Search this Thread

Old 06 October 2005, 11:55 AM
TopBanana
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Next Conservative leader

Who do you think will win?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/4311348.stm

Last edited by TopBanana; 06 October 2005 at 11:58 AM.
Old 06 October 2005, 11:59 AM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

It doesn't matter. If the British public still have thier heads up their backsides at the next election, then even TB couldn't win it for the Tories. If they have realised how crap NL actually are, then the tories could front a gibbon and win it.
Old 06 October 2005, 12:00 PM
TopBanana
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by OllyK
It doesn't matter. If the British public still have thier heads up their backsides at the next election, then even TB couldn't win it for the Tories. If they have realised how crap NL actually are, then the tories could front a gibbon and win it.
Of course it matters, you don't vote for someone just because you don't like their opponents!
Old 06 October 2005, 12:03 PM
Hanslow
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by TopBanana
you don't vote for someone just because you don't like their opponents!
Given some of the comments Labour voters gave after the last election I wouldn't be too sure.

So many people seemed to think that Lib Dems just weren't viable, followed by I never vote Tory, so I may as well vote Labour.
Old 06 October 2005, 12:03 PM
SJ_Skyline
Scooby Senior

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think Ken Clarke is the better leader but I think both his age and people's attitudes are against him so it will be David Davis (IMHO). Shame really as I think Clarke would really rip Bliar & Brown to shreds over the dispatchers box.
Old 06 October 2005, 12:06 PM
MJW
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by OllyK
Well they've fronted gibbons for the past decade, but it doesn't appear to have worked - maybe its time for an orang-utang.
Old 06 October 2005, 12:07 PM
TelBoy
Scooby Regular

As many of the broadsheets have said, *including* the Torygraph, Ken Clarke would be a mistake. They need to increase Cameron's visibility and then we might JUST have a credible alternative to Dross and Drosser.
Old 06 October 2005, 12:07 PM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by TopBanana
Of course it matters, you don't vote for someone just because you don't like their opponents!
You may not, I may not, but I suspect that the majority of the people who voted NL last time did so without too much thinking about the consequences.
Old 06 October 2005, 12:08 PM
Dieseldog
Scooby Regular

Ken Clarke???? He's married to Aunt Bessie fercrissake!

On consideration, might get cheaper Yorkies, so my vote goes to him
Old 06 October 2005, 12:10 PM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

Clarke by a mile. But I don't think they are going to get very far until they lose their middle class vicarage tea party image.
Old 06 October 2005, 12:22 PM
unclebuck
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Originally Posted by Dieseldog
Ken Clarke???? He's married to Aunt Bessie fercrissake!
That's what's important of course.

Forget about saving the country from the New Labour police state.... do you fancy the Conservative Leader's wife!! - that's what counts...

Old 06 October 2005, 12:30 PM
Dieseldog
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by unclebuck
Forget about saving the country from the New Labour police state.... do you fancy the Conservative Leader's wife!! - that's what counts...

err... a bit of a joke UB. My apologies. However, if you think the press won't mercilessly rip into the guy for his homely 'suede hush puppies, pint of ale and a cigar in the pub' image you need to think back to the Micheael Foot at the cenotaph 'donkey jacket' incident. There's no way Clarke could possibly win. It would be madness to have this guy fronting the Conservatives
Old 06 October 2005, 12:31 PM
Iwan
Scooby Regular

The only candidates who I can actually picture being PM (at the moment) are Clarke or Rifkind. The others, while they might be good polititions just don't strike me as having what it takes to be a leader.

Davis - way too bland, I don't think he'll be able to inspire people to back him on anything.

Cameron - a definate possible, but would like to see a few more years on him before he'd get my vote.

What really scares me is we'll get another 'average' tory leader like IDS or Hague leading the next election battle - and we'll lose again.
Old 06 October 2005, 12:38 PM
Dracoro
Scooby Regular

This is NOT, I REPEAT NOT about putting in a leader to make current tories happy. They're gonna vote tory anyway. It's about getting votes of people who STOPPED voting conservatives. I can see Clarke doing this, I can see Cameron doing this. I can see May doing this (although she didn't throw her hat into the ring, I can see if happening in a few years). I can't really see Davis, Fox or Rifkind doing this.
Old 06 October 2005, 12:40 PM
TelBoy
Scooby Regular

If Rifkind gets it, i'm voting Labour. THAT'S how bad that choice would be.
Old 06 October 2005, 12:43 PM
Karl 227
BANNED

I watched Davis on the news this morning, I think "Sciboy" is possibly more inspiring
Old 06 October 2005, 12:46 PM
unclebuck
Scooby Regular

I think on reflection that Clarke is the best man for the job. Let's face it the press will rip into whoever takes up the reigns.

The fact is that Ken Clarke created the stable economy that the current shower inherited, took the credit for, and subsequently pi$$ed up against the wall. This puts Ken Clarke in an ideal position to take on and expose that cheating charlatan Brown when he finally slimes his way into number 10 in the not too distant future.
Old 06 October 2005, 12:47 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

I missed Rifkind's and Fox's speeches but Davis was absolutely ZZZZzzzz and Cameron is almost as plastic as Bliar. Still, if he could be used as a puppet to the cronies, then the would be better than suffering another Labour term. Clarke is the most Human of the of teh lot of them, but still has been round long enough to know the score in politics...which would be very much needed for a strong leader.
Old 06 October 2005, 12:48 PM
Karl 227
BANNED

Anyway, at least you lot have a PM at the moment, over here Schröder and Merkel are having another "chat" today
Old 06 October 2005, 12:49 PM
Dracoro
Scooby Regular

I see there's more than one PSLewis! scary stuff
Old 06 October 2005, 01:05 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

2 points here .....

Who the fooook are the other 2 pslewis's??

AND

No-one cares as the Tories are unelectable ............ and long may it remain that way

Pete
Old 06 October 2005, 01:05 PM
drumsterphil
Scooby Regular

If the Tories choose anyone other than Clarke it will be a big mistake. To choose any other leader may appeal to Tory members but it's not about that, it's about appealing to the electorate at large.

None of the other contenders are what I would consider political heavyweights with the experience or charisma to carry the job off; they're the same league as IDS - and that did the Tory party a lot of good, didn't it?!

I think the appointment of Clarke would scare the **** out of labour; the Tory party just need to look at the wider picture of what appeals to the electorate and elect a known proposition. Once they're in, then great they can do what they like, but they've got to get in first - it won't happen if they don't choose Clarke.
Old 06 October 2005, 01:10 PM
TelBoy
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

For EXACTLY the reasons you're highlighting, Phil, Clarke is the WRONG man. Muddled European policies, muddled Sterling policies, physically old and a scruffbag.

Yes he blusters well, but i just don't see your average middle of the road voter seeing him as the answer, even with all the makeovers in the world. I could be wrong, but i honestly believe that grooming Cameron is our best hope.
Old 06 October 2005, 01:47 PM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

Clarke is one of the very, very few politicians that will give a half honest answer to a question. IMHO that makes him very attractive to the public who are sick and tired of politicians avoiding the issue or admitting anything could be amiss. Agree though that he could do with some new shoes
Old 06 October 2005, 01:51 PM
warrenm2
Scooby Regular

Clarkes view on Europe mean he'll do badly with the party, plus he's a link to the old Thatcher era from which some people are trying to move on. He didnt do a very good job in education (allowing lefties to comprise the national cirriculum for example), and hes too much old school (plus hes a Bildeburger). DD on the other hand, is fresh to the public, is very effective as a "do-er" admit his speech wasnt wonderful, but is a successful bloke in business, and advocates freer markets and lower taxes. DC is too young and inexperienced, and has some centralist views - wants to be the new TB (because he thinks it'lll get him elected - not because its a good idea in itself) which is a bit worrying.
Old 06 October 2005, 02:26 PM
Petem95
Scooby Regular

I reckon Liam Foxx would be a good bet for Tory leader (my local MP!)

Doesnt really make a difference though really as Im sure most of the law-abiding, none-scrounging citizens in the UK will be voting Tory as its the best chance of getting BLiar and "crash" Gordon out of a power, and then hopefully the Tories will be able to start repairing some of the damage done (however theres no going back on a lot of the NL f-ups, such as removing 4billion from company pensions, openning the flood gates to welfare-milking immigrants and attacking Iraq)
Old 06 October 2005, 03:50 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Too early to say but I think Fox or Clarke might do better than people expect.

Les
Old 06 October 2005, 04:35 PM
Flatcapdriver
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by TelBoy
For EXACTLY the reasons you're highlighting, Phil, Clarke is the WRONG man. Muddled European policies, muddled Sterling policies, physically old and a scruffbag.

Yes he blusters well, but i just don't see your average middle of the road voter seeing him as the answer, even with all the makeovers in the world. I could be wrong, but i honestly believe that grooming Cameron is our best hope.
This is where I disagree with you, especially when voter apathy comes into play (yet again) at the next election because I don't believe the Tories will get in so you'd be left with yet another ineffective opposition under Cameron. However, and I'm referring to an effective opposition, which this country desperately needs Clarke is far more politically astute and would carry out that role admirably whilst Cameron gains experience on the front line - hopefully to take over during the next term with solid foundations laid by Clarke.
Old 06 October 2005, 05:15 PM
dsmith
Scooby Regular

They need to break with the past. Many would not vote for clarke purely because he could still be associated with the "old" tory government.

He'll be 70 at the next election and I honestly dont think the country would vote for someone at that age. We (the country) need a young conservative leader who is a viable long term alternative to tb. ken Clarke's time has gone.
Old 06 October 2005, 05:42 PM
Holy Ghost
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

Originally Posted by Karl 227
Anyway, at least you lot have a PM at the moment, over here Schröder and Merkel are having another "chat" today

wot, still? **** me, if ever there was an example of why not to have PR, then this is it. not that the deaf, dumb & ginger libdems will take any notice ... fortunately.

Quick Reply: Next Conservative leader