to reduce the amount of dust. Its then replaced for new sand every 3 months. 500 staff on meeru. Even when its full there are only 240 guests so thats a min of 2 staff to each guest

Simon.

Simon.
Old 17 October 2005, 10:06 PM
druddle
Scooby Regular

Have a go with these....

Pic 1

Pic 2

Dave
Old 17 October 2005, 10:17 PM
SamUK
Scooby Senior

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Deep Singh

Anymore info welcomed

Deep
Though went to Dubai for 3 nights straight after and it was 38degrees...

also just got back from Lasvagas....highly recommended...(if you can keep away from the wife)

Quick Reply: Anyone been to Maldives in December?