Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

mountain bike question - which road tyres and deore xt setup?

Search this Thread

Old 22 June 2005, 02:14 PM
NeilT
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question mountain bike question - which road tyres and deore xt setup?

Hi

I'm looking to swap my off road tyres on my Kona Explosiv to something a little easier on the road, can anyone make a recommendation? Wiggle seem to have a good selection. Still need to do light off roading, but probably more on road than off at the moment.

Also - anyone got a guide on setting up Deore Xt gears - seems they are slightly out - boucing between gears at times?

thanks

Neil
Old 22 June 2005, 02:42 PM
wvoce
Scooby Regular

If you still want to off road at this time of year (dry!!) semi slicks might be a good option (Panaracer do em) or a very low profile knobbly pattern which i am sure all manufacturers do. what you using now?

think this months MBR had a section on tuning gears.

Put the rear mech in highest gear(smallest sprocket) and undo the cable clamp on the mech. Make sure the barrel adjuster on the shifter is turned all the way in and also the one on the mech. Take up slack in cable and tighten cable clamp back up.

Push rear shifter up one-mech should move up and maybe into next gear, it might not so do the following. Now u need to adjust the barrel adjuster on the mech anti clockwise until the mech shifts up to the next sprocket. Turn another half and then see if you can get them all up and down. If you cant u need to go back to second smallest sprocket and tweak the adjuster -little turns can make a difference.

It can take a few goes but you wil get it. Stick a new cable in as well-this will strecth so you may need to adjust again in a few rides.

Hope it helps

will
Old 22 June 2005, 03:20 PM
ChrisB

Wiggle.co.uk were doing a pair of Specialized Semi-slicks for £25 (with two inner tubes).