Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

New Labour's answer to dissent

Search this Thread

Old 28 September 2005, 10:43 PM
Adrian F
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry New Labour's answer to dissent

I couldn’t believe the BBC news tonight when I saw the Labour party had stewards physically remove an 82 year old man who called Jack Straw a liar from the conference room as well as throwing out (literally) a man who questioned their treatment of the 82 year old!

Then the Police didn’t arrest any body for assaulting the 82 year old instead they held HIM for 4 HOURS under anti terrorism laws!

They want us to trust them with stricter laws and ID cards. This is disgraceful and maybe the USA should invade here next to restore a proper democracy where people can question the government with out being assaulted and detained by the Police.

Then they apologise as if that will explain away the treatment. It was just spin to hide a PR mistake but doesn’t change the attitude they have to dissent or the way they use laws to oppress political objections.

Makes you think of a Police state.
Old 28 September 2005, 10:53 PM
LegacySTi
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Adrian F
I couldn’t believe the BBC news tonight when I saw the Labour party had stewards physically remove an 82 year old man who called Jack Straw a liar from the conference room as well as throwing out (literally) a man who questioned their treatment of the 82 year old!

Then the Police didn’t arrest any body for assaulting the 82 year old instead they held HIM for 4 HOURS under anti terrorism laws!

They want us to trust them with stricter laws and ID cards. This is disgraceful and maybe the USA should invade here next to restore a proper democracy where people can question the government with out being assaulted and detained by the Police.

Then they apologise as if that will explain away the treatment. It was just spin to hide a PR mistake but doesn’t change the attitude they have to dissent or the way they use laws to oppress political objections.

Makes you think of a Police state.
The 82 year old as hiding behind his age for not to get removed. He left peacefully but younger chap who WAS with the older chap was physically removed as was asked to leave over three times. Well resonable!!!!
Old 28 September 2005, 11:06 PM
unclebuck
Scooby Regular

When the mask slips you see the *real* intent behind all the gloss and smiley grins.
Old 28 September 2005, 11:15 PM
ChrisB

See the action for yourself:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/4291388.stm#

Video link on the right column.
Old 29 September 2005, 06:39 AM
r32
Scooby Regular

Reminds me of a party in another European country in the 1930's ... its very similar. The Emperors new clothes, this guy obviously couldnt see them!
Old 29 September 2005, 07:14 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

It has always been NL policy to eject anyone who shows any kind of dissent with the Party Cabal. They were caught out well and truly today. Expect as time goes by that will extend to anyone at any time or place! I personally find it quite frightening.

Les
Old 29 September 2005, 08:03 AM
Kyl3cook
Scooby Regular

It's absolutely disgusting! How they can do this to an 82 year old who is quite obviously telling the truth...what about freedom of speech? I bet the chavs on the front row were cheering and throwing stuff at him, right before they get back to praising the labour party on their methods of removing decent people from society.

I agree with the first post, perhaps an invasion by the USA would be the best thing...hell, I'd even join in!

Trending Topics

Old 29 September 2005, 08:16 AM
mad_dr
Scooby Regular

PSLewis take note - I hope NL never give you cause to speak out against them! Considering how they treated that 82 year old - at your age, I dread to think how they'd treat you. Taser perhaps?
Old 29 September 2005, 08:29 AM
Reality
BANNED

He'll be starting on the Jews & the Gays next.

Welcome to **** Britain.

As for the Police wanting more powers - they shoot dead an innocent Brazillian and "hold" an 82 year old in the name of the War against Terror.

A sad day for Britain
Old 29 September 2005, 09:08 AM
the moose
Scooby Regular

Tosh. The same would happen at any political conference - Liberals, Labour, Conservative.

The guy was 82 ..... and? Age is irrelevant in this case, he was heckling, and whilst that's all fine at the hustings, it's not acceptable at a party conference.
Old 29 September 2005, 09:16 AM
Reality
BANNED

Originally Posted by the moose
Tosh. The same would happen at any political conference - Liberals, Labour, Conservative.

The guy was 82 ..... and? Age is irrelevant in this case, he was heckling, and whilst that's all fine at the hustings, it's not acceptable at a party conference.
Even the Labour Party have admitted he shouldn't have been ejected !

And as for being held for 4 hours under the new Anti-terror laws - That is completely unacceptable. In what way was he a threat to national security - was there semtex in his zimmer frame or did he look Brazillian ?
Old 29 September 2005, 09:46 AM
rik1471
Scooby Regular

It was appalling the force used. I'm disgusted.
Old 29 September 2005, 09:50 AM
Butty
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Rather ironic that Mr. Wolfgang had escaped **** Germany in the 1930's to come to a democratic country.
I bet this is deja vu for him.
Old 29 September 2005, 09:59 AM
farmer1
Scooby Regular

I look forward to the next 50ish years of my life in this country with delight. Seems the mask has slipped and shows you that in real essence the politicions you elect have sod all influence unless it backs up their opinions.

Reminds me of a local news story the other day where labour wanted to introduce parking charges. There was a vote and over 500(majority of those who voted) people from the 2000 populus village voted against. However they still went a head and the labour politician said that as only 500 had voted against out of a 2000 populus it was not a majority.

Grrrr makes my blood boil.
Old 29 September 2005, 10:20 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

What is a conference for if not to express ideas from party members. To hustle an old man like that and then to detain him under the Terrorist Act purely because he wanted to say what he felt about Party policies is a disgusting and totally undemocratic way to behave.

Les
Old 29 September 2005, 10:22 AM
rik1471
Scooby Regular

pslewis - I'm interested to hear your opinion on the way this was handled?
Old 29 September 2005, 10:24 AM
dsmith
Scooby Regular

Tony on BBC this AM ..."Look, You know, I wasnt even there"

Ahhh right so Mr Blair, anything done by your party, your government, your police force, your armed forces is not your fault unless you personally were there at the time.

Explains an awful lot about Labours attitude to ministerial responsibility.
Old 29 September 2005, 12:06 PM
jjones
Scooby Regular

disgraceful.

heckling or not you don't treat oaps like that. have some ****ing respect.
Old 29 September 2005, 12:22 PM
Scooby Roo
Scooby Regular

He was also refused re-entry under Article 6 of the new Terrorism Act [I think this is the anti critisism clause].

WTF, even though heckling at a Party Conference is a no no they used unresonable force to eject the man from the centre. Although age is a concern even if the guy was in his youth it would still be unreasonable force. Bouncers are likely to come in for stick by using such force so how do Labour think they can. Appaulled.

Roo
Old 29 September 2005, 12:28 PM
Flatcapdriver
Scooby Regular

Well, Tony laughingly suggested that the security people were volunteers and as he wasn't there it wasn't his problem even if they were overly enthusiastic, so it will be interesting to see how the Scoobynetters who lambasted Kate Moss last week for cocaine abuse will react to claims in the Evenining Standard (if true) about the use of cocaine during many of the pollies parties that have been going on this week.
Old 29 September 2005, 12:46 PM
Scooby Roo
Scooby Regular

Wink

Originally Posted by Flatcapdriver
Well, Tony laughingly suggested that the security people were volunteers and as he wasn't there it wasn't his problem even if they were overly enthusiastic, so it will be interesting to see how the Scoobynetters who lambasted Kate Moss last week for cocaine abuse will react to claims in the Evenining Standard (if true) about the use of cocaine during many of the pollies parties that have been going on this week.

They'll excuse that with the fact it boost local economies and throw a target at it

But then again you need something to keep you awake

Roo [who does not condone drug abuse]
Old 29 September 2005, 12:46 PM
mart360
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by the moose

what planet are you on.......

dont you see the slow hand claps the boo,s and the walkouts by other delagates ...

and if you took off your rose tinted glasses and NL headphones you would see thats all that happens everyday in parliament ...

one day the penny will drop... but by then you will be a pawn / expendible

isnt it funny i drew paralells (i know i cant spell it) to a certain gent back in the 30,s ... sfunny how other people are seeing the same..

M
Old 29 September 2005, 12:52 PM
Vegescoob
Scooby Regular

This has just been covered on the Jeremy Vine Show on BBC Radio 2.
The majority of views sent in were totally disgusted by this, with comments such as "Police State".
There was also an example of someone who had been detained by the Police under anti terrorism laws for "wearing an anti TB teeshirt". I kid you not.
This event has I think, and hope, really entered the public consciousness, never to be forgotten.
For NL dissent must be crushed. Even from within their own ranks.
It seems that the Police are now their enforcers.
To think that some of us here have been ridiculed for our views about ID cards, loss of civil liberties etc.
The reality behind NL is becoming more public by the day.
Old 29 September 2005, 01:03 PM
SJ_Skyline
Scooby Senior

Wink

PSL won't reply - he's had a gagging order placed on him since he was ejected from the conference yesterday
Old 29 September 2005, 01:12 PM
ozzy
Scooby Regular

Looks like NL don't just share the colours of the old communist parties they're employing the old tactics too.
Old 29 September 2005, 01:21 PM
Ted Maul
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by rik1471
pslewis - I'm interested to hear your opinion on the way this was handled?
Why? do you expect a reasoned response from the loon??
Old 29 September 2005, 01:39 PM
TopBanana
Scooby Regular

It's like living in Soviet Russia!
Old 29 September 2005, 02:04 PM
TopBanana
Scooby Regular

... only with more alcoholism
Old 29 September 2005, 03:07 PM
hedgehog
Scooby Regular

Actually alcoholism was a serious problem in the USSR and Stalin did try to legislate against it but, basically, failed. I think he also realised that it was better for the peasants to be drunk and fighting each other than for them to be sober, organised and fighting against him.

The one thing about the control systems currently being put in place is that they are more powerful than those available to Stalin with the ability to electronically track you and your car for example.

Many people on here, myself included, have been called paranoid for documenting what the current administration have openly said they are going to do. Many still can't see how significant it is that people who openly discuss what the government have openly documented they are going to do are refered to as paranoid. What must the stuff they haven't told us about be like?

Hitler always said it was better to tell a big lie rather than a small one because people examined the small ones in detail while they couldn't get to grips with the big ones. What happened to this old chap was an example of the current administration getting caught out by one of the small lies but we must all remember that the big lies are still there, it is just that the people who discuss them (because most of the information about them is, as Hitler encouraged, openly available) are currently referred to as paranoid.
Old 29 September 2005, 03:51 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
Angry

For NL dissent must be crushed. Even from within their own ranks.
It seems that the Police are now their enforcers.
To think that some of us here have been ridiculed for our views about ID cards, loss of civil liberties etc.
The reality behind NL is becoming more public by the day.
Hate to say "Told you so,", but I've been convinced for a long time, and saying it on here for three years: the police are now nothing more than a set of bully-boys, enforcers, and auxilliary tax-gatherers for whichever governemnt will pay them.

But they STILL stand up and say "Don't blame us, we're only following orders."

That cut no ice in 1945, and it cuts none now

The treatment of the old man yesterday disgusted me. I'm sorry to say, however, it DIDN'T surprise me, and that's the saddest thing of all!

Alcazar

Quick Reply: New Labour's answer to dissent