Moral dilemma

Search this Thread

Old 02 August 2005, 11:29 PM
talizman
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Moral dilemma

Well kind of......

The wife is pregnant with our first child, so I'm kinda new to all this stuff.

I thought that it was just a case of having a quick drink fuelled fumble, and 9 months later a healthy sprog pops out, but apparently not.

At her scan the midwife explained all about the various tests that can be done, and asked whether we had decided to do them or not.

The tests I refer to are the Downs Syndrome and Spina bifida (sp)

We cannot decide whether to have the blood test which will categorise us in terms of high or low risk.

Apparently the high risk category have the choice of a further test to confirm whether the baby has either condition, however the test itself carries a risk of inducing miscarriage.....

Part of me wants to know, but part doesn't.....

So many moral questions.....

If the test proved positive, do you abort, or do you take on one of the biggest challenges of your life?
Do you worry about what "people" think by taking the decision to abort?
Does it make you selfish, or a bad person if you go down this road?
Or do you forget about the tests and wait and see what hand fate deals you and pray for a healthy, happy child?

Sorry for such a dry and morbid topic, but its playing on my mind big time.

Any thoughts or experiences to share?

Last edited by talizman; 02 August 2005 at 11:58 PM.
Old 02 August 2005, 11:36 PM
sti-04!!
Scooby Senior

John,

I got told about this test today from a 3rd party

I got tel to phone the hospital & we have an appointment on friday to discuss this amongst other things

I personally am not going to risk either tel or the baby

If its unhealthy then so be it but they way i see it my first is ok & neither of our familys have a history of any life threatening diseases or disabilties so i will take the risk
Old 02 August 2005, 11:42 PM
talizman
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by sti-04!!
If its unhealthy then so be it but they way i see it my first is ok & neither of our familys have a history of any life threatening diseases or disabilties so i will take the risk
Fair play mate
Old 02 August 2005, 11:44 PM
*Sonic*
Scooby Regular

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

I agree with sti-4
Old 02 August 2005, 11:46 PM
Soulgirl
Scooby Regular

If you and your partner are young then these tests aren't necessary unless there is family history of the ailments.

Abortion? Not a hard thing for the right reasons and who gives a fvck what anyone else thinks.

If I had been pregnant with a child that was not going to flourish or experience life I would have no qualms with aborting it at all.

Providing it's done early I personally believe that's ok. It's the late abortions for no medical reason that annoy me.
Old 02 August 2005, 11:47 PM
mart360
Scooby Regular

I,d say youve been given old info...

the test you are referring to can be done by blood sample, and carries a risk of misscarrage..

the way they do it now is a neuchal scan.. usually done privatly.. costs about

£90 .. its essentially a 3d scan of the baby.. very detailed , often in colour good scan piccys too!! looks at certain pointers which in abnormal babys are enlarged or shrunken.. and then applies a statistical risk...

fyi anyone over 30 is classed as high risk... we had it done and the risk was somthing like 1 in 10,000 suffice to say we have a very happy 2 year old

Mart
Old 02 August 2005, 11:47 PM
Lee247
SN Fairy Godmother

I had no tests and my kids are (oh, sorry, had scans)
congrats and good luck
Old 02 August 2005, 11:49 PM
*Sonic*
Scooby Regular

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

I thought 3d scans were about 200 quid
Old 02 August 2005, 11:50 PM
mart360
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by sti-04!!
John,

I got told about this test today from a 3rd party

I got tel to phone the hospital & we have an appointment on friday to discuss this amongst other things

I personally am not going to risk either tel or the baby

i like the sentiment, but be very realistic, a baby suffering from a chronic medical condition requires a lot of care, it is not uncommon for familys to be driven apart by this... my ex wifes family had a history of MD ..it put my x,s gran and her son in an early grave caring for a child with MD

we had load of blood tests and factoring and screening.. was ok that time too

M
Old 02 August 2005, 11:55 PM
Chrisgr31
Scooby Regular

It is now possible to have a neuchal scan which basically measures the amount ot fluid at the back of the babys head and uses that to determine what the risk is of having a downs syndrome baby.

Some health authorities (including ours) offer them to all at risk pregnant women free of charge so my wife had one. The rik of a Downs baby was reduced from 1 in 250 to 1 in 3,000 or something. Therefore no problem.

Had the risk been great would she have had an abortion? Don't know! However to relieve pressure of the pregnant women and her partner the solution is not to tell anyone about the pregnancy until the scans are done and you now risks minimised, also when largest risk of miscarrying is over.
Old 02 August 2005, 11:55 PM
Soulgirl
Scooby Regular

Mart, the samples are usually Amniocentesis which is why miscarriage is quite high. There are new ultrasound blood tests available but not necessarily in every area.

There is the standard AFP test, alpha fetal protein, to check against spinabifida, but that is not an unusual test.

Another high risk set of tests come from chorionic villus sampling but again, only if you really present famility history of genetic problems.
Old 02 August 2005, 11:56 PM
talizman
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Soulgirl
If you and your partner are young then these tests aren't necessary unless there is family history of the ailments.

Abortion? Not a hard thing for the right reasons and who gives a fvck what anyone else thinks.

If I had been pregnant with a child that was not going to flourish or experience life I would have no qualms with aborting it at all.

Providing it's done early I personally believe that's ok. It's the late abortions for no medical reason that annoy me.
I'm 27 and she is 28. The hospital were obliged to offer us the test, and it just opened a whole can of worms as we hadn't even given the possibilities a second thought till then...

I'm not against abortion, depending on the circumstances, and I admire you for being honest about your beliefs. Lots of folk would say otherwise given that it is all hypothetical.

I didn't realise that more and more hospitals will not disclose the sex of the baby whether you beg or bribe, as some "cultures" are aborting female foetuses more and more as they want males to carry on the families. Disgusting. But thats a whole new topic.....
Old 02 August 2005, 11:57 PM
sti-04!!
Scooby Senior

Mart - I understand what your saying, i wouldnt wish that on my worst enemy

My g/f is in her early 20's & i am mid so hopefully we arent high in the risk factor & the fact my other kid (to another mother) is perfect in all ways, i am going to play those cards & keep them close to my chest

All my opinion though
Old 02 August 2005, 11:57 PM
mart360
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by talizman
I'm 27 and she is 28. The hospital were obliged to offer us the test, and it just opened a whole can of worms as we hadn't even given the possibilities a second thought till then...

I'm not against abortion, depending on the circumstances, and I admire you for being honest about your beliefs. Lots of folk would say otherwise given that it is all hypothetical.

I didn't realise that more and more hospitals will not disclose the sex of the baby whether you beg or bribe, as some "cultures" are aborting female foetuses more and more as they want males to carry on the families. Disgusting. But thats a whole new topic.....

if you have lots of scans.... you get more chance to look!!!!!

do the ring thing... 99% acurate lol

Mart
Old 02 August 2005, 11:58 PM
Lee247
SN Fairy Godmother

What ever happened to, Hey we are having a baby, wonderful news.
You are young enough for there to be virtually no risk, just enjoy and look forward
Old 03 August 2005, 12:00 AM
sti-04!!
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by 84of300
What ever happened to, Hey we are having a baby, wonderful news.
You are young enough for there to be virtually no risk, just enjoy and look forward
Old 03 August 2005, 12:01 AM
Lee247
SN Fairy Godmother

Hi sti, You ok mate
Old 03 August 2005, 12:04 AM
talizman
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by mart360
I,d say youve been given old info...

the test you are referring to can be done by blood sample, and carries a risk of misscarrage..

the way they do it now is a neuchal scan.. usually done privatly.. costs about

£90 .. its essentially a 3d scan of the baby.. very detailed , often in colour good scan piccys too!! looks at certain pointers which in abnormal babys are enlarged or shrunken.. and then applies a statistical risk...

fyi anyone over 30 is classed as high risk... we had it done and the risk was somthing like 1 in 10,000 suffice to say we have a very happy 2 year old

Mart
I don't think its necessarily old info, it simply Greater Glasgow Health Board policy......

First is an optional blood test to determine high or low risk. Then for the higher risk category, Amniocentesis is offered, however this carries a 1% chance of miscarriage.

I've read up on the other screening and diagnostci tests but they aren't on offer.
Old 03 August 2005, 12:05 AM
sti-04!!
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by 84of300
Hi sti, You ok mate
Fan dabby dozy

Hows you
Old 03 August 2005, 12:09 AM
talizman
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by mart360
i like the sentiment, but be very realistic, a baby suffering from a chronic medical condition requires a lot of care, it is not uncommon for familys to be driven apart by this... my ex wifes family had a history of MD ..it put my x,s gran and her son in an early grave caring for a child with MD

we had load of blood tests and factoring and screening.. was ok that time too

M
This is my wife's main concern.

She worries that we wouldn't cope and its affecting her even now.

She doesn't want to constantly think "what if?" for the next 6 months.......

Its a difficult one.
Old 03 August 2005, 12:09 AM
Soulgirl
Scooby Regular

If they could bottle the feeling of euphoria at the birth of your child that would outsell heroin

Really, if there is no family history of genetic illness in your families then rest assured your new baby will be fine.

The standard AFP test will signify any abnormality that is quite common such as twins or spinabifida, the other more extensive tests are usually only saved for those with a high expectancy of chromasomal abnormality
Old 03 August 2005, 12:10 AM
Lee247
SN Fairy Godmother

sti
thought high risk was over 35, mart
Old 03 August 2005, 12:11 AM
Jamo
Cooking on Calor

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

we had all the tests done, and from what we were told, it has a lot to do with your age.

the older you are the higher the risk is for having a baby with downs.

its only a blood test, and they told us if you dont hear anything in the next two weeks its all clear, if you are in a high risk, they contact you to go in for futhur tests (these are the ones that can cause miscarriage) apparantly a needle is inserted through the tummy and they check for water at the back of the neck and spine, and they take a sample if it is there (thats the dangerous bit).

so you can have the blood test done, but your under no obligation to go for the others, I must admit its very good for peace of mind.

hth

jamo

Last edited by Jamo; 03 August 2005 at 12:14 AM.
Old 03 August 2005, 12:11 AM
Soulgirl
Scooby Regular

It is 84of300.... strangely that has dropped overt the last 10 years though, it used to be over 40.
Old 03 August 2005, 12:12 AM
talizman
Scooby Regular

Really, if there is no family history of genetic illness in your families then rest assured your new baby will be fine.

The standard AFP test will signify any abnormality that is quite common such as twins or spinabifida, the other more extensive tests are usually only saved for those with a high expectancy of chromasomal abnormality
But I was led to believe that there is no evidence to suggest that Downs is hereditory and can happen to anyone at any time regardless of age, social class, race etc etc?

Excuse the ignorance, whats the AFP test?
Old 03 August 2005, 12:13 AM
Soulgirl
Scooby Regular

No, downs is most common in older women with older eggs That doesnt mean it WONT happen when you are young but it it pretty much ruled out.
Old 03 August 2005, 12:16 AM
talizman
Scooby Regular

No, downs is most common in older women with older eggs That doesnt mean it WONT happen when you are young but it it pretty much ruled out.
I think that we will probably end up having the blood test since there is no risk involved with that. At least it will classify our risk and will hopefully put my wife's mind at ease. Like shaggy says, theres no obligation to take further tests and hopefully it will offer some peace of mind. <he prays>

Depending on the result of that, well, we will cross that bridge when we come to it. There is no point in trying to decide which road we will chose until we are standing at that crossroads I guess.....
Lee247
SN Fairy Godmother

talizman, the chances of anything being wrong with your child are so remote it is not worth talking about. Just enjoy man.
My kids are 14 and 11, no probs at all, both healthy 7 lbs,

Last edited by Lee247; 03 August 2005 at 12:19 AM. Reason: 7 lbs born, not now <smile>
Soulgirl
Scooby Regular

It is every pregnant womans worry that her baby will not be perfect. She would not be normal if she thought it was all going to be perfect.

Every woman has these thoughts and 99.9% of the time it's something you laugh about once baby arrives.

Of course, if you do have family history then sure, get the tests - if you don't then I think you are worrying unnecessarily. Antenatal care is top notch these days - things are spotted during a pregnancy sooner rather than later.

Enjoy the pregnancy, enjoy her ever expanding girth and attitude and mop her brow during labour
Old 03 August 2005, 12:18 AM
Soulgirl
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by talizman
I think that we will probably end up having the blood test since there is no risk involved with that. At least it will classify our risk and will hopefully put my wife's mind at ease. <he prays>

Depending on the result of that, well, we will cross that bridge when we come to it. There is no point in trying to decide which road we will chose until we are standing at that crossroads I guess.....
Every woman has the AFP test as a matter of course

Quick Reply: Moral dilemma