Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

91 milligrams in 100 - 12,18,24 months?

Search this Thread

Old 07 July 2005, 01:09 PM
EddScott
Scooby Regular

Received 64 Likes on 32 Posts
Default 91 milligrams in 100 - 12,18,24 months?

Friend got caught drink driving (no not me, been there got the T-shirt!) last night.

Reading was 91 in 100. 23, Single mum on her own, needs car for work (like that will make any difference)

Anyone know what the outcome will be? Hoping for 12 but I suspect its going to be more.

Turning out to be a bad day all round sadly
Old 07 July 2005, 01:46 PM
MartinM
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by EddScott
Reading was 91 in 100.
<< The legal limit above which you must not drive is 35 milligrams of alcohol per 100 millilitres of breath or 80 milligrams of alcohol per 100 millilitres of blood >>

So was she 91 on the first or second scale?
Old 07 July 2005, 01:49 PM
EddScott
Scooby Regular

She only did breath. From experience they only offer blood if under 50. I was 52 on the breath but my blood was still something 89.

Her breath was 91 hence why I think she looking at more than 12 months.
Old 07 July 2005, 01:53 PM
Chip Sengravy
BANNED

Turning out to be a bad day all round sadly
Quite, but I dont think you will see any sympathy for somebody that drives while 3 times over the limit. Not really a comparison is it?
Old 07 July 2005, 02:01 PM
EddScott
Scooby Regular

Not looking for sympathy, looking for an idea of the ban this person is likely to get.

I hope the weather is nice upon that moral high ground
Old 07 July 2005, 02:01 PM
Scoob99
Scooby Regular

Any driver that drinks then drives deserves everthing they get, sorry to be so harsh, I myself nearly lost my life to a drunk driver and unless you have been their you do not have a clue what it does to someone's life, 9 years after my accident I'm still having to have surgury on my legs
Cheers
Colin
Old 07 July 2005, 02:04 PM
cookstar
Scooby Regular

A friend of mine (funny that) was donr for roughly the same amount, he recieved a three year ban with otion to reduce it to 2 1/2 years if went on a drink driving course, to look at pics of lots of DEAD people.

Sorry to say mate, is "she" needed her car that badly she would have thought before getting in it pi$$ed.

Hope this helps
Old 07 July 2005, 02:06 PM
EddScott
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Scoob99
Any driver that drinks then drives deserves everthing they get, sorry to be so harsh, I myself nearly lost my life to a drunk driver and unless you have been their you do not have a clue what it does to someone's life, 9 years after my accident I'm still having to have surgury on my legs
Cheers
Colin

Sorry to hear what happened to you scoob99, and I would agree that drink drivers do deserve what they get (me included however long the story) and again I'm not expecting anyone to say "Oh dear never mind" but just wondered if like me the feeling is shes going to get the higest punishment
Old 07 July 2005, 02:09 PM
Dazza's-STi
Scooby Regular

Prison if i were a JP... 3 months worth should do it...
no other comments needed!
Old 07 July 2005, 02:10 PM
Scoob99
Scooby Regular

Your friend is possibly looking at 2 year ban+ a heavy fine, BTW was it a random stop or was she involved in an accident?
Cheers
Colin
Old 07 July 2005, 02:11 PM
Brendan Hughes
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Can't do random stops? Has to be reasonable suspicion? Or has the law changed recently?
Old 07 July 2005, 02:15 PM
cookstar
Scooby Regular

I have been tested a few times on a random basis, near southend, never had a problem with it, and i think there should be more of them.

Cookie
EddScott
Scooby Regular

Apparently a cat ran out in front of her and she swerved to avoid it. The police car coming the other way decided to turn round and stop her - so she says anyway.
CrisPDuk
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Originally Posted by Brendan Hughes
Can't do random stops? Has to be reasonable suspicion? Or has the law changed recently?

I would imagine at three times over the limit, the standard of her driving was enough to cause reasonable suspicion

Echoing cookstars sentiment, her licence by definition can't be that important to her
Old 07 July 2005, 02:16 PM
Chip Sengravy
BANNED

Not looking for sympathy, looking for an idea of the ban this person is likely to get.

I hope the weather is nice upon that moral high ground
Nothing to do with being on moral high ground at all. You made a reference to todays events in your post, and it reads like you think she is also suffering misfortune. I was just pointing out that to compare the two is complete bollocks
Old 07 July 2005, 02:21 PM
EddScott
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Chip Sengravy
Nothing to do with being on moral high ground at all. You made a reference to todays events in your post, and it reads like you think she is also suffering misfortune. I was just pointing out that to compare the two is complete bollocks
Oh right, glad we cleared that up. So I'm not allowed to feel sad for my friend and feel sad for what has happened today?

No it doesn't compare and I did not intend to do so. I merely made reference to the fact that I'm feeling very sad for my friend and for everyone caught up in todays events.

Not arguing anymore. Got my answer thanks
Old 07 July 2005, 02:23 PM
cookstar
Scooby Regular

Apparently a cat ran out in front of her and she swerved to avoid it. The police car coming the other way decided to turn round and stop her - so she says anyway.
That ol' chestnut ay.
Old 07 July 2005, 02:31 PM
Brendan Hughes
Scooby Regular

(Sorry, if any 5-0 are reading, I'm genuinely curious to hear if the law now allows random stops.)
Old 07 July 2005, 02:41 PM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

(Sorry, if any 5-0 are reading, I'm genuinely curious to hear if the law now allows random stops.)
I think the answer, under normal circumstances is "no". A senior officer can allow it for a specified period, such as round Xmas time. However, stopping in order to breath test isn't going to require much imagination to make up something that will sufice.

Random stop-and-search
In general, a police constable may not search you without your consent in the hope that he will find something to justify the search. Nor may he search you to deter other people in the vicinity from carrying prohibited articles. There are, however, a number of situations in which `random' stop-and-search is lawful. The scope of random stop-and-search has increased recently, to the consternation of civil liberties campaigners. All these provisions require the authorisation of a senior police officer, and last for a limited time. The regulations governing the duration of the authorisation are complex, and depend on the seniority of the police officer giving authorisation, so I won't discuss them in detail here. In all cases you are entitled to a statement in writing showing the power under which the search was made and by whom it was authorised.

http://www.kevinboone.com/stopsearch.html
Old 07 July 2005, 02:57 PM
cookstar
Scooby Regular

Well speaking from my own experience only of course, i was stopped near southend seafront for no reason other than to breathalise me, while i was standing there having the teset, at least three other cars where pulled for the same thing.

It was some time ago, but i dont think it was near any festive season.

But i do remember the police officer telling me it was a random stop check for drinking. Maybe there had been a spate of dd cases in the area recently.

I was on my way within 5 mins, and it didint bother me one little bit, just hope their night wasnt fruitless in weeding out the arseholes that do drink and drive.

Cookie
Old 07 July 2005, 02:59 PM
Patriot
Scooby Regular

No it doesn't...but do you think that would stop them.
Old 07 July 2005, 03:08 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

Was she actually drunk? In the eyes of the law, and the lynch mob on here, she was over the legal limit for a breath/alcohol test, however, there is the possibility that she has a high tollerance for alcohol and thus she was not drunk.

No doubt I'll be lambasted for saying that, but it's not been mentioned if she was actually drunk or not. If she was, she is very silly indeed.

I'm no saint, I have on one or two occasions, out of sheer stupidity, driven when I knowingly should not have, and yes, if I had caused an accident and injure/killed someone, or had been pulled over, then I'd expect nothing but contempt.

I've also drunk 2 beers (some bud light stuff) and driven with no ill effects, possibly due to the low alcohol content of said beers, thus I *did* drink and drive, but I felt and drove no differently, even though I was technically drinking and driving, nothing to be proud of I know, just pointing out that there is a difference between having a drink and driving and driving drunk.
Old 07 July 2005, 03:22 PM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Markus
Was she actually drunk? In the eyes of the law, and the lynch mob on here, she was over the legal limit for a breath/alcohol test, however, there is the possibility that she has a high tollerance for alcohol and thus she was not drunk.

No doubt I'll be lambasted for saying that, but it's not been mentioned if she was actually drunk or not. If she was, she is very silly indeed.

I'm no saint, I have on one or two occasions, out of sheer stupidity, driven when I knowingly should not have, and yes, if I had caused an accident and injure/killed someone, or had been pulled over, then I'd expect nothing but contempt.

I've also drunk 2 beers (some bud light stuff) and driven with no ill effects, possibly due to the low alcohol content of said beers, thus I *did* drink and drive, but I felt and drove no differently, even though I was technically drinking and driving, nothing to be proud of I know, just pointing out that there is a difference between having a drink and driving and driving drunk.
By all accounts she was almost 3 times over the limit, there are no hard and fast rules, but 2-3 units are likely to put you over the limit, so between 6-9 units are likely to have been consumed. One unit of alcohol is 1 small glass (125ml) of wine (8% ABV). So to put it in to perspective that's between 1 and 1 and half bottles of wine and then getting in a car to drive. How sober would you be after a bottle of wine?
Old 07 July 2005, 03:43 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

Olly,
I cannot answer that as I don't drink wine. Probabably sounds pedantic, but it's true.

What does that equate to in pint terms?

Some people may well have the ability to drink 2 bottles of wine and legally be over the limit, but be physically fine. That's the point I was trying to make.

I know what my limits are, and I know when I should and should not drive, and as said, I've only been very silly twice, and i make no excuse for it either.
Old 07 July 2005, 03:50 PM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

Olly,
I cannot answer that as I don't drink wine. Probabably sounds pedantic, but it's true.

Some people may well have the ability to drink 2 bottles of wine and legally be over the limit, but be physically fine. That's the point I was trying to make.

I know what my limits are, and I know when I should and should not drive, and as said, I've only been very silly twice, and i make no excuse for it either.
Plenty of people may "think" they are physically fine after 2 bottles of wine, but I defy anybody to not show a degradation in reactiontime and co-ordination in reality.

2 units to the pint.

Again - you "think" you know what your limits are. You set yourself an arbitary limit based on what you think affects your ability. Of course, alchohol has the effect of making you more confident so you are more likely to think you are alright anyway.

Loughborough Uni did a study using the hazard awareness test used for the driving license. IIRC less than a pint has an effect on your abilty.
Old 07 July 2005, 03:51 PM
Brendan Hughes
Scooby Regular

What olly says. Research shows that it's not how much you drink, it's virtually if you drink at all.

I've seen people who can hardly stand saying "Don' worry bout me, a fel fiiine..."
Old 07 July 2005, 03:55 PM
Scumbag
Scooby Regular

Olly,

dont forget lots of studies show that it is perception that is affected...reaction times get slower, but your confidence in your ability goes up...so just because you "think" you are fine doesnt mean you actually are.
Just think of all the people who think they are attractive/sexy/clever/hard etc etc when they have been drinking...they arent, they just think that they are.
I agree with the fact that people are affected differently. I know someone who was banned for 12 months for being double the limit. He had drunk at least 10 pints (admittedly he was a frequent heavy drinker, so processed it very quickly). The 12 months was due to an 'incident' he had with a taxi on a roundabout (plod was waiting for him when he got home...taxi driver had called his reg in)
Old 07 July 2005, 04:15 PM
Spoon
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by OllyK
2 units to the pint.
That's to a pint of average beer too. Step up the strength and it can be more units to a pint.

Drink drivers should be shot. I know too many people left in a wheelchair for life due to a drink driver who more often than not walked away in an accident unscathed.

Personally I hope the useless bítch gets locked up.
Old 07 July 2005, 05:28 PM
Scoobydid
Scooby Regular

One of my employees got caught last xmas 3 times over, 1st offence so they didn't lock him up (was very close though) I had to write a letter etc.. He got 3 year ban, £175.00 fine 80 hrs community service. (and the fright of his life at the thought of being Bubba's bitch for a few months)
Old 07 July 2005, 05:44 PM
Tiggs
Scooby Regular

Apparently a cat ran out in front of her and she swerved to avoid it.

she should have gone with a better animal....perhaps a huge badger....or maybe an otter with a badger!

no one belives the cat pants anyway so she may as well have jazzed it up.

Quick Reply: 91 milligrams in 100 - 12,18,24 months?