Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

PayPal want my bank a/c details - is this OK?

Search this Thread

Old 20 July 2005, 08:10 PM
RaymondH
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question PayPal want my bank a/c details - is this OK?

PayPal want me to validate my account by giving them my bank account details. I'm always suspicious of this since being sent a request for the same info which turned out to be an ebay scam - luckily I didn't send them. Is this normal PayPal procedure?
Old 20 July 2005, 08:11 PM
Petem95
Scooby Regular

No, its a scam.
Old 20 July 2005, 08:13 PM
mart360
Scooby Regular

Talking

email paypal yourself and ask them

www.paypal.com

odd you mistrust an email from one company, but ask a million strangers for advice..

you actually need to give your details to me so i can validtae them for u

i have a nigerian who has a cheque you can chash

M
Angry
Scooby Regular

When you sign up online they do take your bank account details so they can make a "check" transaction on it.

They take two payments totalling under one pound and put a reference code against each one, you then go and get a statement from your bank, log back into paypal and punch the reference codes in. Your account is then validated to send/receive money.
stilover
Scooby Regular

For christ's sake, don't give them your bank details.
I got a few of these before. Send the email to `Paypal`, you'll get it off the official site.
Old 20 July 2005, 08:17 PM
Echo
Scooby Regular

You do need to verify your details by providing bank account details if you want to transfer over £1,500 (or something like that) in total. You only do this when on their site by navigating directly to it, do not ever do this by following a link via email!

By doing this you can show that you are who you say you are. They also follow a few other steps such as you giving them your phone number and they ring with a message that you type in to confirm etc etc.

Mike
Old 20 July 2005, 08:22 PM
RaymondH
Scooby Regular

Angry - That's exactly what they said they would do

Mart360 - I didn't trust the ebay one because it was an email and I remembered that ebay said that they would never ask for this info. The Paypal one came up after I made a payment and they also (separately) asked me to sign up to an updated site (which I haven't done yet yet either). The 2 requests were unconnected, if you see what I mean.
Old 20 July 2005, 08:27 PM
Angry
Scooby Regular

If the request was triggered when using their site its fine
Old 20 July 2005, 08:27 PM
mart360
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by RaymondH
Angry - That's exactly what they said they would do

Mart360 - I didn't trust the ebay one because it was an email and I remembered that ebay said that they would never ask for this info. The Paypal one came up after I made a payment and they also (separately) asked me to sign up to an updated site (which I haven't done yet yet either). The 2 requests were unconnected, if you see what I mean.

paypal always ask you to log in using a fresh browser window using www.paypal.com never click a clicky unless its from a genuine ebay page (ie a completed sale you have won)

M
Old 20 July 2005, 08:28 PM
moses
BANNED
Support Scoobynet!

mate verify your account while your in the paypal secure site mate

then its cool
Old 20 July 2005, 08:31 PM
Celox Performance
Scooby Regular

forward the email to spoof@paypal.com from the Paypal website and see what they say. They usually reply within the hour to say whether it's fake or otherwise. I get 5-10 fake emails a day from Paypal so just be very careful.
Old 20 July 2005, 08:32 PM
Celox Performance
Scooby Regular

forward the email to spoof@paypal.com from the Paypal website and see what they say. They usually reply within the hour to say whether it's fake or otherwise. I get 5-10 fake emails a day supposedly from Paypal so just be very careful.
Old 20 July 2005, 08:33 PM
Angry
Scooby Regular

He didnt get an e-mail, read post 7
Old 20 July 2005, 09:25 PM
jono300
Scooby Regular

I take it all spoof paypal sites / webpages wont have the secure server padlock sign at the bottom off the page ??

have just singed up with paypal earlier today myself, received an email from paypal themselves and was advised to click on link to activate account.but will take always be aware off this fact in future and enter paypal website from a new browser as opposed to a link in an email.

also used the telephone checking method for my card, but appears I now also have to enter my bank account details as well to have them checked out, will then have my account offical approved !!!

was advised on an earlier thread I made regarding paypal on here today that a small sum off cash would be debited from my visa account and this transaction along with a secuity code would be obviously shown on my visa card statment which I would then give back to paypal to confirm who I say I am, but dont see this particular checking method on the site ?? just the one the previous thread mentions regards checking your actual bank account details given, anyone know about the card method ??

also,says I can use paypal just now whilst waitting on account being approved, but not sure how much I can spend yet ?? anyone ??
Old 21 July 2005, 07:42 AM
druddle
Scooby Regular

Paypal will ask for your bank account details when you login if you have carried out more than 500 quids worth of transactions. Then you pay direct from your account for things and not from a debit card.

DAve