Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Selling cars on ebay

Search this Thread

Old 17 June 2005, 09:25 AM
davegtt
Scooby Senior

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Selling cars on ebay

Hello there. Im looking into a couple of ventures atm, buying motors from car auctions with a mate whos experienced in this and then selling on, on ebay. although looking at the ebay fees Im lost... it mentions percentages etc etc which all makes sence would work out about £20-30 then next thing I know Im reading a listing fee of £35.... got me lost, dont want to pay £50+ to sell a car on ebay....

anyone had any experience in selling motors on ebay?
Old 17 June 2005, 09:48 AM
Dracoro
Scooby Regular

Why not sell on autotrader? Get's better exposure and I'd guess a better price too. eBay is mainly usedful for cheap or unusual cars.
Old 17 June 2005, 09:53 AM
Scooby Soon!
Scooby Regular

From my experiance over the last 2 years, 4 vehicles in autotrader.....Nothing

4 vehicles on ebay all sold! You will get loads of stupid emails and you need to watch the auction like a hawk to keep the 0 feedback bidders off of it. Cant tell you the exact fee but off the top of my head its something like £6 insertion and if you sell it about another £20ish.

Main thing is put loads of photos (I put 32 on my last advert) you will get more money for your car!

Last edited by Scooby Soon!; 17 June 2005 at 09:58 AM.
Old 17 June 2005, 10:17 AM
davegtt
Scooby Senior

must admit, sold my other cars on autotrader but get lots of annoying calls etc.... and ebay seems a little easier than fannying about with autotrader...
Old 17 June 2005, 10:33 AM
mannyo
Scooby Regular

Just sold my old mondeo on ebay, trouble free transaction. The ebay fees for my car which sold for £350 was £29. You can configure ebay to only accept bids from the uk and 5 feedback or more automatically removing some of the need to watch your auction. I also asked for a small deposit via paypal and the rest via cash to avoid most of paypal fees.
Old 17 June 2005, 10:40 AM
Jap2Scrap
Scooby Regular

Well, we 'sold' the gf's Clio on Ebay during the free listing day a fortnight ago. The buyer didn't bother getting in contact and only replied to mails when Ebay got involved (after 7 days).

Their response? "Oh, sorry, we meant to let you know we'd changed our minds."

Arseholes. Daren't leave duff feedback in case they leave us some for spite. Just said, "Thanks for nothing you timewasters." on the dispute form and left it at that.

So as infuriating as Autotrader can be, Ebay (the customers rather than the site) is not all that either.
Old 17 June 2005, 11:57 AM
RB170
Scooby Regular

I recently sold an MX5 on ebay with no hassle at all, I paid £30 fees
Old 17 June 2005, 12:09 PM
ChristianR
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Jap2Scrap
Well, we 'sold' the gf's Clio on Ebay during the free listing day a fortnight ago. The buyer didn't bother getting in contact and only replied to mails when Ebay got involved (after 7 days).

Their response? "Oh, sorry, we meant to let you know we'd changed our minds."

Arseholes. Daren't leave duff feedback in case they leave us some for spite. Just said, "Thanks for nothing you timewasters." on the dispute form and left it at that.

So as infuriating as Autotrader can be, Ebay (the customers rather than the site) is not all that either.
samething happened to me
Old 17 June 2005, 12:40 PM
ScooBStu
Scooby Regular

I put a polo GT on - H reg and reasonable condition - The engine was very strong. The person who won it for £300 came round and from the onset he had realised he couldnt insure it - Reckoned there was something wrong with it and left. He did give me a tenner for listing but it really annoyed me.

I like the idea of feedback on ebay though as if it is someone who regurlarly sells cars you can read others comments - I think it proivdes an indication to a persons honesty - But make sure you check what they were buying previously!!!!! The downside to the trader is you dont have a clue who you are buying it off.
Old 17 June 2005, 12:49 PM
terencetrent
Scooby Newbie

lots of timewasters on ebay
and african scam artists so watch out!