Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

MOT/DLNI and Insurance changes.

Search this Thread

Old 02 October 2005, 11:15 AM
ustolemyname??stevieturbo
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MOT/DLNI and Insurance changes.

Not sure if any of this has cropped up before, as I dont bother with Snet anymore, but thought this should be brought to the attention of as many people as possible. Ive copied and pasted some to save typing.

There were new laws passed recently about insurance.

Surprised this hasnt come up. I thought I heard it on the news the other day.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/4295834.stm

Basically, if you own a car, or its registered in your name, it must be insured, or else you will be fined. The fact a car isnt on the road, and doesnt require 3rd party road risks as required by law, doesnt seem to have caught their attention.

Yet another law passed, to extort more money from motorists.

The government need to wise up. Motorists virtually fund the running of the entire country. Its about time they fought back. How is another matter.

But what this post is about. I'll copy and paste it from the Forum where I seen it.

Not sure if anybody here closely follows the current regulations and DVLA process, but there is a new juggernaut of legislation being processed as we speak that will in due course make it almost impossible to modify vehicles, swap engines, modify chassis/body shell etc, without going through some very tough re-registation processes. Of course, these very regulations have actually been in place for several years now, but the DVLA is starting to get real serious, and wants to basically close all the loopholes up pretty soon.

It's pretty heavy reading, but if you want to see exactly what they have planned have a look here. It's linked to the NSRA site but is on the main DVLA site if you can find it:

http://www.nsra.org.uk/downloads/Sum...ept%202005.pdf

The NSRA are in heavy discussion with DVLA to try and agree on some more lenient rules for 'proper' car modifiers, as most of the rules are supposedly being brought in to stop car thefts and 'ringing' of stolen cars. Sure looks like Big Brother just wants to stop a guy having fun though.

Basically speaking, no more chassis or bodyshell mods, no axle swapping. No re-engineering of old sports cars into modern, well handling, well performing rocket ships.

More information about the devious coniving that DVLA has been doing behind closed doors.

http://www.nsra.org.uk/legislation.htm