Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

staggering...?!?!

Search this Thread

Old 03 September 2005, 10:25 PM
brihoppy
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default staggering...?!?!

optimax...M1 today...101.9 per litre...nuff said...!!! (am i slow on the uptake on this...just logged on after 3 days...?)
Old 03 September 2005, 10:32 PM
Ben WRX Bug-Eye
Scooby Regular

Blame New Labour. They could solve the problem. Over 80% is tax.
Old 03 September 2005, 10:48 PM
imlach
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Ben WRX Bug-Eye
Blame New Labour. They could solve the problem. Over 80% is tax.
At 101.9p, it's only 62% tax.
Old 03 September 2005, 10:51 PM
Ben WRX Bug-Eye
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by imlach
At 101.9p, it's only 62% tax.
I stand corrected. But you've already been taxed on your income that you then use to buy the fuel - so when all is considered its still way too bloody much!
Old 03 September 2005, 10:57 PM
brihoppy
Scooby Regular

feel free to descend into a free-for-all slagging of the government about fuel taxation (i want 5 mins in a locked room with blair)...thats not a thread i was starting, i was just flabbergasted at the price...most expensive petrol ive ever seen, but i notice it has been covered in another thread...
Old 03 September 2005, 11:00 PM
imlach
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by brihoppy
feel free to descend into a free-for-all slagging of the government about fuel taxation (i want 5 mins in a locked room with blair)...thats not a thread i was starting, i was just flabbergasted at the price...most expensive petrol ive ever seen, but i notice it has been covered in another thread...
Yes, and crude oil is at record breaking prices. Strangely enough, the price of petrol is linked to the price of crude. In all of this, fuel duty has not increased AT ALL. Have your 5 mins in the room if you like, but you'd be speaking to the wrong person.
Old 03 September 2005, 11:03 PM
brihoppy
Scooby Regular

Yes, and crude oil is at record breaking prices. Strangely enough, the price of petrol is linked to the price of crude. In all of this, fuel duty has not increased AT ALL. Have your 5 mins in the room if you like, but you'd be speaking to the wrong person.
believe me, i want my 5 mins with him for more than fuel taxation, and there wouldnt be much talking going on...
Old 03 September 2005, 11:05 PM
imlach
Scooby Regular

believe me, i want my 5 mins with him for more than fuel taxation, and there wouldnt be much talking going on...
OK, so how would you run the country? C'mon...let's have your solutions.
Old 03 September 2005, 11:09 PM
Ben WRX Bug-Eye
Scooby Regular

I could spend a life time 'working things out' with Blair in a locked room. Apparently he's obsessed with his place in history. Tony Blair - the man who single handedly brought a once proud nation to its knees.
Old 03 September 2005, 11:09 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

20p on a pack o **** ...
Old 03 September 2005, 11:10 PM
imlach
Scooby Regular

I could spend a life time 'working things out' with Blair in that locked room. Apparently he's obsessed with his place in history. I think him and the others will be remembered as the men who single handedly brought a once proud nation to its knees.
Sorry, a decade ago, everyone said that about Thatcher.
Name me a politician or prime minister of ANY country in history that everyone REALLY liked.........
Old 03 September 2005, 11:10 PM
dexter
Scooby Regular

I must admit, I was also dismayed today, when filling mine up with Optimax, and noticing that it is now just over £1 per litre.

I would openly admit that I am not that well up on the workings of the current economic climate, so could anyone (seriously) explain why the Government can`t, with the high price of oil, show a little leniency for a change, and actually decrease the duty we pay on our petrol, at least whilst the current situation of expensive crude oil remains.
Old 03 September 2005, 11:11 PM
Ben WRX Bug-Eye
Scooby Regular

Sorry, a decade ago, everyone said that about Thatcher.
Name me a politician or prime minister of ANY country in history that everyone REALLY liked.........
Winston Churchill.
Old 03 September 2005, 11:13 PM
imlach
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by dexter
I would openly admit that I am not that well up on the workings of the current economic climate, so could anyone (seriously) explain why the Government can`t, with the high price of oil, show a little leniency for a change, and actually decrease the duty we pay on our petrol, at least whilst the current situation of expensive crude oil remains.
Because the goverment would then face a budget deficit which would have to be plugged elsewhere. There's also no real end in sight to the high crude oil prices right now either. Better get used to it.

You could, of course, simply use less. Simple ideas are always the best aren't they.
Old 03 September 2005, 11:22 PM
dexter
Scooby Regular

Because the goverment would then face a budget deficit which would have to be plugged elsewhere. There's also no real end in sight to the high crude oil prices right now either. Better get used to it.

You could, of course, simply use less. Simple ideas are always the best aren't they.
Thanks for that imlach. It`s a bit clearer now.

You could, of course, simply use less.
Ah, but then I`d have to bury my right foot a bit less, and some things in life just cannot be sacrificed.

Oh well, as you said, I`d better get used to it...........................
Old 04 September 2005, 11:05 AM
ajm
Scooby Regular

and the government could stop squandering money. Simple ideas are always the best!
Old 04 September 2005, 11:09 AM
imlach
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ajm
and the government could stop squandering money. Simple ideas are always the best!
They could but that relies on someone else doing something. If you want to reduce YOUR expenditure out of YOUR pocket, you know what you have to do.
Old 04 September 2005, 11:26 AM
PALATINE
Scooby Regular

Location: back from, and now plotting to return to, Nordschleife

They could but that relies on someone else doing something. If you want to reduce YOUR expenditure out of YOUR pocket, you know what you have to do.
So I guess your chopping in the scoob for a Hybrid Prius?
Old 04 September 2005, 12:09 PM
DPat
Scooby Regular

Sorry, but VAT is a fixed %age and has therefore gone up

Brown will slip out how much extra he is making in the coming months to balance his farcical cycle!
Old 04 September 2005, 12:38 PM
Ralph Wiggum
Scooby Regular

Winston Churchill.
alot of people forget what he did to the irish,

the only politician i can think of in recent times that everyone like well most anyway is bill clinton, even after the scandal didn't lower rating
Old 04 September 2005, 01:56 PM
brihoppy
Scooby Regular

OK, so how would you run the country? C'mon...let's have your solutions.
i can understand the difficulties anyone who takes on the very highest office in the nation will face...one thing i certainly wouldnt do if i were in that position is be smarmy, patronising, condescending, weak-willed and constantly fly in the face of public opinion...

people like blair, as has been stated in this thread already are obsessed with their place in history and not in the good of the country...all he honestly cares about is his own political agenda and ideals, and how much he can make on the after dinner circuit or as a company director once his term is up...IMO, this is what most senior politicians are like, and not one of them genuinely gives a toss about 99% of the population...
Old 04 September 2005, 02:06 PM
imlach
Scooby Regular

i can understand the difficulties anyone who takes on the very highest office in the nation will face...one thing i certainly wouldnt do if i were in that position is be smarmy, patronising, condescending, weak-willed and constantly fly in the face of public opinion...

people like blair, as has been stated in this thread already are obsessed with their place in history and not in the good of the country...all he honestly cares about is his own political agenda and ideals, and how much he can make on the after dinner circuit or as a company director once his term is up...IMO, this is what most senior politicians are like, and not one of them genuinely gives a toss about 99% of the population...
Well, why don't you stand as an MP and make a difference? If 99% of people agree with you, you'll be in power in no time........

..or perhaps it's not that easy to be popular.
Old 04 September 2005, 02:17 PM
brihoppy
Scooby Regular

Well, why don't you stand as an MP and make a difference? If 99% of people agree with you, you'll be in power in no time........

..or perhaps it's not that easy to be popular.
obviously youre a labour supporter/fan of blair, thats your choice, and im not going to get into an arguement about whether id do a better job as i have no experience whatsoever in politics...

however, i dont have to be an expert, and neither does anyone else, to see that the man has no concern or regard for the country as a whole...and like him or not, if you cant see that he is patronising and smarmy, then hes got you as hoodwinked as the rest of his supporters...
Old 04 September 2005, 02:29 PM
mattvortex
Scooby Regular

obviously youre a labour supporter/fan of blair, thats your choice, and im not going to get into an arguement about whether id do a better job as i have no experience whatsoever in politics...

however, i dont have to be an expert, and neither does anyone else, to see that the man has no concern or regard for the country as a whole...and like him or not, if you cant see that he is patronising and smarmy, then hes got you as hoodwinked as the rest of his supporters...
Well said-totally agree with that!
Old 04 September 2005, 02:32 PM
eldudereno
Scooby Regular

What a load of bollocks, it's totally irrelevant who the PM is, not one of them would do anything to bring down the price of petrol!!!!!!!!!
Old 04 September 2005, 02:32 PM
imlach
Scooby Regular

I've never voted Labour in my life. My stance here & opinions are all apolitical.
10 years ago, a large proportion hated Thatcher and wanted Labour in power. Now Labour is in power, a large proportion hates it....

Some of you just don't know what you want to be frank!

Last edited by imlach; 04 September 2005 at 02:46 PM.
Old 04 September 2005, 02:45 PM
brihoppy
Scooby Regular

I've never voted Labour in my life. My stance here & opinions are all apolitical.
10 years ago, everyone hated Thatcher and wanted Labour in power. Now Labour is in power, everyone hates it....

Some of you just don't know what you want to be frank!
quite honestly you may be right...ill tell you what i dont want though, and that is to be constantly lied to and patronised...i dont know if well ever have a leader like that in this country, but it doesnt stop us wishing does it...?!
Old 04 September 2005, 02:48 PM
imlach
Scooby Regular

quite honestly you may be right...ill tell you what i dont want though, and that is to be constantly lied to and patronised...i dont know if well ever have a leader like that in this country, but it doesnt stop us wishing does it...?!
..but in the end, even if you aren't lied to or patronised, taxation will still be similar...so your only gripe is the personality?
Old 04 September 2005, 03:02 PM
brihoppy
Scooby Regular

i started this thread with a simple observation, and it was slightly hijacked...as i said i have no political experience so i dont have the magic answers, but as were on the topic and amongst many other things, i simply do not believe that there is no way that the govt cant cut the duty on petrol, alcohol, tobacco, etc...i am aware though that these shortfalls will have to be made up elsewhere...

the fact is i just cannot and will not believe that this is the only way...
Old 04 September 2005, 04:05 PM
imlach
Scooby Regular

...so i dont have the magic answers....
...which is really the root of the problem. There are NO magic answers to this. Of course there is no harm trying to look at things from a different angle.

At the end of the day though, there are two certainties in life, one is tax, and the other is death.

Quick Reply: staggering...?!?!