Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

George Best In ICU Again!

Search this Thread

Old 03 October 2005, 02:32 PM
Patt@firstime
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy George Best In ICU Again!

George Best in intensive care in Cromwell Hospital, London again...
Old 03 October 2005, 02:36 PM
Chip Sengravy
BANNED

He's a fool to himself. No doubt he'll get a new [insert name of vital organ here ] at the drop of a hat, while other less fortunates have to wait.
Old 03 October 2005, 02:37 PM
Bald Speed Racing
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Patt@firstime
Oh well, $hit happens if he's been drinking again its his own fault. How many times has he been told
Old 03 October 2005, 02:41 PM
LUCKO
Scooby Regular

he is an idiot if it's due to drink (again)

why do these pubs serve him?
Old 03 October 2005, 02:45 PM
Drunken Bungle Whore
Scooby Regular

Anyone ever lived with/ worked with/ dealt with alcoholics? It's an illness and rational thought doesn't always play a large part in the decision making process. Watching someone self destruct isn't pleasant.

We all do stuff that puts our lives in danger - smoking, getting drunk, driving too fast...... Life is a series of choices we all have to live with the consequences of those choices.

"Never judge a man until you have walked a mile in his moccasins (sp)"

I hope he makes it - my thoughts are really with his family who must be going through hell again.
Old 03 October 2005, 02:46 PM
davegtt
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by LUCKO

Because he pays their wages
Bald Speed Racing
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by LUCKO

hes probably got his own bar in his house..............one more for the road hic cup

Trending Topics

New_scooby_04

Originally Posted by Patt@firstime
It's sad his family (not to mention very sad for the family of the donor) but apart from highlighting just how serious and wasteful alcoholism is, I can't help but wonder sometimes whether society gives to much time and attention to those who've obtained fame and fortune only to squander any talent they night have once had on booze and/or drugs.... I guess the media love a fallen hero story, but still....

I hope he doesn't get another liver, as callous as it sounds, he was given a second chance and blew it. Time for the more deserving to benefit.

NS04
Old 03 October 2005, 02:50 PM
Drunken Bungle Whore
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by New_scooby_04
I hope he doesn't get another liver, as callous as it sounds, he was given a second chance and blew it. Time for the more deserving to benefit.

NS04
Toughie - but you can look at the choice from one of two directions:

1. George Best is your father/ brother/ lover and you desperately don't want him to die

2. You are the family of the organ donor.

Life just isn't that black and white.....
Old 03 October 2005, 02:55 PM
Cider boy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Drunken Bungle *****
Anyone ever lived with/ worked with/ dealt with alcoholics?
Yes, very much.

I´d love him to meet the family of the poor sod who gave him a second chance to life with a transplant, to which he has basically stuck two fingers up at and carried on as before.

I´m afraid if a liver transplant isn´t enough to shake your **** into doing something about your alcoholism then nothing is, and the only outcome is the sadly inevitable one.

There are people who are too weak to ever be able to recover from the grog, and to give them a new liver is an insult to the people who need one for non self-inflicted needs.
Old 03 October 2005, 03:01 PM
New_scooby_04

Originally Posted by Drunken Bungle *****
Toughie - but you can look at the choice from one of two directions:

1. George Best is your father/ brother/ lover and you desperately don't want him to die

2. You are the family of the organ donor.

Life just isn't that black and white.....
Not really,

1. George Best has proven that he will not respect and take advantage of an sacred gift and opportunity that has been handed to him -a gift that some much more clinically deserving people will never get! Even the family must acknowedge and be grateful that he was VERY lucky to have got the first donor and cannot reasonably ask that he gets another.

IMHO this should be a one strike and you're out arrangement, or what possible incentive is there for people to change? It can't be a revolving door between the pub and the hospital.

2. The family of the organ donor will want the precious organ of their departed loved one to go to someone who deserves it and someone who it will help for the long run. You give an organ in the hope of saving a life, not perpetuating an addiction.

Life isn't black and white, but from a moral perspective, I'd argue that this is about as dark grey as it gets!

NS04

Last edited by New_scooby_04; 03 October 2005 at 03:05 PM.
Old 03 October 2005, 03:19 PM
Dick Cheese
Scooby Regular

He'd be better off dead to be honest.

I'm sick of him popping up every few months getting another chance to live, another round of appearances on chat shows, another story about how he's given it up for good again, followed by another "Football Legend Best ill" headline. I really don't care what he's achieved in his sporting career, he's shown himself to be a complete ******* now.
Old 03 October 2005, 03:25 PM
Bald Speed Racing
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Dick Cheese

I'm sick of him popping up every few months getting another chance to live, another round of appearances on chat shows, another story about how he's given it up for good again, followed by another "Football Legend Best ill" headline. I really don't care what he's achieved in his sporting career, he's shown himself to be a complete ******* now.
Well said mate to true
Old 03 October 2005, 03:26 PM
Dieseldog
Scooby Regular

I'd think twice about carrying a donor card if I thought my gift would be wasted. I appreciate alcoholism is a disease and I'm sure Best would rather not be in the predicament he's in, but resources are limited, and I think there are probably more deserving causes
Old 03 October 2005, 03:32 PM
farmer1
Scooby Regular

Would his legacy of been so great, would he still be remembered as fondly, if he didnt have an alcohol problem?
Old 03 October 2005, 03:37 PM
SD
Scooby Regular

New_Scooby_04 hits the nail right between the eyes. At the end of the day, and given the choice of giving a new liver to George the drunkard and little Tommy, 9, from Dudley (never done a bad thing in his life etc ) which would you choose? George has had his chance and he's shown himself to not give a ****.

Simon.
Old 03 October 2005, 03:39 PM
New_scooby_04

Originally Posted by farmer1
Would his legacy of been so great, would he still be remembered as fondly, if he didnt have an alcohol problem?
It's a valid point. In cases like this, are people remembered for what they "could have been" as much as "what they were"?

Is squandered potential, more salient, more poignant somehow, does it resonate with the masses more than realised potential, or is it simply more amenable to the celebrity media circus?

NS04
Old 03 October 2005, 05:06 PM
rr_ww
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Dick Cheese

Yup
Old 03 October 2005, 05:07 PM
fast bloke
Scooby Regular

he couldn't have knackered the new liver that quickly - it take years of effort - must be something else that has in ill
Old 03 October 2005, 05:25 PM
STi wanna Subaru
Scooby Regular

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/4304964.stm

an infection.

He's no saint but I'm sure a lot of people on here are less than perfect.
Old 03 October 2005, 05:27 PM
Chip
Scooby Regular

Alcoholism is an addiction, an illness that is very hard to overcome. It's all to easy to slate him for what he's done you have to realise that it is an illness.

Chip
Old 03 October 2005, 05:29 PM
Gastro
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Chip Sengravy
He's a fool to himself. No doubt he'll get a new [insert name of vital organ here ] at the drop of a hat, while other less fortunates have to wait.
Christ hes in ICU because of sepsis related to the drugs hes taking to stop him rejecting the liver......... its got absolutely nothing to do with him drinking !

Gastro
Old 03 October 2005, 05:32 PM
Chip Sengravy
BANNED

Hey, dont expect me to base my ill informed opinions on facts!

FFS
Old 03 October 2005, 05:50 PM
mart360
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Gastro
Christ hes in ICU because of sepsis related to the drugs hes taking to stop him rejecting the liver......... its got absolutely nothing to do with him drinking !

Gastro

as if!!

the question is would he be where he is now if he hadnt started drinking again...

M
Old 03 October 2005, 06:50 PM
rr_ww
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Gastro

Gastro

Thats what his Manager said.

Funnily enough I don't believe him!
Old 03 October 2005, 06:53 PM
M444GY
Former Sponsor

Location: MSOCs tyre and ROTA wheel dealer .Ruisliptyres@gmail.com

doods a f*ckin idiot , he was told not to drink because it would kill him , looks like hes on his way to the pub in the sky!
Old 03 October 2005, 07:08 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Its an illness, why does that sound like an excuse like fat people are fat because of their glands, he's and alcy yes and I have a certain ammount of sympathy for anyone with a problem but his situation was of his own making, to be honest, if I had a family member on a transplant list I would be very upset seeing good organs go to those with self inflicted 'illness' whilst those who suffer through no fault of their own have to wait.

Why is it these days nobody want to take responsibility for their own actions, you trip up, why not claim against the council, somebody nudges the back of your car, why not claim 5 grand regardless of whether you were injured, abuse your body for years and then claim it isnt your fault, its an illness.

He had everything anf f*cked it up with booze, not a good message is it, drink yourself stupid for forty years but dont worry some poor sod will donate you a nice healthy liver so you can carry on, being a liver going into George Best must be like being on a suicide mission.

And that Kate Moss can f*ck off as well, millions in the bank, everything to live for and feels like she has to shove Coke up her nose like its going out of fashion, and he f*cking ******** useless **** of a boyfreind, famous for being hammered, stoned and going out with Kate Moss, winner of the 2005 'Most likely to be found dead in his own vomit award', oh and he was in a band or something as well, the Livertines, er Libertines in case you forgot, reasonable band who are conderably less famous than their ex frontman's habit.

If that's fame and fortune, you can keep it.
Old 03 October 2005, 07:13 PM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

Problem was kidney infection. Now getting better after antibiotic treatment.

Source - his doctor speaking on beeb.
Old 03 October 2005, 07:34 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by New_scooby_04
It's a valid point. In cases like this, are people remembered for what they "could have been" as much as "what they were"?

Is squandered potential, more salient, more poignant somehow, does it resonate with the masses more than realised potential, or is it simply more amenable to the celebrity media circus?

NS04

Indeed in his day it was de rigour..( sp) for footballers to be heavy drinker all aided and abetted by the media. And once to old most o them opened pubs - unfortunatly this chap was the wrong side of the bar..!

no excusing him..!!!!! - I kinda o hope this is the end of him tho............i have a friend also an alchi ( hopefully going to be sorted pyschologically right now)...
but as her partner says if your only aim is too blot out existence what is the point in being alive.....
Old 03 October 2005, 07:35 PM
drumsterphil
Scooby Regular

Call me a pessimist but his doctor is hardly liable to say anything else for fear of jeopardising future organ donations due to people being afraid that their loved one's organs will be used in someone like George Best.

Here lies George Best - first-rate footballer, first-rate ****-up.

Quick Reply: George Best In ICU Again!