Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Can I get E4 on my Sky box?

Search this Thread

Old 18 June 2005, 05:14 PM
Jer
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can I get E4 on my Sky box?

I cancelled Sky the other month but noticed E4 is now on freeview. I still have the sky box and get free channels but don't get E4 or Men and motors. Any ideas how do do this.
Old 18 June 2005, 09:05 PM
paulr
Scooby Regular

Its not on the free channels no,you need a subscription package.
Something to do with SKY and an old CH4 contract.
Old 19 June 2005, 02:56 AM
Mk2_heaven
Scooby Regular

i have a freeview box and i got em cant you just "add new channels"
Old 19 June 2005, 08:07 AM
Jer
Scooby Regular

Okay thanks. So am I better with freeview or my old Sky box with no subsciption? Anyone got both?
Old 19 June 2005, 08:53 AM
PG
Scooby Regular

I was in the same situation Jer. We went down to the basic SKY package but noticed that Freeview was getting a few channels more and then the whole E4 thing went Freeview too (might go back to PPV after Big Brother if they are sneaky) so I went out and bought a box with HDD recorder.
I dont watch a lot of TV but now have both systems and tbh SKY is never used despite their opperating system being a bit better than Freeview.
Old 19 June 2005, 09:51 AM
class_A
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by PG
I was in the same situation Jer. We went down to the basic SKY package but noticed that Freeview was getting a few channels more and then the whole E4 thing went Freeview too (might go back to PPV after Big Brother if they are sneaky) so I went out and bought a box with HDD recorder.
I dont watch a lot of TV but now have both systems and tbh SKY is never used despite their opperating system being a bit better than Freeview.
E4 are committed to being free-to-air (FTA) on Freeview. They were part of the TopUpTV package, but have now been replaced by British Eurosport. E4+1 on Freeview will be replaced by More 4 later this year.

E4 is currently subscription only on Sky, and Channel 4 have said it will remain so for the forseeable future (their Sky contract expires in 2008). But, you can get a lot of other channels without a monthly payment, although you will still need a viewing card as they are encrypted to prevent viewing on the continent due to the way rights are sold. Have a look at Freesat. You can use your existing system so if you are thinking of cancelling Sky and going Freeview, keep hold of your Digibox so you can tape one digi channel whilst watching another, or have digital in two rooms.

A Freesat viewing card is £20 if you already have the equipment, no need to pay the £150 advertised on the site.

Last edited by class_A; 19 June 2005 at 09:58 AM.
Old 19 June 2005, 10:16 AM
druddle
Scooby Regular

Neither E4, British Eurosport or Motors TV are available on Sky Freesat. I should know, its killing me not being abot to see the World Sidecars and the MotoGP !!!

Dave