Maybe we should take a leaf out of Australia's book. I'm with it all the way
!!!

Australia - The Right to Leave Our Country

After Sydney not wanting to offend other cultures by putting up Xmas
lights.

After hearing that the State of South Australia changed its opinion and
let a Muslim woman have her picture on her driver's license with her
face covered.

This prompted this editorial written by an Australian citizen.
Published in an Australian newspaper.

Quote:

IMMIGRANTS, NOT AUSTRALIANS, MUST ADAPT.
Take It Or Leave It I am tired of this nation worrying about whether we are

offending some individual or their culture. Since the terrorist attacks on
Bali, we have experienced a surge in patriotism by the majority of Australians.

However, the dust from the attacks had barely settled when the
"politically correct" crowd began complaining about the possibility
that our patriotism was offending others. I am not against immigration,
nor do I hold a grudge against anyone who is seeking a better life by
coming to Australia.

However, there are a few things that those who have recently come to
our country, and apparently some born here, need to understand.

This idea of Australia being a multicultural community has served only
to dilute our sovereignty and our national identity. As Australians, we
have our own culture, our own society, our own language and our own
lifestyle.

This culture has been developed over two centuries of struggles, trials
and victories by millions of men and women who have sought freedom.

We speak ENGLISH, not Spanish, Lebanese, Arabic, Chinese, Japanese,
Russian, or any other language. Therefore, if you wish to become part
of our society, Learn the language!

"In God We Trust" is our National Motto. This is not some Christian,
right wing, political slogan. We adopted this motto because Christian
men and women, on Christian principles, founded this nation, and this
is clearly documented. It is certainly appropriate to display it on
the walls of our schools. If God offends you, then I suggest you
consider another part of the world as your new home, Because God is
part of our culture.

If the Southern Cross offends you, or you don't like " A Fair Go",
then you should seriously consider a move to another part of this
planet.

We are happy with our culture and have no desire to change, And we
really don't care how you did things where you came from.

This is OUR COUNTRY, OUR LAND, and OUR LIFESTYLE, and we will allow you
every opportunity to enjoy all this.

But once you are done complaining, whining, and griping about Our Flag,
Our Pledge, Our National Motto, or Our Way of Life, I highly encourage
you take advantage of one other great Australian freedom,

"THE RIGHT TO LEAVE".

If you aren't happy here then f#@* off! We didn't force you to come
here. You asked to be here. So accept the country YOU accepted.
Pretty easy really, when you think about it.

Chip
Old 03 August 2005, 02:30 PM
simo
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If only we would adopt that. If you want to live here, live by our rules / laws / beliefs. That would work but imagine the uproar from the do-gooders!!!

fat chance of it ever happening here as no one would be left to vote labour (Cue Pete )
Old 03 August 2005, 02:30 PM
DBY
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Sounds fair to me.
Old 03 August 2005, 02:36 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

HELL YEAH!

If you want to be a part of the UK then *YOU* need to intergrate with *US* not the other way round. We should not be bowing to pressure to allow certain things due to the immigrants we have in the country. If they do not wish to abide by our laws and guidlines, then sod off somewhere else.
Old 03 August 2005, 02:39 PM
sti-04!!
Scooby Senior

<nods>
Old 03 August 2005, 03:10 PM
suprabeast
Scooby Regular

<double nods>
Old 03 August 2005, 03:15 PM
Jerome
Scooby Regular

Well said that man!

I find it interesting that the immigrants who complain the loudest, come from countries that would be the least likely to be politically correct and accepting of an immigrants beliefs and culture.
Old 03 August 2005, 03:16 PM
AsifScoob
Scooby Regular

Depends how you look at it of course...

If we were to increase immigration into the UK 10 times what it is now, have a few more crims in here, then gradually marginalise the indigeneous population, force them into reservations, steal their land, kill a few of them off of course, get them into such a state they become drug addicts and alcoholics etc...

Then we would have followed the Australian model quite nicely...

Just joking!

Asif
Old 03 August 2005, 03:17 PM
G-STAR
Scooby Regular

I couldn't agree more - it's not much to ask, considering what we give to them.

Last edited by G-STAR; 03 August 2005 at 03:23 PM.
Old 03 August 2005, 03:20 PM
MJW
Scooby Senior

Australians ARE immigrants ! The Abbos should kick them all out for not conforming to their culture !
Old 03 August 2005, 03:23 PM
STi wanna Subaru
Scooby Regular

Ironic then that whenever the Brits go abroad to live or just holiday we try and create a 'little Britain'

I agree with the sentiments of the article however.

PS How many people abroad have shouted in pigeon English at a 'foreigner' while in their country?
Old 03 August 2005, 03:29 PM
Jamo
Cooking on Calor

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

<nods>
Old 03 August 2005, 03:39 PM
dtriggs
Scooby Regular

I agree totally with the article - if you want to come to our country then accept it for what it is - dont try and change it once you are here !!! If it's better then where u are coming from then shut up and enjoy it.
Old 03 August 2005, 03:52 PM
03-CTR
Scooby Regular

but don't governments appease other cultures because of the way they've trampled on and abused other cultures in the past ?

not that i agree with it but the uk don't have the cleanest record on the planet.
Old 03 August 2005, 03:52 PM
STi wanna Subaru
Scooby Regular

the fact is our Country much like any other is a result of the melting pot of different races and cultures over the years. What about those people who enjoy a curry or a Chinese? Should those people who have come here not carried on cooking their traditional means and instead be eating fish and chips?
Old 03 August 2005, 04:46 PM
Jerome
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by STi wanna Subaru
the fact is our Country much like any other is a result of the melting pot of different races and cultures over the years. What about those people who enjoy a curry or a Chinese? Should those people who have come here not carried on cooking their traditional means and instead be eating fish and chips?
I'm British and can't stand fish and chips, I'd much rather have a curry or a Chinese any day.

We're talking about almost pretending we aren't a christian society in the fear we might upset those of another religion, or allowing people to collect their dole money in 27 languages other than English etc, not about someone's choice of food.
Old 03 August 2005, 04:53 PM
STi wanna Subaru
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Jerome
I'm British and can't stand fish and chips, I'd much rather have a curry or a Chinese any day.

We're talking about almost pretending we aren't a christian society in the fear we might upset those of another religion, or allowing people to collect their dole money in 27 languages other than English etc, not about someone's choice of food.
I'm just making the point (not very well I admit ) Where do we draw the line? We need to be tolerant but maintain our own systems and traditions.

PS I'm not a Christian. I think those people as as bad as all the rest. god damn brainwashing god botherers!!
Old 03 August 2005, 05:14 PM
Jerome
Scooby Regular

I'm just making the point (not very well I admit ) Where do we draw the line? We need to be tolerant but maintain our own systems and traditions.

PS I'm not a Christian. I think those people as as bad as all the rest. god damn brainwashing god botherers!!
I agree. We need to find a balance whereby we don't ram our beliefs and culture down the throats of immigrants, but still be able to keep our culture and beliefs intact.

I suspect the vast majority of immigrants themselves realise they are better off in Britain and like being there. It's just a vocal minority (isn't it always) and PC mad appeasers to them that cause all the damage.
Old 03 August 2005, 06:32 PM
Luminous
Scooby Regular

Think the Aussie method sounds perfect. If don't like it, leave
Old 04 August 2005, 05:37 PM
AsifScoob
Scooby Regular

Default Serious questions for the posters on this thread.

I am a model UK citizen, I believe.

I work, pay my taxes, abide by the law, dont drop litter, am very polite, courteous, queue, hold doors open for other people, I report crime where I see it, have prevented crime on a few occasions etc etc (read my other posts)

I have a very good appreciation of UK culture, hell I even support the England football team. I like my fish and chips, steak and chips etc etc (again read my other posts)

I have many English friends, who call me English and cannot believe that I dont call myself English (read my other posts!)

I dont have any problems with Xmas lights, Sunday roasts, or whatever constitutes you being British. I dont care what you do, as long as you are not breaking the law etc.

Not only do I consider myself a model citizen, I think a significant % of the white population could learn a thing or two from me, about being a model citizen.

So, do you want to throw me out because I might have something to complain about here, because my parents were born abroad?

Given no other issues (finances, personality, love etc) would you let me marry your daughter? (This is not a request, I am asking your view!)

How would you feel if I moved in next door to you? (I know Chips' answer)

There are lots of tests and questions that I could ask. I believe that a significant % of the white population of this country would answer negatively to those questions.

I have no facts to back this up, just my opinion, but no less valid than some of the other opinions expressed on here.

One undisputable fact, despite what I have stated about myself, I still get called a Paki. Not a lot, I have to say, not regularly, but it does still happen (has happened on SN for instance)

My point is, given those things, WHY should I make any more effort to integrate? Why should anyone? Won't do them any good will it?

IMO the Australians do not have the perfect answer. I have met one or two who have a disgraceful attitude to aboriginies and such like. They need to ask themselves searching questions about their own country.

Look forward to your responses.

Asif

Last edited by AsifScoob; 05 August 2005 at 01:47 AM. Reason: Terrible spelling!
Old 04 August 2005, 07:02 PM
Chip
Scooby Regular

Excellent reply Asif but I dont think the article was aimed at people like yourself with the views that you have expressed, which shows just how people from all races, cultures can become part of an integrated society by respecting and becoming part of the "home" countries views of things whilst still maintaining your own beliefs.

Chip
Old 04 August 2005, 07:24 PM
RB170
Scooby Regular

That's fare enough but the point being made is that if people are allowed to practice their religious and cultural beliefs in a country that is not constitutionally the same religion or culture then they should not try to change that country or moan their ***** off when that countries asks them to abide by their laws.
Old 04 August 2005, 07:37 PM
RB170
Scooby Regular

Asif unfortunatley you are probably in a silent majority.

The problem is not the fact that we have immigrants, this country would be an a real mess if we didn't have them. The problem is that the majority of immigrants are pecieived to make no effort to intergrate and expect the British government and people to change things to fit them.

If I went to a country where the law stated that I must have a picture of me standing on my head inorder to get a license then I would get a picture of me standing on my head. I wouldn't expect the law to be changed just because I didn't believe in it or my religion said I couldn't.

I object to being called a racist because I choose to have the union flag tatooed on my arm or fly the flag from my window
Old 04 August 2005, 08:55 PM
mart360
Scooby Regular

Asif,

were you born in the uk??

i find your stance odd.. accepted your parents wernt born here, nothing wrong with that.

if however you were born here, before 1982, that would make you an automatic british citizen.

if as you state you dont count yourself as british, then what do you count yourself as??

M?
Old 05 August 2005, 01:45 AM
AsifScoob
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Chip
Excellent reply Asif but I dont think the article was aimed at people like yourself with the views that you have expressed, which shows just how people from all races, cultures can become part of an integrated society by respecting and becoming part of the "home" countries views of things whilst still maintaining your own beliefs.

Chip
Thanks Chip. Fair enough mate I agree with you. (For the record, I also know you wouldn't mind me moving next door to you!)

I just cant help feeling that I am being tarred with the same brush being used by the author of the article. That I somehow dont have the same right to complain about certain things in this country, due to being an 'immigrant'. Do you see what I mean?

Also, that no matter how much effort I make to integrate (which I do for myself and not anyone else) I will never be truly accepted in this country. Therefore I have to ask the question again - what good is there in trying to integrate? What will it get me?

Asif

Last edited by AsifScoob; 05 August 2005 at 02:16 AM.
Old 05 August 2005, 02:01 AM
AsifScoob
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by RB170
Asif unfortunatley you are probably in a silent majority.

The problem is not the fact that we have immigrants, this country would be an a real mess if we didn't have them. The problem is that the majority of immigrants are pecieived to make no effort to intergrate and expect the British government and people to change things to fit them.

If I went to a country where the law stated that I must have a picture of me standing on my head inorder to get a license then I would get a picture of me standing on my head. I wouldn't expect the law to be changed just because I didn't believe in it or my religion said I couldn't.

I object to being called a racist because I choose to have the union flag tatooed on my arm or fly the flag from my window
I understand what you are saying mate, fair enough and I agree with what you say. I dont mind being part of a silent majority though, dont think its a bad thing.

One question though, has anyone actually called you a racist solely because of your Union Jack tattoo? I would be amazed.

Where I live in West London, there is no shortage of George crosses, either flags, on cars, outside pubs etc. There happens to be probably an equal number of Irish Tricolores and quite a few Sikh flags in cars. No one seems to be bothered by any of these.

When I was a youngster, I would never go into a pub which had George Crosses outside, as it used to signify just one thing, but I am glad that ordinary English people have reclaimed their flag. I can be in a pub now with George Cross bunting all over it and I am not bothered, its normal these days.

Asif
Old 05 August 2005, 02:10 AM
AsifScoob
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by mart360
Asif,

were you born in the uk??

i find your stance odd.. accepted your parents wernt born here, nothing wrong with that.

if however you were born here, before 1982, that would make you an automatic british citizen.

if as you state you dont count yourself as british, then what do you count yourself as??

M?
Hello Mart,

You're a funny character too mate, sometimes very smart, sometimes not so. (you'll have to read where we have posted together elsewhere mate!). You have a strong belief and are passionate and sincere. Sometimes however you let all that get the better of your common sense.

You will also have to read some of my other posts re this subject. I have explained, at length, verbosely in fact, what my views are on this.

Quick summary:

I am British, I was born here and call myself British. Not English however, IMO due to my belief that being English also means all sorts of cultural stuff that I do not have. Also, you have to be white to be English, IMO.

British is whats on my passport and what I am, couldn't call myself anything else if I wanted to.

HTH.

Asif

Last edited by AsifScoob; 05 August 2005 at 02:13 AM.
Old 05 August 2005, 07:50 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

No reason why immigrants should not be able to follow and practice their own religions as long as they don't expect that we should have to change to their style of life.

Very difficult to change the general attitude towards protecting our own culture when we are labouring under a PC Government. We lost that chance during the last election!

Les
Old 05 August 2005, 07:56 AM
RB170
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by AsifScoob
Hello Mart,

I am British, I was born here and call myself British. Not English however, IMO due to my belief that being English also means all sorts of cultural stuff that I do not have. Also, you have to be white to be English, IMO.
Mate that's just messed up, why do you have to be white to be English ? but I suppose it indicates your subconcious prejudices.

TBH I don't have a union flag tattoo but I have been with friends when they have been verbaly attacked as racists but I have been told by the local police that under no circumstances am I allowed to hang the union flag from my window as it is considered a cause of racial aggitation.....???

Quick Reply: Aussies have the right idea