Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Recording a lecture to MiniDisc - What mic to use?

Search this Thread

Old 28 September 2005, 12:36 AM
scoobyster
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Recording a lecture to MiniDisc - What mic to use?

Hi All

As I've injured my shoulder and can't write properly for a while, I'm going to need to record my uni lectures and type them up later. I have an old Sony MD recorder that I could use for this.

What sort of microphone would I need? The recorder will be some distance from the lecturer, perhaps up to 15m but generally under 10m as they're only small classes. Also the mic will be on my desk and probably obscured from line of sight/sound by the people in front of me.

I will probably transfer the audio onto my PC for archiving (to save buying a hundred MDs), it might be a bit of a pain to have to do this in real time but I guess I can be typing them up at the same time anyway.

Alternatively, should I use this as an excuse to buy a new gadget? IIRC some iPod-alikes have voice record features but I'd still have the problem with the mic.

Any suggestions?

Ben
Old 28 September 2005, 12:48 AM
GC8
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mini Discs are 85p each at Richer Sounds. This should do the job; youll need a mic like this whatever you record with..... (If your MD can record in mono, then youll be able to double your recording time without losing clarity/quality).

Simon
Old 28 September 2005, 09:44 AM
Brendan Hughes
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Just used our MD to record a conference, with a tiny little Aiwa lapel mike lying on the desk - works well, but I can't comment on distance as everyone had desk mikes and their voices came from the speakers in the ceiling.

If you have 4x play you can get 4-5hrs of talking on each disk with no major loss in quality.

Nice advantage of MDs is the T-mark, so you just stab it when the lecture stops and the questions start, and you can jump btwn sections much easier.