Search this Thread

Old 04 August 2005, 10:49 AM
RESSE
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Angry Car Theft - words fail me

Beer cans used in luxury car thefts

Aug 4, 2005, 08:13

An empty beer can is being used by Stourbridge car thieves in a new scam to lure drivers away from their luxury motors, police warned.

The thieves tie the can to the exhaust and lie in wait until the driver gets out to investigate the rattling sound it makes when the car pulls away.

Drivers are often so distracted by the sound that they leave the keys in the ignition while they get down on their hands and knees to investigate - giving thieves the chance to jump in and drive away.

The trick fooled one woman from Stourbridge who had her sporty Audi TT stolen this week.

The new way of stealing the expensive motors is spreading across the Black Country and police are urging drivers to be aware of the scam.

The latest victim returned to her silver Audi TT in the Parkfield Road NCP carpark, Stourbridge, and as she drove off heard a banging sound.

Local intelligence officer Pc Bob Hickman, from Halesowen police station, said: "As the woman got out she left her car keys in the car and went round to the back of her vehicle where she found the empty can.

"Before she know what was happening a young man with a shaven head jumped in and drove off."
Old 04 August 2005, 11:07 AM
Gutmann pug
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ingenious I must say ........
Old 04 August 2005, 11:10 AM
PG
Scooby Regular

sounds like one of those urban myths to me
Old 04 August 2005, 11:10 AM
khany
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Etheridge-Bird
Beer cans used in luxury car thefts

Aug 4, 2005, 08:13

An empty beer can is being used by Stourbridge car thieves in a new scam to lure drivers away from their luxury motors, police warned.

The thieves tie the can to the exhaust and lie in wait until the driver gets out to investigate the rattling sound it makes when the car pulls away.

Drivers are often so distracted by the sound that they leave the keys in the ignition while they get down on their hands and knees to investigate - giving thieves the chance to jump in and drive away.

The trick fooled one woman from Stourbridge who had her sporty Audi TT stolen this week.

The new way of stealing the expensive motors is spreading across the Black Country and police are urging drivers to be aware of the scam.

The latest victim returned to her silver Audi TT in the Parkfield Road NCP carpark, Stourbridge, and as she drove off heard a banging sound.

Local intelligence officer Pc Bob Hickman, from Halesowen police station, said: "As the woman got out she left her car keys in the car and went round to the back of her vehicle where she found the empty can.

"Before she know what was happening a young man with a shaven head jumped in and drove off."
I think its safe to say they werent muslims, if it had been Rubicon Mango cans then we may have had a case.
Old 04 August 2005, 11:13 AM
STi wanna Subaru
Scooby Regular

Most scoob owners probably wouldn't hear it over their exhaust or put it down to piston slap / another big end about to go

Last edited by STi wanna Subaru; 04 August 2005 at 11:17 AM.
Old 04 August 2005, 11:16 AM
T4molie
Scooby Regular

LOL ^^^ Too True
Old 04 August 2005, 11:38 AM
Dick Cheese
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by PG
sounds like one of those urban myths to me
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/w...ds/4742431.stm