Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Snoring..........(AAAARRRRRGGGGHHHH)

Search this Thread

Old 04 September 2005, 01:32 AM
JoanUK300
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Snoring..........(AAAARRRRRGGGGHHHH)

I have just been woken up AGAIN.....'hubbys snoring'. The thing is it`s always me that ends up on the sofa.....no matter how many times I nudge him, turn him on his side, pinch his nose....whatever....he always ends up snoring and to say it`s driving me MAD is an under statement....

Short of breaking his blOOdy nose what else can I do to get a good nights sleep, slept well last night but tonight we are back to square one He gets the hump because I keep disturbing him, but hey, what the hell is it doing to me????? I've just sat here for the last half hour crying my eyes out with anger........AGAIN!

He did have a laser op about 15years ago to help the situation, which did work, but he got an infection and we couldn't stop the bleeding so ended up in A&E on Christmas Day....but he is reluctant to get it sorted again.

I don`t want to spend another night on the sofa.....was thinking of going down to the Travel Inn, but not sure I want to go out on my own this time of the morning!!!!!
Old 04 September 2005, 01:45 AM
Paulo P
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Kick him out of the bed, really!? I'm sure that'd work and if not the shock would stop him snoring long enough for you to fall asleep
Old 04 September 2005, 03:31 AM
DavidBrown
Scooby Regular

Had he been drinking ? It relaxes the muscles in the back of the throat making snoring louder.

Pull his chin away from his chest, freeing up the airways.
Old 04 September 2005, 09:00 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

One of the old remedies was to drop a small piece of soap in his mouth!

Les
Old 04 September 2005, 09:28 AM
Miss Kinky
Scooby Regular

Location: Be who you are and say what you feel. Those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

i can sympathise fully...

is he overweight? if so losing a few pounds will help...

ask your local pharmacist if they can recommend anything...

if not maybe you should agree to spend alternate nights on the sofa...
Old 04 September 2005, 09:36 AM
Jamo
Cooking on Calor

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

sew a golf ball into the back of his pyjamas (if he dosent wear them get him a top and make him wear one) snoring occurs when you are lay on your back.

hth

jamo
Old 04 September 2005, 10:11 AM
Petem95
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by shaggy1973
snoring occurs when you are lay on your back.
Mainly when youre on your back, but people can also snore lying on their side!
Old 04 September 2005, 10:14 AM
Big Den
Scooby Regular

I've been banished to the spare room by Mrs Den because of my snoring

Had an op 2 years ago that helped for a short time called septoplasty - another op has been suggested but it seems a bit drastic & possible post op problems don't seem particularly inviting - involves doing something to your soft pallate!!

Den
Old 04 September 2005, 10:16 AM
Scoob99
Scooby Regular

Joan,
Talk to my wife she will tell you how bad I was, she could be downstairs with the T.V. on and she could hear me snoring over that and If I'd had a scotch or three it made me ten times worse, well after my accident they discovered I had a brain tumor, (not a serious one I might add) but it was causing me problems with my throat, I had the tumor taken out and my snoring stopped but I have had a bad head cold for the last few days and I have been snoring again, but that will clear up, Lorraine use to get just like you tired and upset because she was getting no sleep, so I can sympathize with you because I know what Lorraine went through, try the becanaze nose strips they open the nasel passage at night or even get a becanaze inhayler a couple of shots of that up his hooter before bed could help too.
Cheers
Colin
Old 04 September 2005, 10:35 AM
Scoobychick
Scooby Regular

Joan I can completely empathise. Bob now uses a snore stop spray and I use earplugs and I rarely get woken up any more

Snoring is horrible and it's no joke when you're woken up time after time in the night because of it
Old 04 September 2005, 12:34 PM
JoanUK300
Scooby Regular

Thanks everyone........

I`m not sure what is causing the snoring but his breathing is really heavy too, he can hardly breathe thorugh his nose at night and makes up all kinds of excuses, too hot, too cold, blocked nose, eating too near bedtime, drinking too much milk, anything but the real cause.
I told him this morning he has to get it sorted because I can't go on like this...it's EVERY night and I wake up ssssssoooooooooo tired next day. If his breathing is bad today then I am going to keep pointing it out ALL day long just to get him to realise how bad it has got....

Well, I'm going to have a sleep this afternoon to catch up.
Old 04 September 2005, 01:40 PM
BOB.T
Scooby Senior

I can wake myself up with my snoring!

The spray stuff does seem to work a bit, you can also get your dentist to make a gum shield, mine wanted £120
Old 04 September 2005, 02:27 PM
jfrf
Scooby Regular

earplugs

job done
Old 04 September 2005, 02:35 PM
nonads
Scooby Newbie

Unhappy

strips of sellotape on his sack,when he starts snoring rip a strip off..didnt stop me snoring but the wife feels better about it.
Old 04 September 2005, 02:38 PM
mattvortex
Scooby Regular

Another good reason to stay single!!
Old 04 September 2005, 02:58 PM
Brendan Hughes
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

You could try this technique http://www.big-boys.com/articles/chainsawwake.html but with an SDS drill pointing up his nostrils...
Old 04 September 2005, 11:23 PM
steffiraf
Scooby Regular

I have the same problem. My OH snores like a good un'. Drives me insane. I find seperate bedrooms works. Oh and copious amount of alchohol. You will never cure it, not matter what you do. My OH refuses to sleep on his stomach, and nothing else, medical or otherwise will stop him. Even banning sex dont work! Either compromise of leave him. Thats my twopennethworth
Old 04 September 2005, 11:54 PM
Lee247
SN Fairy Godmother

Snoring my next course of action is to kill him
Old 05 September 2005, 12:47 PM
555-Shaggy
Scooby Regular

Probably shouldn't admit this, but my girlfriend really used to suffer and she ended up on the sofa.. not any more she binned me.. soz, only joking

We discovered a gum shield called Snorban have a look on the net for it, I think the address is just snorban.co.uk. They codt about £40, but worth every single penny of it.. my girlie now gets a good night sleep and I even thanked her for not laughing etc because I now sleep better too and we both feel so much better for disturbed nights.

Old 05 September 2005, 02:49 PM
DJ140
Scooby Regular

I go skiing with a mate every year, for a week. He snores constantly and the only way I can sleep is using wax earplugs, available from your local chemist.

I've tried the foam plugs, but they are nowhere near as effective.
Old 05 September 2005, 02:53 PM
mad_dr
Scooby Regular

Get him to put a small vertical strip of surgical tape across his lips with his mouth closed and it'll probably stop him. Worked for my dad who snored for 20 odd years (when he was asleep, before anyone asks).
Old 05 September 2005, 06:35 PM
andyfish
Scooby Regular

You first need to find out the cause of the snoring. There are many factors involved in snoring. Things to consider:

1 - Is he overweight? If so (even just a little) the problem is exagerated.
2 - Does he drink alcohol? Alcohol relaxes all the muscles at the back of the throat and exagerates the snoring.
3.- Is he simply snoring or does he have obstructive sleep apnoea (OSA) of which snoring can be a component? There is no way of diagnosing this without proper sleep studies - some hospitals have sleep labs, some send you home with the kit. Pointers which may help are the Epworth Sleepiness score and you can get more info here:
http://www.umm.edu/sleep/epworth_sleep.html
4. Has he had a tonsillectomy? If he has large tonsils this would partially occlude his airway and could be a contributory factor.

Only when you have a diagnosis can you recommend treatment. The treatment for OSA is weight loss, no alcohol and a continuous positive airway pressure (CPAP) machine. This forces air into the lungs and prevents the snoring.

There are surgical options for people without OSA that have large pallets called somnoplasty (which doesn't include any cutting with a scalpel and is done on a day case basis) and others but in order to have some treatment he needs assessment from an ENT Surgeon.

As the snoring is affecting your lives so much, you MUST get him to see the GP and ask for referral to the local ENT surgeon who has an interest in OSA / snoring. The waiting list is often long to see a ENT consultant, so don't wait to go and see the GP.

Hope this helps

Andy