Powerkites.

Search this Thread

Old 01 August 2005, 03:11 PM
PG
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Powerkites.

Yet another impulse buy
I am just getting in to this so was wondering if anyone can offer some hints and tips.
I am in the process of a house move so my budget is limited.
I have bought a small 2 line and a 4 line too (package deal). I want to do the whole boarding thing eventually but want to get the flying of it down first.
Any sites / forums I should be looking at ?
BTW is it normal for all wind to cease once the guy behind the counter takes your money ?

Cheers

Paul
Old 01 August 2005, 03:20 PM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Received 51 Likes on 34 Posts

Wear boots with good ankle support. I just bought a fantastic pair second hand off a bloke who forgot to wear his and now won't be flying for a long time.
Old 01 August 2005, 03:35 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by PG
BTW is it normal for all wind to cease once the guy behind the counter takes your money ?

Cheers

Paul
yes perfectly normal........

Friend of mine is in his 2 year of this lark and has now got the hang of the kite. He uses a mountain board on parks in london cos its convenient and came down to brighton to give it a go with the 'sea board ' ..
unfortunatley the predicted 11kts turned into 18 ........
he went home to london in a huff. Should have kept his windsurfin board along with the rest o us..
Old 01 August 2005, 04:29 PM
Power Junkie
Scooby Regular

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Just fly as much as you can. but DONT go out if you think it is too windy. I have been flying for about 6 years on land and sea, learn what the kite is like in different conditions until you are ready to start to play (jumping etc). Have fun
Old 01 August 2005, 06:49 PM
ScoobyDoo555
Scooby Regular

Sounds like a great sport, but as others have said - be careful. A student of mine is currently on his back in traction, after breaking several vertibrae when he took off and it slammed him into the ground - lucky to be alive, let alone with the possibility of walking again.....

Dan

edited to add that I'm not a kite instructor, as it could be percieved in my post!!!
Old 01 August 2005, 06:55 PM
Coupe-Se
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by PG
Yet another impulse buy
I am just getting in to this so was wondering if anyone can offer some hints and tips.
I am in the process of a house move so my budget is limited.
I have bought a small 2 line and a 4 line too (package deal). I want to do the whole boarding thing eventually but want to get the flying of it down first.
Any sites / forums I should be looking at ?

Cheers

Paul
THE forum for all things Powerkite related is the Flexi forum:
www.flexifoil.com/community/forums

Its a friendly bunch on there and covers all aspects of Powerkiting. I compete in national Parakart (kite Buggy) Racing events and have been away this last weekend at Hoylake. There is a big event happening in 2 weeks in Ainsdale (Southport) which will be well worth a visit.
There are loads ofd kiting events which are HUGE social events as the community is fairly small and close knit.

The 'Meets' section of the forum will probably have a thread for guys in your area.

It is a highly addictive sport and will cost you alot money once the bug bites you!!! Its definately a sport for adrenilin junkies.