Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Going back to college at 25?

Search this Thread

Old 17 September 2005, 10:52 PM
16vmarc
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Going back to college at 25?

Right!, im definatly going to pack my job in and the plan was to get a temporary full time job (contradiction!!).

My brother and his girlfriend came round tonight (hes being telling me to pack my job in for weeks!) and said theyd been talking and they'd decided i should go back to college full time.

Before i started my present job the plan was to go to college full time and do a Film Studies course. Then my job came up and it seemed like my calling so i forgot all about it. I was 21 then.

I then had some time off work couple of years back where i spent alot of my time on the pc. I decided i was going to do a night course and a new job during the day as i didnt see any point in staying at a job i hated. I was 23 then. I never did it.

Just recently ive really started thinking and that something needed to be done! Now heres my real dilema! I really enjoy watching films, as you'll see from the posts i make on here, and frequent trips to the pictures etc, so this subject really interests me. Im not sure if after the course has finished though if i could use it to gain employment and it could be a waste of a few years. Which would bring me back to my current situation almost! Kind of the same with the computer course, would either be IT or CAD and i think im more worried about hacking it than gaining employment to be honest. Im constantly having people telling me this is the better way to go though!

Ultimatly though whichever route i take i dont really want to be skint or in debt! Now im 25 i could get a grant but its the realisation that ill be about 30 by the time ive completed any course! I currently have no debts of any kind, finance or mortgage, but doing this will make sure i dont have a mortgage for a long time anyway!

Not sure if im asking for advice or for you guys to decide for me but i suppose im asking for opinions!
Old 17 September 2005, 11:17 PM
Julz1983
Scooby Regular

There's nothing wrong with going back to college at 25, I'm 21 and have done two 10 week computer courses and the ECDL computer course, all 3 courses were done about 4 years ago when i was 17-18, I have done absolutely nothing to use the qualifications I gained, I got married at 19 and had a kid at 19 then moved down here, thats as far as I got, I would love to go back to college to get a course under my belt by next year to go in to a proper job and carry on my qualifications as we are moving back up home next year and I need some form of education to further my job prospects.

If I were you I would do a college course that is going to further a career you want to follow, do it while you can, otherwise you will regret it, I know I am going to jump at the chance as soon as a suitable course comes up for me, plus it's alot harder for me, husband in the army who could go away at any point which leaves me to find child care and probs have to get a job along side a college course, but I would still do it, knowing in the long run I can then go to a career job I have always wanted.
Old 17 September 2005, 11:20 PM
GC8
Scooby Regular

I went to university when I was 27; Film Studies too actually.

Simon
Old 17 September 2005, 11:23 PM
Apparition
Scooby Regular

I did the equivalant to two GCSE's in my mid forties......what a triumphant day that was when the results came in ! (I didn't get the chance when I was 16.)
Yve
Old 17 September 2005, 11:39 PM
Chip Sengravy
BANNED

You should take your welding skills elsewhere, branch out, and get some coding. Then get into a BIG fabricators...look at big contractors like AMEC or Mcalpine, or, as you are a yorkshire lad, try Winders in leeds, they make transformers....and from what I have seen, all MIG work.

If you don't like shopwork, and can stick weld, get out on site...some good money to be made, steel erecting, Piling, heating and vent etc.....

don't take this the wrong way, but I don't think you will ever make a living as a Film critic
Old 17 September 2005, 11:43 PM
MDBinaWagon
Scooby Regular

I'm 35, and start the 2nd year of my degree in 2 weeks.
I sold my house, so I've got no mortgage or debts, but I am living with family again.
However, I have no doubt that it was the best decision I've made for years, and I'm looking forward to the increased workload this year.

Martin.
Old 17 September 2005, 11:45 PM
16vmarc
Scooby Regular

Im afraid welding isnt an option, i really have no interest in it anymore. Manual work just doesnt float my boat and thats why i want out!

Trending Topics

Old 17 September 2005, 11:47 PM
Julz1983
Scooby Regular

I know exactly what you mean, I have no interest in what I used to do, but can't seem to find anything else that takes my interest, theres nothing in our area anyways that I can go in that I would enjoy, thats whay I want to go to college, but I can't find anything there, sometimes I feel like I'm stuck at a dead end.
Old 17 September 2005, 11:47 PM
16vmarc
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Chip Sengravy

don't take this the wrong way, but I don't think you will ever make a living as a Film critic
Youre probably true, wide area though
Old 18 September 2005, 12:38 AM
R1916v
Scooby Regular

One of my mates I worked with went to Uni@28, he's just turned 30 and going into his final year of Computer Science.
Old 18 September 2005, 12:46 AM
ZEN Performance
Former Sponsor

I went back to Uni at 24, and it was good on a number of levels. I was more mature, more interested, knew what I actually wanted, and found learning much much easier than my first stab at Uni when i was 18. I can't comment on your choice of course, but I would say that you should be old enough (ie done enough) to know roughly what you want, and how to acheive it. If you are still wondering about your career prospects, and what actually interests you, then I would suggest waiting a little longer.

You can usually get a deffered entry, and this would give you a chance to visit some universities, get an idea of what and where you want, and use the year to make preperations and save money etc.

Paul
Old 18 September 2005, 12:47 AM
sti-04!!
Scooby Senior

I done my my 4 years as an apprentice as a truck mechanic, got the workshop managers job at 21 because allegedly no one else wanted it now at 25 i am head of projects for one of the worlds biggest engine makers (am pissed so cant spell big words) i heard its all to do with luck. but here thy, i was skint this time last year , now i dont no what to do with my money.
It all comes to us sooner or later
Old 18 September 2005, 12:57 AM
R1916v
Scooby Regular

^^

Agree with some of that, right place right time for some jobs, pity I'm always late :P
Old 18 September 2005, 01:00 AM
Petem95
Scooby Regular

Yep, go for it mate, 25 isnt too old at all!
Old 18 September 2005, 01:04 AM
Little Miss WRX

Cool

Originally Posted by 16vmarc
Im afraid welding isnt an option, i really have no interest in it anymore. Manual work just doesnt float my boat and thats why i want out!
You could easily get a job out here with welding skills. I know the company I am working with at the moment would value the skill.

I am back at college to upgrade my management and OH&S qualifications. I am thinking about taking the plunge with the MBA I have always wanted to do. Good luck.
Old 18 September 2005, 04:54 AM
Simon C
Scooby Regular

I think the saying is your never to old to learn.

I'm thinking of doing a photography course at my local college, the down side is I work shifts so I'd be missing for 3 weeks out of every 7.

I wish I'd gone to uni now rather than when I did at 19, I was too immature then, hence I have no degree, but all the debt. 1 of the friends I made when I was there was 29 when his course started, he graduated at the age of 32.

As long as your sure of the course you want to do, it sounds like you won't regret it. Good luck.
Old 18 September 2005, 05:28 AM
Brit_in_Japan
Scooby Regular

I'm going back to uni next year and I'll be in my late-mid 30's

So I really wouldn't worry about going back at 25. Just make sure that it's to do something you really want to do. I've done a lot of saving so I hope I can complete 3 years without taking on any new debt.
Old 18 September 2005, 01:04 PM
JamieMacdonald
Scooby Regular

IMHO unless you particularly want to go to uni to study something in particular, I wouldn't bother.

Depends what your motivation is but if it's money then don't waste your time doing a degree.

I am so so so so so so glad I didn't go to uni , I would not be doing what I am today. But of course everyone is different and for some careers a degree is a prerequisite.

You need to decide upon a career first and then look at the best route into that career.

J
Old 18 September 2005, 01:24 PM
Brendan Hughes
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by JamieMacdonald
You need to decide upon a career first and then look at the best route into that career.
Nice comment.

I came out of a law degree at 21, found various jobs, got pissed off with the way I was going, decided on a new career and went to get a Masters for it at 30. So far it's gone very well since then - as I could see how to merge my previous career with my new one.

This may be a dumb question, but can you get into scenery construction at a studios somewhere? Unfortunately I think Pinewood are in difficulties (as if they haven't been for the last 20 years...) So you move away gradually from welding.

I wouldn't say Film Studies was the best course to gamble on if you don't know what to do afterwards.
Old 18 September 2005, 02:24 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You will look a price pillock in all that ***** student gear, stick top normal clothing. Never understood how reasonably normal mates went to uni and came back dressed from head to toe in black Oxfam crap.