Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

side swiped a patrol car, nearly!

Search this Thread

Old 26 July 2005, 12:27 AM
cw42
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default side swiped a patrol car, nearly!

Going to work, in the wifes fiesta , off the motorway, onto the slip road, roundabout lights all green, slow down, into the 30mph zone at 30, look right, as I always do, and.................whoooooooosh.................. ........blue flashing lights right in front of me, braked to stop me going into the side of him.
The patrol car must have been doing at least 50 on the roundabout, didn't slow for his red lights at all, then did the same thing at the next set of red lights, straight through, no slow down.
Although he had his lights flashing, no sirens at all.
Am I right in thinking that officers on an emergency call must still obey all traffic laws? Obviously he's not going to actually STOP at the lights, but steaming through at speed in a 30 is taking a big risk, I hope the call was worth it.

And while I'm here, I may as well complain about the brain dead woman who parked outside my kids school today on the zig-zag lines. I myself parked further down the road on double yellows, well away from the school though (double standards I know )
I watched as loads of parents walked past her, tutting and shaking their heads in derision, but no-one challenged her. So I goes over and asked her why she was parked within 20 yards of the crossing lady and on the zig-zag lines? "I'm waiting for someone" came the reply!
FFS, we're all waiting for someone you dozy bint, that is the point of coming here at this time of day!
I said my piece and went into the playground. I heard later that after my outburst, the crossing lady actually had to ask her to move on
Ah well, only 2 more days of that to go, then the little angels are home for 6 weeks

Rant over, I'm off to do some work
chris.
Old 26 July 2005, 07:59 AM
TonyFlow
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

IIRC, emergency services still owe a duty of care to other road users when in emergency situations, that is to say, they can be at fault if an accident happens. In your case, I think both drivers would have been apportioned with some element of "blame".