Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

New SIPP & property / land investment scheme

Search this Thread

Old 31 July 2005, 05:34 PM
Dunk
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New SIPP & property / land investment scheme

Anyone managed to understand the details on how it will work ?

D
Old 31 July 2005, 06:56 PM
Deep Singh
Scooby Regular

Try www.SIPPS2006.com. Explains a little more. Remember though proper details not available from the treasury as yet. My idiots understanding is;

You can put up to the total value of your taxable annual income into the SIPP(per year) You will then be given a tax rebate on this!. You can then use this money to buy a residential property of which no more than half the value can be borrowed. The income from this property is then tax free and no CGT to pay.

I'm sure there is lots more small print though.

Sounds very promising, though remember if your total pension pot exceeds £1.5million it will be taxed at 55%!!!!!!!!!!!

Hope that helps a little
Deep
Old 31 July 2005, 07:00 PM
moses
BANNED
Support Scoobynet!

Originally Posted by Deep Singh
Try www.SIPPS2006.com. Explains a little more. Remember though proper details not available from the treasury as yet. My idiots understanding is;

You can put up to the total value of your taxable annual income into the SIPP(per year) You will then be given a tax rebate on this!. You can then use this money to buy a residential property of which no more than half the value can be borrowed. The income from this property is then tax free and no CGT to pay.

I'm sure there is lots more small print though.

Sounds very promising, though remember if your total pension pot exceeds £1.5million it will be taxed at 55%!!!!!!!!!!!

Hope that helps a little
Deep
bros i dont understand it, what is it

so i can buy a house of my choice for 40% less or what

cheers
Old 31 July 2005, 09:52 PM
Deep Singh
Scooby Regular

Not quite matey.

I'm far from an expert but here is my understanding.

Lets say you earn £10k a year. After tax £8k. You put the £8k into a SIPP and the govt adds to that the £2k of tax they took away so you are back to £10k.
You can then use this £10k as a 50% deposit(minimum) to buy a property. The income from the property will be tax free and when you sell the property there will be no 40% capital gains tax to pay.
As you can see, its more beneficial the more tax you pay. So if you pay 40% tax and your £10k becomes £6k after tax the govt gives you £4k back. Also if all the rental income was going to be taxed at 40%( because your job income has already pushed you into that bracket) then its more beneficial.
Downside is you cannot borrow more than 50% to buy hence you need a signifiacnt amount of cash.

Please note this is my own simple understanding of matters and there will be shed loads of small print to consider.

In London/SE this will suit those with £80k in the bank and earning over £80k a year. They can then use the approx £100k they have after rebate to put down as a 50% deposit on an average £200k buy to let.

Hope that makes some sort of sense.

PLEASE NOTE I AM NOT A PROFESSIONAL FINANCIAL TYPE, THIS IS JUST MY TAKE ON THINGS

Deep
Old 31 July 2005, 10:11 PM
moses
BANNED
Support Scoobynet!

Originally Posted by Deep Singh
Not quite matey.

I'm far from an expert but here is my understanding.

Lets say you earn £10k a year. After tax £8k. You put the £8k into a SIPP and the govt adds to that the £2k of tax they took away so you are back to £10k.
You can then use this £10k as a 50% deposit(minimum) to buy a property. The income from the property will be tax free and when you sell the property there will be no 40% capital gains tax to pay.
As you can see, its more beneficial the more tax you pay. So if you pay 40% tax and your £10k becomes £6k after tax the govt gives you £4k back. Also if all the rental income was going to be taxed at 40%( because your job income has already pushed you into that bracket) then its more beneficial.
Downside is you cannot borrow more than 50% to buy hence you need a signifiacnt amount of cash.

Please note this is my own simple understanding of matters and there will be shed loads of small print to consider.

In London/SE this will suit those with £80k in the bank and earning over £80k a year. They can then use the approx £100k they have after rebate to put down as a 50% deposit on an average £200k buy to let.

Hope that makes some sort of sense.

PLEASE NOTE I AM NOT A PROFESSIONAL FINANCIAL TYPE, THIS IS JUST MY TAKE ON THINGS

Deep
no probs bros thanks for the explanation
Old 31 July 2005, 10:29 PM
Dunk
Scooby Regular

Thks for the link, still a heap load of detail to be disclosed but indications are looking good, just need to understand how many stings are in the tail.

D
Old 31 July 2005, 11:30 PM
Tiggs
Scooby Regular

dont forget you wont own the property...the pension trustees will.

T
Old 01 August 2005, 10:19 AM
Newbie123
Scooby Regular

Just to add, If it's your main residence that you put into the pension fund then you'll have to pay rent to the pension fund for the use of your own house.
Old 01 August 2005, 10:36 AM
Tiggs
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Newbie123
Just to add, If it's your main residence that you put into the pension fund then you'll have to pay rent to the pension fund for the use of your own house.

you would also be nuts as its not yor house anymore but the pension funds......fancy asking the trustees if you can do some DIY?
Old 01 August 2005, 11:36 AM
Deep Singh
Scooby Regular

Hi Tiggs, this is what I was hoping to ask you about.

What exactly do you mean by the trustees owning it? Who are the trustees? What are their powers?

Many thanks
Deep
Old 01 August 2005, 11:40 AM
Robert Rosario
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Newbie123
And stamp duty on the transfer of property to pension scheme away from your private ownership.
Old 01 August 2005, 12:15 PM
Tiggs
Scooby Regular

whoever administers the SIPP fund for you (depends which company you use) will be the pension trustees. They will set tougher guidlines on what can happen to a property they hold in your SIPP than you would as a landlord (probably).

why you would do it with main residence when its already CGT free is beyond me!
Old 01 August 2005, 05:52 PM
Deep Singh
Scooby Regular

Thanks Tiggs. No plans to put main residence into SIPP, makes no sense!

Can I ask you a couple more?

1) Are there any recognised/reputable companies that administer SIPPs? What do they charge?

2) If I put a property into one in Apr2006 that is worth £100k but in ten years time is worth over £1.5m, does that mean it will be taxed at 55% or is there some kind of indexation?

Many thanks
Deep
Old 01 August 2005, 06:17 PM
Deep Singh
Scooby Regular

One more question.

I've read somewhere that all mortgage payments must be met from the fund. Does that mean that one needs the next 15 years mortgage payments already in the fund aswell as the 50% deposit??

Deep
Old 02 August 2005, 05:58 PM
Deep Singh
Scooby Regular

Tiggs?
Old 02 August 2005, 06:45 PM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Received 51 Likes on 34 Posts

When you say property, can this be land? I'm close to buying a field and this would be a bonus.
Old 02 August 2005, 07:56 PM
Deep Singh
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by JackClark
When you say property, can this be land? I'm close to buying a field and this would be a bonus.
Not sure tbh, but rules for residential prop do not come into force until April2006
Old 02 August 2005, 08:03 PM
Tiggs
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by JackClark

DS....sorry about the delay...will answer tommorow.

JC....when the asset goes in the SIPP its owned by the pension...NOT you...even if you could put the field ina SIPP (no idea if you can) not sure you would want to under those circumstances.
Old 02 August 2005, 09:22 PM
Deep Singh
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Thanks Tiggs

Deep
Old 02 August 2005, 11:19 PM
Dunk
Scooby Regular

JC - (field sounds v familiar ) All info I've seen mentions non depreciating assets, which clearly land is. (unless you're getting an oil field or a mine ) Although all the examples make no mention of land being an option.

If land can be put into a SIPP, I was thinking about imposing a covenant on it before transferring to the SIPP to pass to me a % of any future value increase, resulting from a change of use (agric to resid and therefore big ££££'s). This would allow me to dictate the recipient of the gain, rather than locking it into the SIPP.

Food for thought !

D