Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

CCTV camera + DVD recorder

Search this Thread

Old 18 September 2005, 11:46 AM
Scooby-doo97
Scooby Regular

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts
Default CCTV camera + DVD recorder

I'm looking at getting a DVD recorder to hook-up to my CCTV camera. I want to record footage at night of my Scoob as the scum around here are just taking the p*ss I'll be using rewritable discs so it doesn't cost me a fortune to record the footage
Just wanting to know, once the footage is recorded, will it play on any DVD player or just the one that it is recorded on?

Thanks in advance
Old 18 September 2005, 12:11 PM
PG
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

depends on the format. ie. DVD-RW or DVD+RW
Old 18 September 2005, 12:27 PM
boomer
Scooby Senior

How about one of these?

mb
Old 18 September 2005, 12:33 PM
Scooby-doo97
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by PG
depends on the format. ie. DVD-RW or DVD+RW
Found this..

DVD+RW is a rewritable format and is compatible with about 79% of all DVD Players and most DVD-ROMs.

DVD-RW is a rewritable format and it is compatible with about 80% of all DVD Players and most DVD-ROMs.

Should I go with DVD-RW? I'm not sure what DVD player my local police station has
Old 18 September 2005, 12:36 PM
Jamo
Cooking on Calor

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

I went a different route with mine, you obviously have a computer at home, I bought a dvr card and software, and a few infa red cameras, cost £250 all in. pm me if you want more info, if your not a million miles away I would help you fit it.

to answer your question, no they would not play in normal dvd players, as when they are in the recorder, they are in a different "state" to when they are useable in any other machine, if they are rw or just r, they wont be useable again once you have finalised them. (when you finalise a disc, it will play in any other machine but you wont be able to re-record on it) thats iirc.

james

Last edited by Jamo; 18 September 2005 at 12:39 PM.
Old 18 September 2005, 12:41 PM
Scooby-doo97
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by boomer
How about one of these?

mb
I did consider one, but couldn't find one with a scart socket?
Old 18 September 2005, 12:48 PM
djuk
Scooby Regular

The other option may be to go for a DVD recorder with a hard drive then if there is a particular bit of footage you really need to burn off to give to someone then just burn it onto a DVD-R disc?

Trending Topics

Old 18 September 2005, 12:57 PM
Scooby-doo97
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by shaggy1973
I went a different route with mine, you obviously have a computer at home, I bought a dvr card and software, and a few infa red cameras, cost £250 all in. pm me if you want more info, if your not a million miles away I would help you fit it.

to answer your question, no they would not play in normal dvd players, as when they are in the recorder, they are in a different "state" to when they are useable in any other machine, if they are rw or just r, they wont be useable again once you have finalised them. (when you finalise a disc, it will play in any other machine but you wont be able to re-record on it) thats iirc.

james
Thanks for the offer James, but I need to stick with the TV

If I did go down the DVD-R disc route, I would have to use a new disc every night which isn't practical. I'm confused on what to do!

djuk- I had a look at few, but they are way too expensive
Old 18 September 2005, 01:10 PM
boomer
Scooby Senior

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Scooby-doo97
I did consider one, but couldn't find one with a scart socket?
The DVRs have a BNC output, which is the same "composite video" that runs down one of the wires in a SCART. Just buy a BNC to SCART cable from somewhere like Maplins and you are sorted.

FWIW, my DVR has a BNC to Phono connector plugged in the back, into which i connect a small LCD TV (via AV in).

Some of the ones at at RF Concepts have Firewire and USB outputs (plus network access) - very nice

mb
Old 18 September 2005, 01:27 PM
Jamo
Cooking on Calor

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

this is the quality of mine at night/day

james
Old 18 September 2005, 02:57 PM
Felix.
Scooby Regular

Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts

Just for info

If it is for security - make sure the system is compatible with your local police's, so they can print the image.

Ensure there is plenty of light at night and that the cam is not too far away. Identification from CCTV is not always very good
Old 18 September 2005, 03:30 PM
Scooby-doo97
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Felix.
Just for info

If it is for security - make sure the system is compatible with your local police's, so they can print the image.

Ensure there is plenty of light at night and that the cam is not too far away. Identification from CCTV is not always very good
Thanks for the help, everyone. I'll do a bit more research and decide which is the best option for me
Old 18 September 2005, 03:55 PM
tarmac terror
Scooby Regular

Just a couple of points which you may already be aware off....

There is some very specific home office guidelines for using CCTV camera kit. Right down to stupid stuff like having to put up highly visible signs to warn said ******* that they may be under surveillance when on your property.

To admit your footage in evidence, the offender must fill a substantial %age of the frame.

I have my properties covered by CCTV - it most probably doesn't comply with HO requirements, but I only want to be able to identify individuals and deal with them - one thing I found very useful - I have audio feeds coming from all the cameras - it's highly illegal to conduct audio surveillance in a public place - but to hell with that, it is useful, I can eavesdrop on anyone outdoors within about 200yds of any of my cameras, when they are talking in a normal conversational voice.

Try to get hold of weatherproof cameras which will operate at less than 0.001 Lux - my cameras are monochrome - unless things have moved on all night coverage will be monochrome anyhow. The mics are built into the camera housing so are wetherproofed too. If you can, hook up an outdoor light either low voltage or on PIR this will greatly help with clarity in the night footage.

I wouldn't bother with cameras on PIRS - by the time the signal activates the recording device or brings it off standby you may have missed anything up to 10 seconds of coverage, there is also a chance they may not activate at all.

Another technique worth using is to buy decoy cameras. Position these in such a way that they are visible and their area of coverage is evident. Plan being that offenders will try to avoid moving into their field of coverage. By doing this they are directed into the field of cover of a more covert camera.

Google "RF Concepts" they have a lot of kit available and offer some sound advice too. I am in no way connected with the company - I can just recommend them as a satisfied regular customer.

I would recommend hard disk recording as opposed to DVD, there are various reasons for this - one significant one is time stamping - you can synch you computer with one of many highly accurate time sources, this puts an accurate date time stamp on the footage, there are others such as virtually unlimited space, ability to use UPS and back up the captured images.

Good luck,
TT
Old 18 September 2005, 06:49 PM
PG
Scooby Regular

James,
I like the look of the system you run. Can you give me details of it all please.
Cheers
Paul
Old 18 September 2005, 08:11 PM
Scooby-doo97
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by tarmac terror
Just a couple of points which you may already be aware off....

There is some very specific home office guidelines for using CCTV camera kit. Right down to stupid stuff like having to put up highly visible signs to warn said ******* that they may be under surveillance when on your property.

To admit your footage in evidence, the offender must fill a substantial %age of the frame.

I have my properties covered by CCTV - it most probably doesn't comply with HO requirements, but I only want to be able to identify individuals and deal with them - one thing I found very useful - I have audio feeds coming from all the cameras - it's highly illegal to conduct audio surveillance in a public place - but to hell with that, it is useful, I can eavesdrop on anyone outdoors within about 200yds of any of my cameras, when they are talking in a normal conversational voice.

Try to get hold of weatherproof cameras which will operate at less than 0.001 Lux - my cameras are monochrome - unless things have moved on all night coverage will be monochrome anyhow. The mics are built into the camera housing so are wetherproofed too. If you can, hook up an outdoor light either low voltage or on PIR this will greatly help with clarity in the night footage.

I wouldn't bother with cameras on PIRS - by the time the signal activates the recording device or brings it off standby you may have missed anything up to 10 seconds of coverage, there is also a chance they may not activate at all.

Another technique worth using is to buy decoy cameras. Position these in such a way that they are visible and their area of coverage is evident. Plan being that offenders will try to avoid moving into their field of coverage. By doing this they are directed into the field of cover of a more covert camera.

Google "RF Concepts" they have a lot of kit available and offer some sound advice too. I am in no way connected with the company - I can just recommend them as a satisfied regular customer.

I would recommend hard disk recording as opposed to DVD, there are various reasons for this - one significant one is time stamping - you can synch you computer with one of many highly accurate time sources, this puts an accurate date time stamp on the footage, there are others such as virtually unlimited space, ability to use UPS and back up the captured images.

Good luck,
TT
I have a full system at my business premises and have never been asked to put up any signs whatsoever. I also have audio feeds on all 8 cameras, including 2 outside, it gets interesting sometimes Thanks for your help though, TT.

shaggy1973 - I wasn't worried about the quality - I have a similar system at my other property, which is all run by computer with 250gb hdd, so I don't have to worry about discs lol
Old 18 September 2005, 08:15 PM
Saltergate
BANNED

Old 18 September 2005, 08:36 PM
minted_aye
Scooby Regular

get yourself a geovision card and fit it to your pc, I use these all the time without problems, just do a search on google. then get yourselve a day/night camera