London/British "spirit"

Search this Thread

Old 08 July 2005, 11:37 AM
Tiggs
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default London/British "spirit"

Whats that all about?

There seems a lot of talk about "we wont be let them win" style British spirit. Does that really exist?

Yesterday if you got blown up then you lost, if you lost a family member you aren't feeling very good about it...........and millions just watch on TV and are uneffected by media overload.

What do other places do that makes us different? do they just stay indoors and hide? Seems an odd attitude for people not directly involved to say "we wont be beaten" when they weren't in the game......if im sat at home minus a loved one i wont appreciate The Suns "we can take it, we're British" nonsense.

It seems the reason they wont "win" is because they cant kill all of us.....not some sort of bomb proof stiff upper lip we all have!.............and yesterday they won anyway- in their goal for the day.

This country is like Rocky in an early round....."that dunt hurrrrt.....that dunt hurrrrt" while he gets pounded to bits by Clubber Lang. You know Rocky will win in the end but he still fights like a muppet and explaining that the blood pouring out of his head is no big deal doesnt make him look any better.

T
Old 08 July 2005, 11:40 AM
davegtt
Scooby Senior

OK we'll be quiet and roll over saying we lost.... what do you want them to say?
Old 08 July 2005, 11:47 AM
Tiggs
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by davegtt
OK we'll be quiet and roll over saying we lost.... what do you want them to say?

good question....dont know!

but the "cowards cant beat us" stuff (which is all over the press) seems inappropriate when there are dead and wounded people who cant really be classed as having won and those not touch by the events who never were involved.
Old 08 July 2005, 11:51 AM
davegtt
Scooby Senior

but the point is nobody has won, even though their plan probably went off without a hitch and they did what they intended to. theres that famous saying.

you might have won the battle but you havent won the war. and I believe nobody will ever win. we'll never stop the threat of terrorists and they'll never change anything for their own good....

think its just a message to those who caused yesterdays disaster to say you may try but it'll get you knowhere.

Obviously there will be the few who feel they have "lost" by losing a life/family/friend etc but it doesnt change anything the terrorists are setting out to do in the long run.
Old 08 July 2005, 12:00 PM
Tiggs
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by davegtt

think its just a message to those who caused yesterdays disaster to say you may try but it'll get you knowhere.

i agree...pity is so hyped as it comes accross as badly as the terrorists quote that we were living in fear. Clearly we arent.......but being so "hooo harrr" and is daft when the whole city was brought to a standstill and the baddies got exactlly what they wanted.

a better headline would be "that was a disgusting thing to do and we'll hunt you down"
Old 08 July 2005, 12:03 PM
Patt@firstime
Scooby Regular

Another good headline would be £10,000,000 for information leading to capture of the terrorsits - Big newspaper I know
Old 08 July 2005, 12:05 PM
Diablo
Scooby Regular

Agreed Mark.

Yesterday they won, on the simple basis of Terrorists 50 (at least), British security forces nil

But the whole point of it is to keep spirits up as far as the population in general is concerned.

What they really mean is

"We know we're a bit fcuked here, and the chances of catching the bad guys are slim, but we'll give it a good shot. With a bit of luck, we'll take out a few along the way but, realistically, we can never erradicate it all"

But that doesn't sound so positive and its not what people want to hear.

Last time I checked, it was nearly 4 years since Bin laden's crew killed thousands and he still hadn't been caught....

Trending Topics

Old 08 July 2005, 04:56 PM
PG
Scooby Regular

Our press seem to be the best weapon the terrorists have.
That lot may be able to blow up a bus but our press can blow everything WAY out of proportion !!
Old 08 July 2005, 05:13 PM
Apparition
Scooby Regular

PG >>>> that is just what I thought when I saw this morning's paper. Bet the cowards responsible for yesterday's outrage (NOTE : I won't give them the much desired terrorist tag), are laughing to themselves and patting themselves on the back. All that fame and publicity.
I know it's what sells papers but why oh why do they play into these barstewards hands every time ? It was the same with the IRA. Glory through the media.
Makes me sick to the stomache.
Yve
Old 08 July 2005, 05:22 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

I see us as being different in that in four years time we still won't be harping on about this, we will have moved on, unlike a certain country I could mention

We will try and find them, but, no doubt they'll do the same thing as the cowards in spain, when they found they were cornered; Pray to their deity and then blow themselves up in the name of that deity, destroying propertly and (hopefully not though) lives as they do it.
Old 08 July 2005, 05:24 PM
Cyberevo
Scooby Regular

Probably comes from the 'Rule Britania' days.....
Old 08 July 2005, 05:34 PM
PG
Scooby Regular

Talking

Originally Posted by Markus
I see us as being different in that in four years time we still won't be harping on about this, we will have moved on, unlike a certain country I could mention
FFS its 39 years on and you lot are still going on about winning the world cup !! Fickle...nah, never.
Old 08 July 2005, 05:36 PM
Scoob99
Scooby Regular

In one sentance Paul, You just wern't good enough
Old 08 July 2005, 07:16 PM
mart360
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Tiggs
Whats that all about?

There seems a lot of talk about "we wont be let them win" style British spirit. Does that really exist?

Yesterday if you got blown up then you lost, if you lost a family member you aren't feeling very good about it...........and millions just watch on TV and are uneffected by media overload.

What do other places do that makes us different? do they just stay indoors and hide? Seems an odd attitude for people not directly involved to say "we wont be beaten" when they weren't in the game......if im sat at home minus a loved one i wont appreciate The Suns "we can take it, we're British" nonsense.

It seems the reason they wont "win" is because they cant kill all of us.....not some sort of bomb proof stiff upper lip we all have!.............and yesterday they won anyway- in their goal for the day.

This country is like Rocky in an early round....."that dunt hurrrrt.....that dunt hurrrrt" while he gets pounded to bits by Clubber Lang. You know Rocky will win in the end but he still fights like a muppet and explaining that the blood pouring out of his head is no big deal doesnt make him look any better.

T
Ask adolf hitler ..

seem to recall that the invasion plan he had for us failed despite the bombing he threw at us, unlike other european states who were overrun. we stood up to him and won, oh and we twatted him a goodun too. that was in that days when you could fight back!!!

try it today, and we,d be paying sh*t loads in compo for hurt feelings..

i forgot your only a baby tiggs so british hisort isnt exactly high on your list

LOL
M
Old 09 July 2005, 04:23 PM
MattN
Scooby Regular

Mart360,

Your confused here. WW2 was a war between countries. I.e. we had to declare war on them as they were invading us. Whilst we wage a 'war 'on terror it is different. For the most part it's simply they don't like our capitalist views. They don't want our land or to rule us, they want to chnage our beliefs. your saying we should bomb the country of origin in to submission as we did in WW2, which is precisley what we are fighting against.

What Tiggs is saying is we give them what they want publicity for there cause. We then make asses of ourselves by saying 'business as usual' except all TV programs have been cancelled for special 4 hour long newsnight specials etc.!
Old 09 July 2005, 04:46 PM
Tiggs
Scooby Regular

ne na ne na...RETARD POLICE.......mart 36-, you have no idea what my history (note how its spelt) knowledge is...so screw you (wont bother with your post as matt has rubbished it already)

markus.....twin towers was FAR worse than this week.......if the bombers did EXACTLLY the same attack every day from now until the end of August...then you would have a death toll to compare (and i bet you ppl wouldnt forget that in a hurry)
Old 09 July 2005, 05:51 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

One day when you have had a bit more experience of life Tiggs, you may understand what is meant by the "British Spirit".

You will not realise what people had to undergo during WW2 when bombs were droppped every night and whole streets of houses used to disappear including the people living in them. In spite of those fearful experiences the survivors used to pitch in to help those who had been hit and also turn up for work regardless to show that they would not be subjugated.

It was down to resisting all that was thrown at them and also thinking of others who were not so fortunate. The sort of thing that was displayed by many people during this recent terrorist activity.

At your present state of maturity it looks like you take all that as a sign of weakness.

Les
Old 09 July 2005, 06:57 PM
mart360
Scooby Regular

Tiggs...

bend over, hold you ankles, and kiss your **** good bye...

ffs... one day your utopian dream will be rudley interrupted... and i will **** myslf laughing when it does...

M
Old 09 July 2005, 07:04 PM
mart360
Scooby Regular

oh and i forgot to add...

so come on then smartarse... whats your game plan....

talk them into submission... "naughty boys, you mus,nt do that sort of thing"

in short the message we send out is the same as in ww2

f*ck you!!!

prehaps you need to get some of the history books that billy has strived to erase...

we took the **** out of adolf made up songs, and wernt cowed by what he did no matter how bad!!!!
unfortunatly it gave people like you the freedom you have today, its a crying shame that you cant use it properly

i forgot under Nl we cant take the ****, make up songs and ridicule them, as they,d be liable for compo... its there right innit!!!!!

Leslie, when the big bird gets going again i can suggest some longs and lats that may be worth visiting!!

M
Old 09 July 2005, 08:01 PM
GC8
Scooby Regular

Bloody Hell! This thread's the same.....
Old 09 July 2005, 09:53 PM
RedFive
Scooby Regular

Talking

Originally Posted by mart360
oh and i forgot to add...
<drivel>
M
Erm, may I suggest both a reading and a typing course ?

I take it you did fight in WW2 though, kewl.

Just a bit strange you start to whine when the BBS is a bit slow, I thought soldiers like you would be a bit "tougher" ?
Old 09 July 2005, 10:14 PM
mart360
Scooby Regular

R5..

grow up.... if you want to be a nambypamby Nl treehugging a*rselicker, thats up to you..

if you arnt going to contribute anything to the thread bugger off

m
Old 09 July 2005, 11:12 PM
RedFive
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by mart360
R5..

grow up.... if you want to be a nambypamby Nl treehugging a*rselicker, thats up to you..

if you arnt going to contribute anything to the thread bugger off

m
Been here longer than you, will stay longer as well.

So I take it you didn't fight in WWII ? All words dude, just words.

Did you actually read what Tiggs wrote or is that Stella ruining your puny brain again ?

And I didn't exactly lick your @rse, I kicked it.

Toodle pip !
Old 10 July 2005, 01:00 AM
Tiggs
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by RedFive
Did you actually read what Tiggs wrote

whats this? comedy hour?
Old 10 July 2005, 10:10 AM
RedFive
Scooby Regular