Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

AA causes fury by publishing its first-ever map of speed cameras

Search this Thread

Old 28 June 2005, 12:25 PM
unclebuck
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up AA causes fury by publishing its first-ever map of speed cameras

This has got the idiots at Transport 2000 going mental.

http://news.independent.co.uk/uk/tra...p?story=649764

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article...671049,00.html

And since when were the loonies at Transport 2000 road safety 'experts'? They are nothing more than a bunch of crazed lentil munchers with vitamin and mineral deficiencies.

Has anybody seen this atlas on sale anywhere? I want to buy one as a statement of solidarity with the AA for such a sensible and public spirited move.

UB
Old 28 June 2005, 12:32 PM
The_Gza
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

It'll be in Bargain Books for £5 any time now

Think I'll buy one out of solidary for their efforts too - think upon it as £5-worth of FU to Transport 2000 and the Lentilists
Old 28 June 2005, 12:35 PM
Nicks VR4
Scooby Regular

Yeah saw this last night on the news PMSL

Maps here http://www.theaa.com/bookshop/whats_new.html links to Amazon

Nick
Old 28 June 2005, 12:40 PM
Jerome
Scooby Regular

This is the first indication I've seen for a long time that the AA actually represents motorists (as it did originally).

Anything that enrages these so-called safety feckwits is an excellent thing in my book.

Edited to add:

Typical of the [non]Independent to quote incorrect statistics, probably sourced from a safety loony:

"Breaking the speed limit or using inappropriate speed for the driving conditions is a factor in 40 per cent of all fatal road crashes"

Even if this 40% figure were true (IIRC the TRL say it is 6-7%), it still means 60% of deaths are not caused by speed, but by bad driving.

Last edited by Jerome; 28 June 2005 at 12:46 PM.
Old 28 June 2005, 12:45 PM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

By complaining about it, they kind of shoot themeselves in the foot that the cameras are about "safety", sure if these cameras are genuinely located at dangerous accident blackspots, everything possible should be done to warn drivers that it is a dangerous location? Or are the nut jobs suggesting we remove road signs that warn of mud on the road or sharp bends because people may be warned of the danger in advance and avoid and accident? They really do need to get their stories straight.
Old 28 June 2005, 12:50 PM
RayC
Scooby Regular

Talking

OllyK you beat me to it, the cameras can now only give the motorist advanced warning over dangerous roads, surely?!!?
Old 28 June 2005, 12:59 PM
supertouring
Scooby Regular

I agree with OllyK.

Surely this atlas only gives you the same info (for a lot less) that a typical GPS device does? So why the fuss against the AA?

Trending Topics

Old 28 June 2005, 01:45 PM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by supertouring
I agree with OllyK.

Surely this atlas only gives you the same info (for a lot less) that a typical GPS device does? So why the fuss against the AA?
Their fuss is that by publishing explicitly which roads are dangerous they have implicity published which roads are safe and camera free. Their belief then is that this will encourage everybody to head for those roads and to exceed the speed limit. Obviously forgetting about road congestion, talivans and what few mobile traffic police there are and more importantly, that for most of us, speeding isn't a compulsion.
Old 28 June 2005, 02:31 PM
New_scooby_04

Originally Posted by OllyK
Their fuss is that by publishing explicitly which roads are dangerous they have implicity published which roads are safe and camera free. Their belief then is that this will encourage everybody to head for those roads and to exceed the speed limit. Obviously forgetting about road congestion, talivans and what few mobile traffic police there are and more importantly, that for most of us, speeding isn't a compulsion.
That, my learned friend, is a common sense argument. It will be lost on them completely!

As JC once said, "arguing with these people is as pointless as arguing with a mug of tea!"

NS04

P.S. and I STILL prefered Eric Idle!!
Old 28 June 2005, 02:35 PM
New_scooby_04

Steve Hounsham of Transport 2000:
"The only people interested in the location of speed cameras are those who like breaking speed limits but want to know when they need to put their foot on the brake to escape being caught.
"The AA is helping those motorists who want to break the law escape detection. This is like publishing the position of all police stations in a special atlas for car thieves."

I mean, really! Where do you start on that argument!!

The mind boggles!!
Old 28 June 2005, 02:39 PM
KiwiGTI
Scooby Regular

This is the first indication I've seen for a long time that the AA actually represents motorists (as it did originally).
It doesn't and it's not supposed to, it's a company that exists with the sole purpose to make money for its parent companies and investors.
Old 28 June 2005, 02:42 PM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by New_scooby_04
Steve Hounsham of Transport 2000:
"The only people interested in the location of speed cameras are those who like breaking speed limits but want to know when they need to put their foot on the brake to escape being caught.
"The AA is helping those motorists who want to break the law escape detection. This is like publishing the position of all police stations in a special atlas for car thieves."

I mean, really! Where do you start on that argument!!

The mind boggles!!
Numpty - he obviously hasn't looked at an O/S map recently, or hasn't figured out that "Pol Sta" means Police Station
http://www.ordnancesurvey.co.uk/oswe...Legend-Eng.pdf
Old 28 June 2005, 03:16 PM
Jerome
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by KiwiGTI
It doesn't and it's not supposed to, it's a company that exists with the sole purpose to make money for its parent companies and investors.
I'm sure that is true now, but it certainly wasn't in the days when AA patrolmen used to salute AA members.

Maybe they should remove the "Automobile" from their name...

...or rename themselves the Automobile Assocation Revenue Service. AARS for short.
Old 28 June 2005, 03:19 PM
Brendan Hughes
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Numpty - he obviously hasn't looked at an O/S map recently, or hasn't figured out that "Pol Sta" means Police Station
Not sure about modern satnav, but aren't police stations already listed as POIs? (Along with the speed cameras )
Old 28 June 2005, 03:25 PM
New_scooby_04

LOL. Exactly! Send it to Transport 2000's website!

Besides, theives don't need an Atlas to establish the best locations for nicking cars. Since there is little to disuade them in terms of meaningful punishment and the poor police are busy enforcing the will of these twonks, no-where's safe!

Still, you can't speed if your cars been nicked! So, good show Transport 2000

NS04
Old 28 June 2005, 05:22 PM
carl
Scooby Regular

Lots of "safety camera partnerships" publish the locations of cameras on their websites and even where the mobile ones are going to be on local radio. How is this any different?
Old 28 June 2005, 05:46 PM
CrisPDuk
Scooby Regular

Cool

Originally Posted by Jerome
Even if this 40% figure were true (IIRC the TRL say it is 6-7%), it still means 60% of deaths are not caused by speed, but by bad driving.
Even that statement isn't entirely correct, because you have forgotten about the over 30% that are pedestrian fatalities, caused by the pedestrian. The instance last year involving the illegal immigrant who hit a kid playing chicken on a dual carriageway springs immediately to mind.

BTW did anyone hear the 'discussion' about this on the Jeremy Vine show yesterday, I can't remember the name of the AA's spokeswoman, but she made both Vine (being his usual blatantly biased self) and that arsehole Mary Williams from Brake look a complete pair of numptie *****
Old 28 June 2005, 06:58 PM
boomer
Scooby Senior

I am sure that i saw this atlas in WH Smith at Ventura Park in Tamworth about a month ago I must admit, the camera symbols aren't the clearest in the world - and you would be a fool to drive with a map open on your steering wheel

mb