Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Dodgy Car Salesman

Search this Thread

Old 23 September 2005, 08:57 AM
Abdabz
Scooby Regular

Location: Tellins, Home of Super Leagues finest, and where a "split" is not all it seems.
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red face Dodgy Car Salesman

As Im due to start a new job soon which involves 100mile per day driving I have decided to buy a second "runabout" car for about £1500, thus keepin the miles of the scooby...

Yesterday I viewed two cars and was flung into a world of scum, dodginess and fear.

The first car I went to view was a little Daewoo Matiz. I went to a local garage and was shown around it, which didnt take long and was then given the keys and allowed to take it solo for a spin (as long as I left the scooby keys)... Anyway it was apparant in no time that the cat was knackered (I know the noise from past experience ). When I got back I told the chap that the cat was gone. He said if they put a new 12month ticket on it that would mean it was OK... errrr yeah right OK mate.... "tell ya what I'll price up a new cat and come back to ya ...
At least he didnt deny the cat was pooped but then offered to give me a dodgy ticket

Then I went to Wigan to view a Micra... Private sale, asian dude comes out and shows the car which looked immaculate. I noticed no tax disc/holder and asked where it was "it no no tax, i tax it for you". I thought hmm ok...
I asked for a test drive, he insists on taking it off his estate before I can drive it and as he does I notice the speedo isnt moving HELLO , so I quietly watch as the miles dont move on the dash HELLO ...
Me "Whats wrong with the speedo fella"
Him "It work last time it must be fuse"
Me "Take me back chief, I've seen enough"
Once home...
Me "Has it got FSH?"
Him "No - no history - friends change oil and things I bin receipts"
Me "How long left on the ticket"
Him "8-9 months I dont know I will have to find it, dont know where it is"...

Abdabz outta there....

Viewing one more today... God knows if this one's dodgy I'm gonna spark the n0b...
Old 23 September 2005, 09:24 AM
davegtt
Scooby Senior

LOL.... finding a good car for that price is always hard. you'll find all sorts of problems with almost every car and seller. its finding you you trust enough to buy from good luck. Ive got it coming in a couple of weeks once Ive sold my cougar, budget for our second car is £1000 god only knows what to expect.
Old 23 September 2005, 09:45 AM
Big a1
Scooby Regular

I think buying private is better at this price, plus you can usually get an idea of what you will be met with from the way the ad is written and also the brief conversation when arranging to view.

I agree though it can be a pain in the **** buying cars!!
Old 23 September 2005, 09:53 AM
Abdabz
Scooby Regular

Location: Tellins, Home of Super Leagues finest, and where a "split" is not all it seems.

Cheers, you're right Big a1... The guy Im meeting in Southport this afternoon sounded like a straight up bloke and its a private sale...Wife deceased, her shopping car used a few times a week etc... So here's hoping. I just couldnt believe the first two I experienced and needed to share it!
Old 23 September 2005, 10:02 AM
Crapaud62
Scooby Regular

If buying under a grand it can only be private. Any motor offered by a dealer will be dodgy as there can't be enough profit in it for them. Plenty of genuine bargins if you go private especially if you buy off old people! Sorry if that sounds cruel but if they just want rid of car because someone has died/go too old to drive then they won't haggle too much on price.

I picked up a VERY cheap Saab 9000 because the 83 year old owner wanted to change it for something more sporty. Only him driving so he wanted a 2 seater sports car rather than a big barge. Saab had full main dealer service history from new and he'd kept receipts for every penny he had ever spent on the car. I've been running it for 11 months now with no problems and it was a real bargain at £50!!!
Old 23 September 2005, 10:10 AM
davegtt
Scooby Senior

ohhh shopping car = door full of dints and bumper scrapes on each corner

lol bargain Crapaud62 not bad at all. give you £40 for it (its gotta be cheaper that you bought it )