Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry SPEED CAMERAS

Whats the best speed camera detector to buy before i get banned
Old 26 September 2005, 08:40 PM
Varboy
Scooby Regular

I have a Bel 550, saved my **** numerous times.

TBH there are so many out there now, they are all pretty good.

1 rule the more you pay, the more you get
Old 27 September 2005, 12:30 AM
Sandman
Scooby Regular

Go for a GPS based system, ie Road Angel, more accurate, and backed up ith a laser diffuser,cos once a Hand Held radar gun hits you and your detector tells you its too late,i have had a few detectors over the years including Whistlers,Snoopers and Bels,too many false alarms although admittedly over the years they have got less.go for a GPS
Hope it helps
Sandman.
Old 27 September 2005, 09:14 AM
SirFozzalot
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Went for the Origin B² myself. Wouldn't be without it now!
Old 27 September 2005, 09:18 AM
T20Driver
Scooby Regular

I use a DriveSmart ... http://www.drive-smart.co.uk/ ... not very sexy, but aftersales support is outstanding, the unit is reliable and there are free camera locations DB and unit software upgrades for life. Furthermore, they have a very active Forum (top right of homepage) where owners are encouraged to provide feedback to help improve the units functionality and accuracy of the camera locations DB.
Old 27 September 2005, 09:19 AM
Daz34
Scooby Regular

Are you more dangerous than Dangerous Dave?
Old 27 September 2005, 09:25 AM
Nevetas
Scooby Regular

I had origin b2 in the scoob, went for the new road angel compact in the porker.

Both work, but the Origin b2 was the better unit.

Trending Topics

Old 27 September 2005, 09:36 AM
IN THE STICKS
Scooby Regular

Location: I'm still around in deepest Essex, now with a Fiesta ST-2

Road Angel II , Have a look on ebay as they have 'refurbished' units for about £280 ish (6 months warranty etc)
Old 27 September 2005, 01:22 PM
New_scooby_04

Originally Posted by DANGEROUS DAVY
If you want to detect fixed speed cameras then a GPS one, no question. Origin b2 and Road Angel 2 are both perfectly good. The RA now comes in compact form and costs only £200.

When it comes to detecting hand held devices, it's all a bit hit and miss cause even the units that have lazer detection should really bleep "your nicked" rather than a warning, as your speed can be acquired and logged before you'd get a chance to react. A Lazer diffuser would do the job and they can be made to work in conjunction with the RA and Origin devices IIRC. BUT -as far as I know- anything that interfers with a Law enforcement officer's attempts to measure your speed is illegal.

You could just try not going everywhere at warp 9!

NS04
Old 27 September 2005, 01:28 PM
SJ_Skyline
Scooby Senior

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Had a Bel550 for about 4 years, it finally packed up on me. Replaced it with a TomTom 300 and the speed camera pack
Old 27 September 2005, 03:53 PM
New_scooby_04

Originally Posted by Drivesmart
I would forget any RA products as the functionality is very poor coupled to a laser detection system that does not work and you are contributing to the extensive marketing budget that allows them to rob £40-£50 a year for a database that should really be free.
£280 will work out at £400+ £199 will work out to £350.00+ for a few years of database updates and almost forgot the unit will be out of date in 8 months time so you will have to upgrade!
Old technology repackaged and new subscription of £40 a year.
The new technology(Drivesmart)is fully user programmable and subscription free coupled to fully software upgradable technology that has the most advanced features of anything on the market.
We have the most accurate and uptodate database as well and its totally free of charge for life!
And its only £299!
Check out our forum for more info and details:http://www.drive-smart.co.uk/forum/
You are supposed to pay to advertise on here!

As an owner of RA2 I can confirm that its functionality is NOT very poor. Its easy to use and very effective. The fallability of the lazer detection system is well documented, and Blackspot even admit to its limitations in the manual!

You also don't need to update the device when a newer version comes out. A RA1 will still be perfectly adequate and you can pck them up for peanuts these days. Free subscription sounds nice, but where is the evidence that you have the best database? Its also worth baring in mind that RA initially included a lifetime subscription fee option and then retracted it in favour of a 3 year max subscription with the RA2. Will you be doing the same?

NS04

Last edited by New_scooby_04; 27 September 2005 at 03:57 PM.
Old 27 September 2005, 04:37 PM
DANGEROUS DAVY
Scooby Regular

Wink

Originally Posted by Daz34
Are you more dangerous than Dangerous Dave?
who is dangerous dave sounds like my twin
Old 27 September 2005, 05:02 PM
Daz34
Scooby Regular

who is dangerous dave sounds like my twin
He must be your happy go lucky brother then
Old 27 September 2005, 05:03 PM
Abdabz
Scooby Regular

Location: Tellins, Home of Super Leagues finest, and where a "split" is not all it seems.
Exclamation

Try using your eyes and learning the ability to maintain a legal speed would be the cheapest way Remember your driving lessons?

If ya cant manage that then why ya driving?

I suppose you might be one of a tiny minority who have been caught 3 times at 31 in a 30 and have had 3 points each time, in which case my heart goes out to you as thats just dam unlucky.
Old 27 September 2005, 06:55 PM
richs2891
Scooby Regular

Emm Nice blatant advertising Drivesmart !
Personally hate companies who try to sell their products by pointing out deficiencies in other people products. Do you have any evidence to support you claim of a more accurate database? Now where is that report to moderator button!

Richard
Old 27 September 2005, 09:30 PM
ChrisB

Drivesmart, please secure your Authorised Advertiser status with the Webmaster before, erm, advertising.

Thanks,

Chris.
Old 28 September 2005, 10:46 AM
Ray_li
Scooby Regular

another one for Origin B2
Old 28 September 2005, 10:57 AM
TelBoy
Scooby Regular

Bel550, Morpheous Geodesy and garage door opener
Old 28 September 2005, 02:46 PM
T20Driver
Scooby Regular

ChrisB and rsarjantson ... if I have understood your comments correctly, you think I have something to do with Drivesmart. I can assure you I have absolutely none and as such am not responsible for the content of their website or their marketing material. I was simply responding to the question of the thread question "Whats the best speed camera detector to buy before i get banned" ... My answer is a Drivesmart for all the reasons I stated. Others will have other opinions and that is fine, but I hope my response clears up your concerns.
Old 28 September 2005, 08:17 PM
DANGEROUS DAVY
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Abdabz
Try using your eyes and learning the ability to maintain a legal speed would be the cheapest way Remember your driving lessons?

If ya cant manage that then why ya driving?

I suppose you might be one of a tiny minority who have been caught 3 times at 31 in a 30 and have had 3 points each time, in which case my heart goes out to you as thats just dam unlucky.
Ever drove a slow scooby, better off with a nissan
Old 28 September 2005, 08:35 PM
hedgehog
Scooby Regular

There is a slight problem with many of these systems. Firstly the police are logging the use of laser jammers on the PNC. If your car causes an error on the laser then your vehicle is logged. There have been a few people arrested, though none charged that i know of, for using such systems and there is the potential for more trouble there.

Laser and radar detectors are going to be made illegal. Now if you want protection in the mean time then buy one by all means, but once they are made illegal it is likely there will be a big clampdown and a lot of "show trials" with perhaps a night of the long knives for laser jammer users as well.

The administration want you using GPS based detectors so that they can sell their GPS based speed control system, ISA, to you on the basis that it is similar to what you already have. Therefore GPS based systems will remain legal for a very long time and it will not be long before you get the chance to take the government up on their own black box to charge you for road use and automatially control the speed of your car and your access to the roads.

With this in mind purely GPS based systems seem like the best long term bet, laser jammers seem very dodgy indeed and detectors have a very limited shelf life indeed under the jackboot of the current administration.