Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Air Compressors - Whats The Story?

Search this Thread

Old 09 July 2005, 12:24 PM
Puff The Magic Wagon!
Support Scoobynet!

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Air Compressors - Whats The Story?

Thinking about getting one for tyres & impact gun etc. Nothing professional, just something that I can plug in to a socket, do what I need to do, unplug & walk away.

Any recommendations? What do I need to look for, consider or otherwise be aware of?

25 litre, 8 bar off eBay do me or should I be looking at something "bigger"?

Thanks

Puff
Old 09 July 2005, 12:50 PM
john_s
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think primarily it's more important to consider how much air they can shift than the pressure they can run to or how much compressed air they store, especially if you are going to run them for a while.

Some tools (impact wrenches, spray guns, etc) can use a lot of air.

I have 2 compressors; a baby one which struggles to pump tyres up but works the small nail gun well, and a medium sized one (14cfm V2) that is best for everything else.

John.
Old 09 July 2005, 04:55 PM
dsmith
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Puff - basically its down to how much sustained flow of air you need.

I have a 25L entry level job. Does "enough" for most diy jobs and small car restoration jobs. However theres no way it can keep up with "proper" air tools. meaning you have to wait for it to catch up and keep the tank at enough pressure over what you need.

So I can happily use my air nibbler in short bursts to cut sheet steel but do a long run and you have to pause and wait. (Crap if you were trying making money out of it - not really an issue for the occasional home user). I have concerns that when it comes to spraying my MG it will struggle too much. If I was buying again now I'd get a 50L tank and beefier motor - but then when I frst bought it my garage was significantly smaller.

Copes happily with my air chisel to chase walls for channels etc. Small enough to easily wheel round the cars for tyres. With a bigger one you need lots more hose as they're more impractical to move around.