Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Dealer cocked up new car order- ideas?

Search this Thread

Old 21 June 2005, 03:54 PM
RRH
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dealer cocked up new car order- ideas?

Please don't ask me name and shame, as I have no intention of doing so.

Ordered a new BMW X3 for the wife in late feb this year. The spec she wanted was mystic blue with light sand beige leather. Not really my cup of tea, but the contract hire deal was exceptional.

We were originally told April delivery, then May, then were told the latest it would be was 22nd June.

I was quite pleased this morning to get the call to say the car had arrived. As we have sold the wife's car, she's been using mine, and I've been using the STi when its not broken

Anyway, dealer tells me that they had loads of them delivered yesterday and could I remember which colour we had ordered; as we were struggling for transport he'd get it to us sooner than next monday as he originally suggested.

I told him 'mystic with light sand beige', he went quiet, then told me he needed to check something and would call me straight back, which he did.

Then he dropped the bombshell; the car that had arrived in our name is black with black leather. He said he couldn't understand how it had happened as he had the hard copy of the order in front of him and it was quite clearly mystic blue with light sand beige.

Here's the problem. Wife doesn't want black, and I can't say I blame her. My pickup is black and it looks stunning for about 3 minutes after its washed. Nor does she want to drive a black BMW with black leather, and I can't blame her for that either. If we'd wanted black with black we wouldn't have waited anywhere near as long as we have apparently.

He says he can get me the colour combination we ordered, but get this, it will be september at the earliest as it will be (like the last one) factory order.

Any ideas?
Old 21 June 2005, 03:58 PM
STi wanna Subaru
Scooby Regular

Tell him you want a car to use of simialr spec to what you ordered until the correct car arrives.
Old 21 June 2005, 03:58 PM
davegtt
Scooby Senior

tell him to stuff his order and get some compensation for being messed about and buy second hand?

or stay with what you want, wait til sept but ask for a chucky discount?

mother always told me dont get if you dont ask...
Old 21 June 2005, 04:13 PM
RRH
Scooby Regular

contract hire, and can't find another deal anywhere near as good, so need to stick with it.

just had a call to say that they can get me the right spec for the end of July, which ain't so bad, and they'll lend me a demo in the mean time. asked for an M5 but I'm not hopeful at the moment.....

thanks for the advice guys,
simon
Old 21 June 2005, 04:17 PM
DBY
Scooby Regular

Best to get her what she wants I would demand a free loan car untill september and get a letter in writing confirming that if the price goes up in the mean time that they will absorb this cost and guarantee the contact hire price that you have been quoted.

We all make mistakes

John
Old 21 June 2005, 04:23 PM
RRH
Scooby Regular

You're quite right John, everyone is entitled to make a mistake.

I'm not entirely satisfied that this is an innocent mistake, and suspect that someone in the know has fancied our spec, but I'm not going to lose any sleep over it.

At the end of the day the dealer has made a real effort to put this right so I will go along with it- they've offered me a 320D touring until our car comes through, and that will do the job. I'm quite pleased that they've done all this off their own back and I haven't had to shout..... so far
Old 21 June 2005, 04:29 PM
Brendan Hughes
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Push them for a 330D, enjoy yourself - friend of mine had a similar problem the other way round ironically, they gave him an X3 until his 320D arrived!!

Can't believe the thread's already 30 mins old and no-one's criticised you for buying an X3...
Old 21 June 2005, 04:33 PM
Brendan Hughes
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Another thought - see if they can do something nice like ?upgrading the stereo for free. They might not give you money off, but they could add something at cost to them and saving you a fortune.
Old 21 June 2005, 04:33 PM
RRH
Scooby Regular

£249 a month, 24 months, 10k pa, X3 sport, 18s, leather etc etc

one hell of a car for the money
Old 21 June 2005, 04:35 PM
DBY
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

RRH sounds pretty much sorted then, best to get it in writting though, just in case the saleman leaves and nobody noes a thing at delivery time.

John
Old 21 June 2005, 04:46 PM
Account deleted by request
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by RRH
£249 a month, 24 months, 10k pa, X3 sport, 18s, leather etc etc

one hell of a car for the money
What are they paying you that much to drive it?

chopper
Old 21 June 2005, 04:55 PM
New To Scoob
Scooby Regular

Tell them to stick it and ask for some large compensation for the hassel, then come up to Parks of Hamilton and buy a Pre-reg for mucho discount as the dealers are stuggling to move them up here.

John.
Old 21 June 2005, 04:58 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

Someone, somewhere, has messed up. Depending on how nice you are depends on how loud you shout at the Dealer, who is the person you're directly dealing with.

Providing they aren't telling porkies about what is on their order sheet, and me being me, I'd like to see that bit of paper, just to make sure. Then it's not the dealers fault.

Regardless of this, the car is not to your ordered specifcation and the dealer needs to right this asap, especially as it's been delayed in the first place.

A hefty discount, and/or no-cost specification upgrade of your choosing would be nice, maybe free or disciounted servicing as well/instead, as would a loan car (all insurance and fuel costs paid by the dealer) could be considered acceptable recompense for this mistake.

A tad harsh for a simple mistake? Perhaps, but, you're the customer, you have ordered product, product has not been delievered on time, and when it did arrrive, it did not meet required specifications, and thus was unfit for use, and as such, it needs resolving, quickly, and with compensation.
Old 21 June 2005, 05:22 PM
gsm1
Scooby Regular

I'm not entirely satisfied that this is an innocent mistake, and suspect that someone in the know has fancied our spec, but I'm not going to lose any sleep over it.
No way is it an innocent mistake. He's most likely given yours to someone else to close a sale and thought he could blag you with this one.
Old 21 June 2005, 05:44 PM
Freak
Scooby Regular

agreed
someone probably wanted the same colour/spec and had the cash as opposed to getting it on finance.....
Old 21 June 2005, 07:40 PM
boxst
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Freak
agreed
someone probably wanted the same colour/spec and had the cash as opposed to getting it on finance.....
Hello

Usually the reverse. If I go and tell a dealer I want to pay cash they don't even want to play.

Steve