Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

London is very quiet!

Search this Thread

Old 24 July 2005, 11:22 AM
Chip
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default London is very quiet!

Went up to London on Friday to collect my nipper from the Eurostar in Waterloo. The whole area around the Embankment was just so quiet compared to normal. London Eye staff were even outside touting for business and there were no queues whatsoever to get a ride either which is unusual.

All the usually busy areas were very quiet as well. I nipped in McD's in Leicester Sq at 12.30pm for a pi$$ and there were just 6 ppl in there which at that time is amazing.

Heard very few yanks either during the day. Looks like they've done their usual thing and crawled under a stone because their scared.

Personally it did'nt bother me at all to be strolling around London or using the tube, even when there was an amber alert and we were kicked off the tube in Victoria at about 10.30am, though I must admit I was looking about for any jittery looking ethnics carrying rucksacks.

There didnt seem to be a large police presence on the tube though as I expected. Quite to the contrary in fact. Only a few stations seemed to have more than the usual amount of police about.

It doesnt surprise me that London is quiet in the aftermath of 2 weeks ago and with events since, so why are the politicians, Livingstone etc telling us it wont affect the capital when it clearly already has.

Suppose there will be quiet a few cheap weekend breaks though to try to get a people into the hotels.

Chip
Old 24 July 2005, 11:33 AM
KiwiGTI
Scooby Regular

Quiet? I was on Oxford St yesterday and had to get it out, it was just too crowded and busy.
Old 24 July 2005, 11:37 AM
Petem95
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by chip
though I must admit I was looking about for any jittery looking ethnics carrying rucksacks.
I have to admit I was the same when I was in London last Thursday - I was walking along and there was an Indian with a huge rucksack, and also pushing one of those big suitcase type things on wheels - couldve carried quite a payload

Everyone seemed to be giving him a wide berth....
Old 24 July 2005, 11:47 AM
GCollier
Scooby Regular

Seemed like business as usual on Friday night. Full pubs, full restaurants and the usual hassle getting a free taxi.

Gary.
Old 24 July 2005, 12:30 PM
rr_ww
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Petem95
I have to admit I was the same when I was in London last Thursday - I was walking along and there was an Indian with a huge rucksack, and also pushing one of those big suitcase type things on wheels - couldve carried quite a payload

Everyone seemed to be giving him a wide berth....

Heard a story that made me smile.

Basically, when one of the attempted devices failed to go off. (just the det part) And the guy was lying on the floor shocked wondering why. Member of the public went and asked him if he was alright as they didnt think he was a bomber.

So basically, you'll never spot one until its too late. I imagine that any future attacks will be strapped to bodies rather than in a rucksack. Hope there isnt any mind.
Old 24 July 2005, 02:22 PM
Chip
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by KiwiGTI
Quiet? I was on Oxford St yesterday and had to get it out
Get what out exactly

Chip
Old 24 July 2005, 05:23 PM
Apparition
Scooby Regular

Hmmm was wondering exactly the same thing.
Yve