Driving bans

Search this Thread

Old 29 July 2005, 06:11 PM
Jap2Scrap
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Driving bans

Something puzzles me...

I've just read in the local rag about a 15yr old lad who'd been done for TWOC and driving with no insurance. Part of his punishment is a 1 year driving ban.

Now I'd always assumed that in these instances, of which the frequency seems to be increasing, the ban would come into effect the minute he passed his test. To be fair I'd never really thought that deeply about it as to question that assumption.

Anyway, I mentioned the case to my better half and she asked how the ban worked. Being a smartass I confidently said that it was suspended until he got a licence and then it came into effect so he'd basically have to take his test again a year later. Being female, she obviously saw through my confidence and asked how he could get his licence without getting a provisional licence first, and indeed, why should he be allowed to drive on a provvy if he was looking at a ban.

It was at this point I mumbled something about needing a shower and escaped upstairs but now she's gone shopping it's safe for me to ask on here so I can look clever again when she gets home

So then wise ones; how does a years driving ban work on a 15yr old?
Old 29 July 2005, 06:32 PM
mart360
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Jap2Scrap
Something puzzles me...

I've just read in the local rag about a 15yr old lad who'd been done for TWOC and driving with no insurance. Part of his punishment is a 1 year driving ban.

Now I'd always assumed that in these instances, of which the frequency seems to be increasing, the ban would come into effect the minute he passed his test. To be fair I'd never really thought that deeply about it as to question that assumption.

Anyway, I mentioned the case to my better half and she asked how the ban worked. Being a smartass I confidently said that it was suspended until he got a licence and then it came into effect so he'd basically have to take his test again a year later. Being female, she obviously saw through my confidence and asked how he could get his licence without getting a provisional licence first, and indeed, why should he be allowed to drive on a provvy if he was looking at a ban.

It was at this point I mumbled something about needing a shower and escaped upstairs but now she's gone shopping it's safe for me to ask on here so I can look clever again when she gets home

So then wise ones; how does a years driving ban work on a 15yr old?
when he applys for his provisional it arrives complete with ban endorsing code on it..

he cant get driving lessons without showing it to a driving school..

if he chooses to start without it then he,s a banned motorist..

M
Old 29 July 2005, 06:40 PM
Jap2Scrap
Scooby Regular

Right, so let's say he applies for a provisional moped licence at 16. By the time he's 17 he'll have served the ban and can start driving lessons ok? Doesn't seem like much of a punishment to me.
Old 29 July 2005, 10:28 PM
mw2655
Scooby Regular

unfortunately lack of a licence, ownership of the car or insurance etc probably isn't going to stop this "lad" driving again.

not much point the punishment being banning someone from something they are already not allowed to do.
Old 30 July 2005, 07:56 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

I'd have thought its a hell of a punishment when you are 16 and all your mates have got mopeds.

Les