Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Who wants to leave?

Search this Thread

Old 20 August 2005, 05:51 PM
Ben WRX Bug-Eye
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Who wants to leave?

An awful lot of people I speak to are talking about how they want to leave this country to go and live somewhere else. Reasons for this are screwed up government policies, yob culture, lack of respect etc...

Does anybody else think this country is going down the toilet, dread to think what the place is going to be like in 20 years time, and fancy leaving to live somewhere else?
Old 20 August 2005, 05:54 PM
KiwiGTI
Scooby Regular

Other countries have problems too, what's really wrong with this place?
Old 20 August 2005, 06:02 PM
hectic
Scooby Regular

i really do love 'this green and pleasant land'...... but dont fancy growing old here , with the current state this country is in , due to all the 'do-gooders' itll get a LOT worse before it starts to get better IMHO..... im already relishing the prospect of retirement somewhere in the 'Med'....
Old 20 August 2005, 06:09 PM
ScoobyDoo555
Scooby Regular

I would love to live in either Spain or at a push, the States or Oz.
Not because of the state of the country, but moreso, I like the Mediterranean attitude to life "work to live" as opposed to "live to work".

However, like others have said, they've all got their own problems..... would at worst, consider it in the next 20 years......

Dan
Old 20 August 2005, 06:10 PM
KiwiGTI
Scooby Regular

The British media have a lot to answer to.

Research the actual crime statistics, quite often the UK is amongst the lowest in the world per capita for offences, including murder, rape, assaults, burglary etc. Usually the UK is lower than the US, Australia, Canada, New Zealand, France and Germany.

Both Australia and NZ have gangs and "hoons" that make the UK criminals and yobs look like a bunch of girls.
Old 20 August 2005, 06:22 PM
RussBoy
Scooby Regular

I've got one step further - I've sold up, bought a house in Spain and am moving out there in 6-8 weeks! Managed to buy a place for cash out of the equity I had in my house in Kent. I can run my own Internet businesses from home there whilst sipping a nice cold (and cheap) San Miguel! I'm diabetic and the heat also helps control my blood sugars so it's a double bonus for me.

Spain has it's problems too of course, and some of them serious (like volient shootings) but that said, the general way of life and the way you treat each other there is one of respect - kids say hello in the street, neighbour helps neighbour etc - exactly the way I remember the way I remember the inner London estates being when I grew up in Brixton in the 1970's (before the do-gooders started their crusades).

I'm not ruling out coming back to the U.K at some point in my life (I'm 33) but there's not much encouraging me to stay here right now...

Russ
Old 20 August 2005, 06:27 PM
rgv_stu
Scooby Regular

im seriously tempted to move out , only if its just for a few years...
Old 20 August 2005, 06:28 PM
Iwan
Scooby Regular

I'm looking into it, either Australia or Canada. I've already had my UK educational qualifications assessed and approved as eligible, so need to take some fact-finding holidays next.

Only proviso is it needs to be somewhere with places to go diving.
Old 20 August 2005, 06:31 PM
hectic
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by RussBoy
I've got one step further - I've sold up, bought a house in Spain and am moving out there in 6-8 weeks! Managed to buy a place for cash out of the equity I had in my house in Kent. I can run my own Internet businesses from home there whilst sipping a nice cold (and cheap) San Miguel! I'm diabetic and the heat also helps control my blood sugars so it's a double bonus for me.

Spain has it's problems too of course, and some of them serious (like volient shootings) but that said, the general way of life and the way you treat each other there is one of respect - kids say hello in the street, neighbour helps neighbour etc - exactly the way I remember the way I remember the inner London estates being when I grew up in Brixton in the 1970's (before the do-gooders started their crusades).

I'm not ruling out coming back to the U.K at some point in my life (I'm 33) but there's not much encouraging me to stay here right now...

Russ
Fair play to ya dood.... hope it goes real well for you .... never know .... i might be ' joining you' over there sooner rather than later.... im SERIOUSLY considering a major change ATM...
Old 20 August 2005, 06:34 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Talking

grass aint nearly so green in spain........

Thats cos they dont get as much rain...........however what they do get they manage better than we can..........
Old 20 August 2005, 06:39 PM
KiwiGTI
Scooby Regular

If you are going to leave the UK it has to be because you want the change of lifestyle, unfortunately most social problems exist in all countries these days.
Old 20 August 2005, 06:42 PM
Wurzel
Scooby Senior

Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts

I already have! moved to southern Germany 5 years ago.

apart from the strange beaurocracy and language here it is a very nice place to live.

Clean tidy etc

there is respect for each other and for possesions ( no door dings) the teanagers admire your car from a distance and won't touch it, the address you politely and ask you about it, you can leave it unlocked with valubles on display and they are still there when you get back.

It does have its bad points but TBH the good ones outweigh the bad ones by a fair mile.

Plus we are in the centre of europe and can drive to lots of other countries.

Also the Alps are about 2 hours away and are great in the summer and winter.
Old 20 August 2005, 06:48 PM
David_Dickson
Scooby Regular

I have organised a house and a job in the South of France and will be moving sometime before the end of the year. (undecided on the exact date yet)

Im going for the weather, the lifestyle, the food and the lack of crime (the area im going to is pretty remote and the village is crime-free)

[img]http://x1.putfile.com/7/20913325142.jpg[\img]
Old 20 August 2005, 06:59 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Talking

yes the sourcing a job in a remote village bit vexes me.......
Old 20 August 2005, 06:59 PM
missyc
Scooby Regular

I have organised a house and a job in the South of France
Oooh very envious... a massive place by the looks of it

Nearly moved to S France near Narbonne 18 years ago.

Not ruled out taking the plunge sometime in the future - not sure where tho!

Last edited by missyc; 20 August 2005 at 07:02 PM.
Old 20 August 2005, 07:35 PM
David_Dickson
Scooby Regular

Thanks for that!

Can you tell I wont be working in I.T. over there?

The house is big, but needs totally gutted and rennovated. - Thats the job! There is a lot of land with it that will be returned to proper farm-land over the next year too.

I will be moving from a city-centre flat to living "The Good Life" in rural France. I have spent the last few summer working there and I cant wait to go for good.
Old 20 August 2005, 07:38 PM
unclebuck
Scooby Regular

Yep. New Labour have f**ked this country up good and proper, and it's going to get *much* worse as their imbicilic policies on eductation, foreign affairs and the over heated economy come home to roost. Not to mention the 'police state' or 'survelience society' they are in the process of creating to control us all.

Canada is top of my list as the company I work for is the major employer in Vancouver.
Old 20 August 2005, 07:52 PM
msi
Scooby Regular

@DD, it's a good idea, I've looked into doing that myself but what are you going to do once you have renovated the house?
Old 20 August 2005, 07:55 PM
David_Dickson
Scooby Regular

Work the farm
Old 20 August 2005, 07:56 PM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

My destination of choice would be New Zealand. I'm planning a long holiday there in the next 2 years to confirm it is THE place for me, and am hoping to build a business up over the next 5 years which will put me in a good financial position when the mortgage has gone and the house value is at a peak.

I can only agree with many people's opinions on the state of British society. Yob/gang culture going unchecked due to liberal wet do-gooders telling us that punishment doesn't work. Well it used to The surveilance state and manic taxation of anyone whom can actually support themselves to pay for the irresponsibility of those who can't Not a day goes by that I am not flabergasted by some ridiculous policy aimed at mollycoddling the down-right bloody lazy. I saw a program a few days ago where a job centre not only arranged a workshy sponging **** an interview, they paid for his taxi to get there, and when he was offered a job, they bought him a mountain bike so's he could get there. **** THAT !!!! I'd have said get a job within 3 months or you're out of your council flat and no more benefits

A beautiful place, spoilt by the majority of those which live here
Old 20 August 2005, 07:56 PM
Suresh
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Red face

Originally Posted by Ben WRX Bug-Eye
An awful lot of people I speak to are talking about how they want to leave this country to go and live somewhere else. Reasons for this are screwed up government policies, yob culture, lack of respect etc...

Does anybody else think this country is going down the toilet, dread to think what the place is going to be like in 20 years time, and fancy leaving to live somewhere else?
I left in 1993 when the Tories were in power, unemployment was 10%, most of the country was still living with negative equity, the IRA were bombing the City, men were getting raped on the Northern Line and chavs were starting fist fights in pubs everywhere.

HTH

Suresh
Old 20 August 2005, 08:20 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Smile

Originally Posted by David_Dickson
Work the farm
id imagine your meaning on a self-sufficient basis..? wouldnt mind myself and have the funds - however id be concerned about shutting myself off from 'reality'
Old 21 August 2005, 12:17 AM
warrenm2
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by KiwiGTI
The British media have a lot to answer to.

Research the actual crime statistics, quite often the UK is amongst the lowest in the world per capita for offences, including murder, rape, assaults, burglary etc. Usually the UK is lower than the US, Australia, Canada, New Zealand, France and Germany.

Both Australia and NZ have gangs and "hoons" that make the UK criminals and yobs look like a bunch of girls.
Not strictly true - and I'm using the word "strictly" in its most liberal sense

OECD figures

Gvnt figures

Other study and also here
Old 21 August 2005, 12:33 AM
KiwiGTI
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by warrenm2
Not strictly true - and I'm using the word "strictly" in its most liberal sense

OECD figures

Gvnt figures

Other study and also here

It depends what site you look at and what statitistics, but I think my point still stands. The crime in the UK compared to most other countries that people emmigrate to is pretty comparable, there isn't a huge difference. (OK, maybe in Germany/France, but not the Enlish speaking nations)
Old 21 August 2005, 01:15 AM
warrenm2
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by KiwiGTI
It depends what site you look at and what statitistics, but I think my point still stands. The crime in the UK compared to most other countries that people emmigrate to is pretty comparable, there isn't a huge difference. (OK, maybe in Germany/France, but not the Enlish speaking nations)
So OECD and official UK gvnt stats not good enough for you cos they dont fit your arguement? Sheesh!
Old 21 August 2005, 07:42 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Maybe its fair to say that civilisation in general is going down the tubes then!

Les
Old 21 August 2005, 09:48 AM
Chip
Scooby Regular

I think the Uk had got just about everything anyone could want (apart from decent weather maybe)

The only thing that spoils it for me is the fact that there are so many arseholes living in it.

Chip
Old 21 August 2005, 10:25 AM
ADP
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the chavs are driving us out!
Old 21 August 2005, 10:27 AM
ADP
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

oops wrong fecking forum!

Last edited by ADP; 21 August 2005 at 10:48 AM.
Old 21 August 2005, 10:34 AM
The Chief
Scooby Regular

I think it would have to be the States for me, better weather, cheaper housing (like 120k for a 4 bed detached with a pool) cheap fuel oh and George Bush - hold on a minute George (dumbfcuk) Bush, maybe i need to evaluate?

Quick Reply: Who wants to leave?