Name of Busking instrument

Search this Thread

Old 21 June 2005, 01:56 PM
mad_dr
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Name of Busking instrument

Afternoon all. Random question time:

What is the name of the musical instrument used by some street musicians/buskers. It's a stringed instrument that is played sitting down. It's a kind of wooden frame (no not a harp) that sits on the floor and resembles the inside of a tiny piano so the strings run parallel to the floor, not vertically. Probably about 50cm across. The distinguishing feature is: It's played with hammer-style-implements! Different strings obviously play different notes.

Any ideas? It's driving me and a friend at work mad!
Old 21 June 2005, 01:57 PM
boxst
Scooby Regular

"Goddam annoying I'm going to kill you in a minute" I think is its official name.

Steve
Old 21 June 2005, 01:58 PM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

Sounds like a harpsichord
Old 21 June 2005, 02:01 PM
lightning101
Scooby Regular

Octave Mandola & Hammer
Old 21 June 2005, 02:01 PM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

Or a "hurdy gurdy"?
http://www.si.umich.edu/chico/instru...urdy_gnrl.html
Old 21 June 2005, 02:03 PM
lightning101
Scooby Regular

Or a Santouri

A very old instrument, the santouri is possibly the ancient Psalterion or Epigonio. Its name is possibly from the Persian santour or santir. Its shape is trapezoid, with a sound box of 4-5cm in length and measures 50-65cm in width or 100cm in length. On the top of the sound box, the strings are located in 2, 3 or 4th, tuned in tafto phonia. The bass strings are single. There are also two kavalli that divide the instrument into two parts. On the first part, the strings are tuned according to the diatonic scale; while on the other, the strings are tuned according to the chromatic scale.It has 100-140 strings and produces 30-32 notes. The high strings are made of bronze or steel, and the bass strings are made of copper. It has 7 contrabass strings with a range of 3 octaves. It starts from f-contrabass and ends in b. It is played by using two mallets that have thread or cotton at the end so they can produce a soft sound. It is an instrument of accompaniment. It is made of pine or walnut wood. In. Greece, Tasos Diakogiorgis is a famous teacher and the best player of the santouri.
Old 21 June 2005, 02:10 PM
Brendan Hughes
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Zither. But I think that's plucked, not played with a hammer.
Old 21 June 2005, 02:17 PM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Brendan Hughes
Zither. But I think that's plucked, not played with a hammer.
actually...

Zither
General information:
The name 'zither' refers both to a specific instrument and the name of a family of chordophones. The characteristic feature of this family is the zither's structure - essentially, it is a wooden sound box; unlike the guitar or violin, it has no 'neck'. Wire (or sometimes gut) strings run the length of the sound box. They date back at least to 2000 B.C., when variants such as the psaltery were used by ancient Greek and Egyptian cultures. Portable, accessible, easily constructed and easily played, these instruments may be plucked (that is - you use a 'pick' to strum the strings) or struck with wooden mallets.

http://www.si.umich.edu/chico/instrument/
Old 21 June 2005, 02:26 PM
Brendan Hughes
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Cheers Olly, it's learning time again. I don't think my parents' one has a hammer, I've always seen it plucked.

Ah well, that's me plucked then
Old 21 June 2005, 04:07 PM
mad_dr
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by lightning101
Or a Santouri

A very old instrument, the santouri is possibly the ancient Psalterion or Epigonio. Its name is possibly from the Persian santour or santir. Its shape is trapezoid, with a sound box of 4-5cm in length and measures 50-65cm in width or 100cm in length. On the top of the sound box, the strings are located in 2, 3 or 4th, tuned in tafto phonia. The bass strings are single. There are also two kavalli that divide the instrument into two parts. On the first part, the strings are tuned according to the diatonic scale; while on the other, the strings are tuned according to the chromatic scale.It has 100-140 strings and produces 30-32 notes. The high strings are made of bronze or steel, and the bass strings are made of copper. It has 7 contrabass strings with a range of 3 octaves. It starts from f-contrabass and ends in b. It is played by using two mallets that have thread or cotton at the end so they can produce a soft sound. It is an instrument of accompaniment. It is made of pine or walnut wood. In. Greece, Tasos Diakogiorgis is a famous teacher and the best player of the santouri.

That looks like one!

It's not a harpsichord because AFIK that hass keys and sounds more like a piano that's fooked.

It's not a Zither because it just doesn't look like one and a Mandola is a guitar which this thing isn't - looks quite a lot like the photos above though so Santouri it is!.. I think.
Old 21 June 2005, 08:20 PM
fast bloke
Scooby Regular

bagpipes?