Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

How to we react to the attacks?

Search this Thread

Old 07 July 2005, 04:01 PM
CoobyS
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question How to we react to the attacks?

Do we take it on the chin and say 'We won't be defeated'?

Or do we look at the reasons why we are targets and go ways to solving the problems, e.g. changing our stance on invading countries with loyalists/terrorists ready to revenge?

Or maybe something else?

What are your thoughts...
Old 07 July 2005, 04:02 PM
Brendan Hughes
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Last edited by Brendan Hughes; 07 July 2005 at 04:06 PM.
Old 07 July 2005, 04:05 PM
Nicci
Scooby Senior

London stood up pretty well when the IRA used it as a target.

We can get through this.
Old 07 July 2005, 04:08 PM
davegtt
Scooby Senior

Stand our ground....

we wasnt in Iraq or Afganistan when the WTC got attacked.....
Old 07 July 2005, 04:08 PM
skoda_kid
Scooby Regular

Credit to our emergency services i say. This is something that no one can prepare for, as no one knows exactly what will hapeen, but our emergency services were very professional and efficient.

Could of been alot worse, and maybe it isnt over, but we took it as it came, and have come out standing tall
Old 07 July 2005, 04:09 PM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

We can get through it, but we also, along with the Americans, have to realise that the middle east terrorist threat is largely of our own making.
Old 07 July 2005, 04:10 PM
Apparition
Scooby Regular

Just going to say something along Brendan's lines...... ie. They certainly got our attention didn't they ?
Sadly, the cowards who are responsible for such heinous crimes as today's are insidious and are very difficult to apprehend before the crime. It befalls us all to be watchful and observant, rather be thought a fool for over-reacting than keep quiet and see another disaster like this morning.
Yve
Old 07 July 2005, 04:10 PM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by davegtt
Stand our ground....

No, but America has a long history of messing about in the middle east, pitting Iran against Iraq, supplying arms to both sides. Not saying too much when Israel gives the Palestinians a kicking etc.
Old 07 July 2005, 04:11 PM
scoobynutta555
Scooby Regular

Location: Markyate.Imprezas owned:-wrx-sti5typeR-p1-uk22b-modded my00. Amongst others!
Exclamation

Originally Posted by Nicci
London stood up pretty well when the IRA used it as a target.

We can get through this.
Trouble is with that, the IRA primeraly targeted property (in London) and issued warnings before blowing bombs off. The religious nuts dont issue warnings and walk around strapped in dynamite intent on numbers of kills rather than "structural " damage etc.

This is a whole different ball game of terrorism, and the public wnt have the stomach for their own blood on everyday commute buses in the UK.

I dont recall too many suicide bombers in the IRA ranks either.
Old 07 July 2005, 04:12 PM
Jap2Scrap
Scooby Regular

Gotta say, this might just set back the government's plans to push us all on to public transport. After all, when was the last time somebody suicide bombed a car?

Back On Topic..

I don't think we need do anything really other than be vigilant. There's little anyone can do to prevent this kind of thing.
Old 07 July 2005, 04:14 PM
gsm1
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by davegtt
Stand our ground....

They'd been trying to bomb the WTC since 10 years before 9/11. That was because of America's foreign policy.
We had nothing to do with any of this until Blair & Bush used 9/11 to invade Iraq, which had nothing to do with terrorism. As soon as we entered in with the USA in Iraq our card was marked.
Old 07 July 2005, 04:15 PM
Aztec Performance Ltd
Former Sponsor

We'll get through it.

Shouldnt have opened the door to terror by invading other countries needlessly though.

Bob
Old 07 July 2005, 04:15 PM
davegtt
Scooby Senior

If we pull out of places like Iraq stuff like this isnt just going to stop....well at least I dont think it will... Been a horrific day but we owe a responsibility to those innocents in Iraq that we helped to destroy their lives and country to help get the place rolling again.
Old 07 July 2005, 04:17 PM
davegtt
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by gsm1
They'd been trying to bomb the WTC since 10 years before 9/11. That was because of America's foreign policy.
We had nothing to do with any of this until Blair & Bush used 9/11 to invade Iraq, which had nothing to do with terrorism. As soon as we entered in with the USA in Iraq our card was marked.
the bombing of the WTC was used as an excuse to invade Afganistan. Iraq was for a different reason, I didnt agree with it and I still dont but I still believe its our responsibility to help put it right
Old 07 July 2005, 04:18 PM
jasey
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by Jap2Scrap
I don't think we need do anything really other than be vigilant. There's little anyone can do to prevent this kind of thing.
Hmmm.
Maybe we should stop releasing known terrorists into the community.

If we find known terorrists maybe we should lock them up.

Maybe we should allow phone tapping as evidence against them rather than worrying about their "human rights".

Would be a start !
Old 07 July 2005, 04:19 PM
Brendan Hughes
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

Originally Posted by scoobynutta555
Trouble is with that, the IRA primeraly targeted property (in London) and issued warnings before blowing bombs off. The religious nuts dont issue warnings and walk around strapped in dynamite intent on numbers of kills rather than "structural " damage etc.

Did you notice one of the last sentences of their press release?

http://bbs.scoobynet.co.uk/showpost....&postcount=365

"He who warns is excused".

Someone's been reading their Koran so they can give themselves a get out of eternal damnation free card.
Old 07 July 2005, 04:20 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

We'll just get on with it, as we have done in the past when the IRA, or some other group has bombed London, or other cities.

I hope that this holds true and we don't have the same reaction the US had and still has to 9/11. Wailing in the streets, tighter, nay, more insane security measures, and still going on and on and on and on and on and on (repeat a billion plus times until the end of time) about 9/11 / war on terror / iraq / Saddam / Bin laden

As said, I think we'll do what we have always done, we survived a massive ariel bombing campaign during the second world war, I'm sure we can survive some loonies causing havoc with a few bombs (I am not belitting the loss of life here, it is tragic)

OK, so it's somewhat different, then again, not so different... Devestation, heartache, rebuilding, making things right again.
Old 07 July 2005, 04:23 PM
Jap2Scrap
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jasey
Hmmm.

Maybe we should allow phone tapping as evidence against them rather than worrying about their "human rights".

Would be a start !
For me, some of that is covered by my interpretation of vigilant....

The trouble is that "human rights" ARE an issue! You can't have one rule for some and not for others so unless you don't mind the idea of your phone being tapped on a random basis you have to draw the line somewhere before that.

Of course, you might be saying just tap the phones of Muslims/Immigrants/Irishmen and that opens a whole new can of worms.
Old 07 July 2005, 04:27 PM
MJW
Scooby Senior

Gotta say, this might just set back the government's plans to push us all on to public transport. After all, when was the last time somebody suicide bombed a car?
Yesterday ?
Brendan Hughes
Scooby Regular

Many countries' laws on phone tapping in Europe have been much relaxed since 9/11.
jasey
Scooby Senior

For me, some of that is covered by my interpretation of vigilant....

The trouble is that "human rights" ARE an issue! You can't have one rule for some and not for others so unless you don't mind the idea of your phone being tapped on a random basis you have to draw the line somewhere before that.

Of course, you might be saying just tap the phones of Muslims/Immigrants/Irishmen and that opens a whole new can of worms.
Tapping phones of suspected terrorists is fine in my book - couldn't give a flying **** what colour/gender/sexual preference/nationality the w@nkers are. The tapping of phones goes on already - the Issue is allowing it as evidence in court !

I'd be willing to bet that the purpotrators of these attacks are known to the authorities in some shape or form
Old 07 July 2005, 04:28 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

I personally feel that anyone living in the UK, legally or illegally that starts going on about how the west/UK is evil and that people should rise up against the evil should be kicked out of the country immediatley. They seem happy to live in our country and live on our benefit system, or even pay taxes, so it can't be that evil, can it.

You don't like it? **** off somewhere else and take your hatred with you.

Anyway, I digress. We will get through this, in a years time there will be a rememberance of it, but we won't be harping on and on and on about it, as we are used to this kind of thing, what with the campagins by the IRA. It's not nice, but we'll survive.
Old 07 July 2005, 04:36 PM
Jap2Scrap
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Markus
Anyway, I digress. We will get through this, in a years time there will be a rememberance of it, but we won't be harping on and on and on about it, as we are used to this kind of thing, what with the campagins by the IRA. It's not nice, but we'll survive.
Something I heard in a radio interview which put a wry smile on my face was a montage of interviews with eyewitnesses of the bus explosion. They interviewed some Brits at the scene and they were calmly and compassionately describing the attrocity. Then they interviewed a holidaying American couple and you'd have thought a nuke had been dropped on the city. It's no surprise considering 9/11 is rammed down their throats at every opportunity.
Old 07 July 2005, 04:39 PM
jasey
Scooby Senior

Something I heard in a radio interview which put a wry smile on my face was a montage of interviews with eyewitnesses of the bus explosion. They interviewed some Brits at the scene and they were calmly and compassionately describing the attrocity. Then they interviewed a holidaying American couple and you'd have thought a nuke had been dropped on the city. It's no surprise considering 9/11 is rammed down their throats at every opportunity.
Aye - It's not like we've been knocked out of the world cup on penalties or something important .

You are aware we just had a "celebration" of beating the French / Spanish 200 years ago aren't you .
Old 07 July 2005, 04:40 PM
Jap2Scrap
Scooby Regular

Aye - It's not like we've been knocked out of the world cup on penalties or something important .

You are aware we just had a "celebration" of beating the French / Spanish 200 years ago aren't you .
Yep, but do we celebrate it every year?
Old 07 July 2005, 04:41 PM
bigJoe
Scooby Regular

How do we react???

Go on the offensive…….

The G8 are meeting now, they should isolate those countries that sponsor or are complicit with terrorist groups – no trade, no travel, no aid – nothing – see how long they can hold out (yea I know we get oil from Iran)

The government needs to get tough with home grown terrorist/sympathizers. Lock ‘em up until they can’t cause any trouble – they’re guilty by association

On a more positive note it looks like the emergency services are doing a terrific job getting things back to normal.
Old 07 July 2005, 04:42 PM
jasey
Scooby Senior

Yep, but do we celebrate it every year?
I Do
Old 07 July 2005, 04:43 PM
Jap2Scrap
Scooby Regular

I Do
Fair Play! PMSL
Old 07 July 2005, 04:55 PM
gareth123
Scooby Regular

A good start would be to deport the list of 'iffy people' we're keeping an eye on. Kabul would be suitable, they can be pissed off at the West from there.

We need to stop pussyfooting around now. The time for touchy-feely political correctness has passed.
Old 07 July 2005, 04:58 PM
Aztec Performance Ltd
Former Sponsor

Hmmm.

Would be a start !
nonsense

Quick Reply: How to we react to the attacks?