Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

what to do next Career wise - long post sorry!

Search this Thread

Old 04 July 2005, 11:38 PM
106rallye
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question what to do next Career wise - long post sorry!

Thought I would try trusty scoobynet for some ideas!

graduated in 2001 with a 2:1 in computing and contracted for about 18 months after that.

Decided to do a winter season in St Anton as I knew I could pick up where I left off in IT - however I then went windsurfing all summer whilst working in a bar and also did another 2 winters seasons.

I am 25 now though and need to decide what I am doing

Should I:

A) keep looking for perm graduate jobs - finding it hard as most want fresh graduates

B) Get some more IT qualifications and if so MCSE or CCNA - I would idealy want to get involved in network design and installation as supposed to a systems admin role

C) sod it and go away for another winter of skiing, chalet girls and drinking - I have a nagging feeling that it will only be even harder when I come back next time

D) None of the above

C would obviously be the easiest option but I want a career and all my mates are starting to buy houses and get married etc feeling a bit left behind!

Any bright ideas??

Thanks

Andy
Old 05 July 2005, 12:04 AM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

Do B.At 25,look for long term settling solutions and then,have fun.
C is meant for freshers.
IMO.
Good luck
Old 05 July 2005, 12:10 AM
Kaiser Soze
Scooby Regular

Andy

FFS, C)

Worry about next year when it comes, you only live once mate. Life is not a dress rehersal

If you can live by your current means today then keep going. So what if your mates are now saddled with huge debts and have nagging bitches and no sex. Does that mean you have to do the same.

Live your life mate

If you are asking these questions and doubtful it means you arent ready for the rat race yet
Old 05 July 2005, 12:24 AM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

KKK! I take MO back!
Old 05 July 2005, 09:31 PM
GCollier
Scooby Regular

Look for a job and get some solid up to date experience, even if you only stay for a couple of years before taking some time out again.

At 25 you can easily explain away the fact you've only had 18 months proper work experience and spent a couple of years enjoying yourself. Once you get to the other side of 25 and start approaching 30 you'll find that's not so easily the case and your CV will go straight in the bin.

Gary.
Old 05 July 2005, 09:38 PM
CooperS
Scooby Regular

MCSE=pants
CCNA=good
Old 05 July 2005, 09:49 PM
TopBanana
Scooby Regular

C get away with it whilst you still can!
Old 05 July 2005, 10:10 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

Who wants to buy a house

A) will never happen...graduate jobs do not exist, and if they do - most are crap with uncertain or dubious prospects (i.e better off working a bar and having some fun)

B) Qualifications is one thing, experience is something completely different. You can have a CV full of qualifications and it'll still get binned without the experience.

C) Do what you love to do...comming back to somthing you really honestly love to do (i.e not a chore) will never be hard...however if your doing it for the moeny and high wage, well thats something else

Lifes too short to be stuck behind a desk
Old 05 July 2005, 11:25 PM
106rallye
Scooby Regular

The trouble is option C is getting me into debt and tbh doesn't have any prospects. I have thought about becoming a ski instructor but I don't think i could take teaching beginners when its just dropped a foot of snow

I am also absolutly skint! and you don't make any money at all, each season has prob cost me about 700 quid which is not good!

Thanks for the advice so far though keep it coming!

Andy
Old 06 July 2005, 01:22 AM
kammy
Scooby Regular

C) is a bad move IMHO. My bro is in the I.T sector and when he lost his job found it very difficult to keep with the dynamic I.T (!!) sector, and ended up being unemplyed for 16months. Get some qualifications, and try to get a job while you can. You dont want to enjoy life now and be completly washed up when your 30+ as mentioned above. Plan for a rosey future.

Kam
Old 06 July 2005, 08:39 AM
AndyC_772
Scooby Regular

There's no reason why you shouldn't be able to to A and B together. I work for a small electronics company and we have several guys at work doing part-time and evening courses: one is doing accountancy, another is doing photography, and another is doing CCNA. It's just a matter of finding the right company and asking. If they'd want you to have CCNA then they might even sponsor you to do it.

You'll find option C a lot easier when you have a job and a few £££ in the bank
Old 07 July 2005, 09:37 PM
mark1234
Scooby Regular

Location: Where women glow and men plunder, Xbox Gamertag Upsidedownmark

second that... fun is all well, but don't sell your future for fun now - I know a lot of sailing instructors who are heading into the wrong halves of their 20's... they have a blast, but what in 5-10 years.

Personally I'm 30, in telecoms, and contracting. 7 months makes me about 35k - what I earned salaried 10 months ago... I've since done 3 months in oz, month in cham. Fully plan on some time either windsurfing in oz / snowboarding canada when this contract is up. Also looking to take jobs in interesting places.. combine work and travel.

Add to that, whilst traveling and having fun, I did everything I wanted - felt that a lot of people living on pot noodles and staying in were missing out. Can't wait to do it again